Any other Equestrians out there?!

Options
So I LOVE my horses!

I have 2! A gelding that is semi-retired after 13 years together in the jumper ring, and a gelding that just turned 2 and I just sat on for the first time last weekend! (Proud Momma Moment!)

Since neither of my horses are in full training, and my competitive priorities are no longer the same, I believe that has lead to some of my weight gain...No excuse now! I am getting my self in shape for my youngster! I would ask him to be in shape, so I will return the favor for him!

Especially in Equitation classes I find our sport to be one of the hardest on body image (I was also a gymnast when I was young...can we say torture on the self esteem?!)

ANYWAYS all this blabber is to hopefully friend some fellow riders! :)

Replies

• thefullmontysmom
    thefullmontysmom Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    wow so this topic was a major flop! :yawn:
  • shanse21
    shanse21 Posts: 26
    Options
    You replied to my topic, but I figured I'd reply back to you here! There are few better full body workouts than riding a horse. I was in the best shape of my life when I was riding a minimum of 5 dressage horses every day. Talk about core strength!

My true love is eventing, but I sold my event horse after college and have been working at dressage stables for the last three years. I'm no longer working at stables full time, but I'm still fortunate enough to get a couple catch rides here and there. Hopefully someday I'll be able to have my own again.

Young horses are so exciting and rewarding. When are you going to start it, and for what discipline?
  • Dina275
    Dina275 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of horses, I'm in no way a serious rider though, I just ride around our farm and the roads. My horse has been out of action since about November last year when he injured a ligament in one of his front legs, but that's all healed up now and I'm planning on bringing him back into work after Winter (I live in New Zealand, so it's winter down here atm). And hopefully by that time I'll be lighter than I am now, I always felt guilty when I was heavier and my poor horse had to haul me around, he's not really very big himself.