• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I think you should try and eat more true "Foods" looking at your diary. Really try and get protein in. Good luck!
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Going by what everyone else said and my own experiance.

>You need to increase your intake to 1200 cals.
    >You need more protein.

I think you should drink some green tea, about 3-4 cups to help speed up your metabolism.
    Also, if your working out or running a lot dont be surprised if you gained weight. I gained 5 pounds when I first started going to the gym.
  • fortyfive67
    Options
    That's what I want to know.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure .... what your body needs to maintain your current weight

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    They're hardly theories!
    Indeed. "Myths" or "Group think" would be better descriptions.

I fail to see how simple math is a "myth" - Take all the calories you burn in a day. Subtract a little from them. Eat that amount. Lose weight. That seems more common sense than "group think" or "theory."

If anything, I think the idea that you have to only eat 1200 calories a day, be miserable and feel hungry all the time to lose weight is more of a theory/myth/group think.....because it obviously doesn't work so well, or else the millions of people who try to lose weight every year wouldn't still be looking for answers.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options

OP - Even though I didn't mention it, protein is extremely important too. Really the message I'm hoping to get across here is that it is more important to make certain that your diet is nutritionally sound than it is to cut as many calories as possible from your diet. You can PM me if you want to talk about it more. I'm not going to continue to engage newbies who haven't even begun to do the research that I have.

PM'd. Thank you!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing everyday, it's most likely water fluctuations, unless you have underlying undiagnosed medical conditions

I simply want to admire these abs in the profile picture...:flowerforyou:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You have caused your metabolism to slow way down. Find out what your TDEE is and eat that for a month. Ignore the scale because you are going to gain no matter what you do. After a month, shave 300 calories off your TDEE and you body will burn mostly body fat.

So zig-zag my calories?

No... eat at TDEE for a month to reset your metabolism. Then, do not eat less than 300 calories below TDEE. Eating less than that will cause your body to use much more than stored body fat for fuel.

Be aware this 'resetting your metabolism' thing is 100% a forum theory. So is 'don't eat below your BMR'.

Your small fluctuations are almost certainly water. Ignore it and forge ahead.

They're hardly theories!

Ok, could you source out the idea that people shouldn't eat less than 300 calories than their TDEE? Because that's not even a lb a week, and I've never heard that a lb a week will cause your body to cannibalize you muscles.

And how accurate are these online TDEE calculators? 300 is such a small deficit any error in the numbers could eat it up.

First off, I learned this from someone with a degree in nutritional science. And I read it in the New Rules of Lifting for Women. While achieving weight loss is a matter of calories in/calories out, there is more at work within the body. What you are eating is also extremely important. The body produces hormones, such as cortisol and grehlin. Cortisol is a stress hormone that increases the body's efficiency at burning calories in order to force your body to function with fewer calories. Grehlin is the hormone that generates the feeling of hunger. If your diet is lacking in unsaturated fats (and you're in a calorie deficit), the body immediately assumes its starving and begins to generate these hormones.

Electrolytes also impact weight. The body uses minerals, such as sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. A deficiency of any of these minerals creates an imbalance and in reaction, the body absorbs excess waters into cells and they swell. Women actually have additional water retention issues that are just mandatory, and can't be avoided.

People who are in a calorie deficit for long periods of time, inevitably, develop nutrition deficiencies that disrupt water balance or cause the body to generate hormones like cortisol and grehlin. The closer you are to TDEE, the easier it is to ensure that you achieve the balanced diet that your body needs. If you don't fulfill those needs, then your body will work against your efforts to lose weight.

You can call them theories, but all of this is based in science. If anything, MFP's "3500 calories = 1lb" and "deficits based on BMR" are more the forum theory than this. Sure, 3500 calories would and should equal a 1lb of weight loss, but that is total weight loss and NOT fat loss. Depending on whether your diet is balanced or not, that 1lb could be 3/4 fat + 1/4 water or 1/4 fat +1/4 water + 1/2 muscle or it could just be 1lb of water.

Besides... I ate a 300 calorie deficit below my TDEE for the last 3 weeks and lost 13 lbs. Sure, a lot of it was water, but what wasn't was a little muscle and a lot of fat.

OP - Even though I didn't mention it, protein is extremely important too. Really the message I'm hoping to get across here is that it is more important to make certain that your diet is nutritionally sound than it is to cut as many calories as possible from your diet. You can PM me if you want to talk about it more. I'm not going to continue to engage newbies who haven't even begun to do the research that I have.

Wait, so the answer to the question "could you source" was no.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Oh.
    Personally I thought it was "I learned this from someone with a degree in nutritional science. And I read it in the New Rules of Lifting for Women."
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    You have caused your metabolism to slow way down. Find out what your TDEE is and eat that for a month. Ignore the scale because you are going to gain no matter what you do. After a month, shave 300 calories off your TDEE and you body will burn mostly body fat.

