Starbucks Iced Coffee

Options
So, since it's summer, sometimes I treat myself to some Starbucks iced coffee. I usually take it black (no milk/cream and only 1 packet of Splenda), so I was thinking to myself that the drink should have little-to-no caloric value. However, the following was revealed to me. According to Starbucks, a Grande iced coffee has 90 calories which makes no sense to me, even more so because there is no difference between sweetened and unsweetened coffee. Does that make any sense? Or is it just a glitch in the website (http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/brewed-coffee/iced-coffee#size=106510&sweetened=1).
Thoughts?

Replies

• emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too....i'm a huge Starbucks fan, but once i've seen the caloric values i was kind of confused cause some huge chocolate shake with cream and stuff was only about 200 cals...i'd love to get an answer to that too :P:)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that doesn't make any sense! I've been on an iced coffee kick lately and usually get it black & add my own bit of sugar & cream, but can't figure why black iced coffee would still show as 90 calories?? Next time I'm in there I will ask them if they add anything to their iced coffee - is it chilled brewed coffee or is it a mix that comes prepared? In fact, I will ask a friend who works there right now - I'll let you know what I find out.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm curious of the same thing.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    A typo while they made the table. Unsweetened 90 cal with 21 gr of sugar, Sweetened 90 cal with 20 gr of sugar. Funny though :p
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    I am sure that the iced coffee thats on the website includes sweetener (some sort, not splenda)..it says it has 20 grams of fat so obv right! plus it says its sweetened on the tab thingy

seriously tho dont worry, it is impossible for a drink to be 90 calories if its pure coffee, ice, water, and even a splenda! probably just a mistake !
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I always get the skinny iced mocha because YUM! It's about 140 cals for a large, so I don't do it too often but it's TOTALLY worth it when I do! :o)
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    It's from the skim milk they add
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Haha, glitch. Unsweetened says 21 g of sugar. Sweetened says 20 g of sugar.
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I always get the skinny iced mocha because YUM! It's about 140 cals for a large, so I don't do it too often but it's TOTALLY worth it when I do! :o)

Oh that sounds fab! Is it sugarfree too???
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Their website is broken. I have actually submitted requests to them for it to be fixed fairly recently and received a response that they are working on it. But the iced coffee, black with sugar free syrup or splenda should have less than 10 cal. They base their initial calories on you adding cream/sweetener. Enjoy one all you want! I personally get McDonalds Iced Coffee-black with sugar free vanilla (half the price for dbl the size and same calories)
  • candi822
    candi822 Posts: 1
    Options
    I noticed that too. I think it's a glitch in their system. Also, I think that if you order a traditional (Classic) iced coffee, they put a syrup in it that sweetens it a little. That's why if you order non-sweetened, they call it out as a "no classic". Not sure, just a guess. I've been treating myself to an iced grande skinny vanilla latte. Only 80 calories and 12 carbs. :)
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Some of the drink nutrition info gets goofy when you try and change the default in their database. LIke someone above mentioned the sugars are listed as 21/unsweetened, 20/sweetened so I'm on the database mistake side of the fence.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If I'm paying $5 for my favorite Starbucks drink, I'm not sweating the calories/fat/whatever. :drinker:

My triple venti cafe mocha with whole milk and whipped cream is likely around 500 calories.......LOL
    It's my once a month (IF that often) treat.
  • GFab
    GFab Posts: 75
    Options
    i took one of their nutrition guides home with me...i know dork! but it says on the top iced coffee made with syrup...so i am only guessing that black and unsweetened will have 0 cals....does that sound right?
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It has to be a glitch, An Iced café americano black has 20 calories (here in Canada more if you put add ins)
    Its basically cold coffee on ice. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing or not.
    I love starbucks :)
  • stnave
    stnave Posts: 6
    Options
    I personally get McDonalds Iced Coffee-black with sugar free vanilla (half the price for dbl the size and same calories)

Sounds good to me haha
  • moonspells
    Options

Oh that sounds fab! Is it sugarfree too???

Yup, sugarfree chocolate syrup and skim milk...practically guilt-free!
    This thread is making me want one NOW!! Except it's not really hot here...maybe tomorrow, since it's Friday! :oD
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I add a little bit of half and half myself and just guess it's at about 50-60 calories. A large cup of coffee isn't more than 10 calories unless you add sugar or milk. If you get it unsweetened and only add Splenda I wouldn't even bother logging it. From what I understand it's just brewed coffee that they chill in the refrigerator.
  • moonspells
    Options
    I personally get McDonalds Iced Coffee-black with sugar free vanilla (half the price for dbl the size and same calories)

Sounds good to me haha

It's good too...way cheaper and 90 clas for a medium with skim milk!
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I love starbucks! just coffee in general!