So zig-zag my calories?

No... eat at TDEE for a month to reset your metabolism. Then, do not eat less than 300 calories below TDEE. Eating less than that will cause your body to use much more than stored body fat for fuel.

Be aware this 'resetting your metabolism' thing is 100% a forum theory. So is 'don't eat below your BMR'.

They're hardly theories!

Ok, could you source out the idea that people shouldn't eat less than 300 calories than their TDEE? Because that's not even a lb a week, and I've never heard that a lb a week will cause your body to cannibalize you muscles.

And how accurate are these online TDEE calculators? 300 is such a small deficit any error in the numbers could eat it up.

First off, I learned this from someone with a degree in nutritional science. And I read it in the New Rules of Lifting for Women. While achieving weight loss is a matter of calories in/calories out, there is more at work within the body. What you are eating is also extremely important. The body produces hormones, such as cortisol and grehlin. Cortisol is a stress hormone that increases the body's efficiency at burning calories in order to force your body to function with fewer calories. Grehlin is the hormone that generates the feeling of hunger. If your diet is lacking in unsaturated fats (and you're in a calorie deficit), the body immediately assumes its starving and begins to generate these hormones.

Electrolytes also impact weight. The body uses minerals, such as sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. A deficiency of any of these minerals creates an imbalance and in reaction, the body absorbs excess waters into cells and they swell. Women actually have additional water retention issues that are just mandatory, and can't be avoided.

People who are in a calorie deficit for long periods of time, inevitably, develop nutrition deficiencies that disrupt water balance or cause the body to generate hormones like cortisol and grehlin. The closer you are to TDEE, the easier it is to ensure that you achieve the balanced diet that your body needs. If you don't fulfill those needs, then your body will work against your efforts to lose weight.

You can call them theories, but all of this is based in science. If anything, MFP's "3500 calories = 1lb" and "deficits based on BMR" are more the forum theory than this. Sure, 3500 calories would and should equal a 1lb of weight loss, but that is total weight loss and NOT fat loss. Depending on whether your diet is balanced or not, that 1lb could be 3/4 fat + 1/4 water or 1/4 fat +1/4 water + 1/2 muscle or it could just be 1lb of water.

Besides... I ate a 300 calorie deficit below my TDEE for the last 3 weeks and lost 13 lbs. Sure, a lot of it was water, but what wasn't was a little muscle and a lot of fat.

Actually, I did source... "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler

Pick up a book!
  • jonelaw
    jonelaw Posts: 28
    Options
    Wow.........
    I would simply suggest eating more whole food vs processed food, more protein and more water. I'm not a nutritionist or a weightlifter but it certainly doesn't look like you are eating anywhere near enough.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

So zig-zag my calories?

They're hardly theories!

Actually, I did source... "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler

Pick up a book!

"Pick up a book" That's rich! You know nothing about me. If you're one source is NROLFW, perhaps you should pick up a few more books.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    "Pick up a book" That's rich! You know nothing about me. If you're one source is NROLFW, perhaps you should pick up a few more books.

I don't need to know anything about you. Where are your sources?
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'd need to brush up on NROL4W but if it had either of those concepts, I'd be surprised. I think people misunderstand what is a 'deep deficit'. 1000-1200 isn't, not for the vast majority of us.

"Sure, 3500 calories would and should equal a 1lb of weight loss, but that is total weight loss and NOT fat loss."

No, the 3500 refers to fat loss alone. Not water or LBM. There is no calories in water and fewer than 3500 in LBM.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Schuler didn't write NROL4W, he wrote the original. It had nothing about 'metabolism reset' and 'eat above your BMR'. I read the 4W one, too, the week it came out. So I'd need to brush up but if it had either of those concepts, I'd be surprised. I think people misunderstand what is a 'deep deficit'. 1000-1200 isn't, not for the vast majority of us.

"Sure, 3500 calories would and should equal a 1lb of weight loss, but that is total weight loss and NOT fat loss."

No, the 3500 refers to fat loss alone. Not water or LBM. There is no calories in water and fewer than 3500 in LBM.

I wasn't referencing calories equating to water. I was saying that a lost lb is NOT just fat and therefore, what MFP deems as 1lb a week weight loss isn't accurate.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I corrected my post. Schuler and Forsythe co-wrote NROL4W.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I corrected my post. Schuler and Forsythe co-wrote NROL4W.

Yes... I left out the co-authors for simplicity's sake. Anyone looking for the book could easily find it under Schuler.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Wow, that would suck.
  • rocksoutforcheese
    Options
    I think the quality of the calories you consume is most important. As others have stated, you definitely need more protein and personally I would be eating a lot more vegetables too. I'd focus on cleaning up and adding in more real foods.