How to eat on vacation?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I think you should stay strictly within your caloric limitations, watching your intake of sugars and particularly alcohol.
    I also think you should carry your work cell phone, and make sure you have some way of reading email; BlackBerry or smart phone if you must, but preferably a desktop computer. That way you can continue to work through your vacation.
    Also, bring your kids and keep them with you. And your own car, so you can take advantage of the time to do much needed repairs.

I hope you detected the ever-so-slight hint of sarcasm. Eat gloriously, and enjoy your vacation. You will continue on your path upon your return, reinvigorated.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think you should stay strictly within your caloric limitations, watching your intake of sugars and particularly alcohol.
    I also think you should carry your work cell phone, and make sure you have some way of reading email; BlackBerry or smart phone if you must, but preferably a desktop computer. That way you can continue to work through your vacation.
    Also, bring your kids and keep them with you. And your own car, so you can take advantage of the time to do much needed repairs.

I hope you detected the ever-so-slight hint of sarcasm. Eat gloriously, and enjoy your vacation. You will continue on your path upon your return, reinvigorated.

^ LOL
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I went on a week long vacation a month back and I ate and drank everything because it was all so yummy! We walked a lot and swam a lot and got some good exercise while still having fun. I put on some 5 pounds, but once I got back I lost it pretty quickly. I would've never forgiven myself if I hadn't eaten all the amazing food I ate. Relax and enjoy your vacation. You've paid good money for it!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Walk lots. Concentrate on really enjoying every morsel of your food. Eat slowly. Stop when you are satisfied. You'll do fine.
  • LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and for sharing some of your experiences. I think I am pretty set on "living it up"; just wanted to know what to expect when I get back.

However, I do love the whole so-and-so has logged in so many days in a row messages on here. I would hate to break a streak. But what do you do when you truly have no idea how many calories a particular food has? Just guess (really high) and do a Quick Add of calories in your daily log? (We will be going to a lot of very unique places that will not be in the database.)
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    You don't have to track food in order to have "logged in". I skipped my birthday and I'm still on track. I think ou just have to log something, such as "30 minute walk on the beach", or "3 martinis". Have fun!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I ate light for breakfast and lunch. I was also at the beach so while I was in the ocean I made sure to tread water for most of the time which in fact burns a TON of calories. For dinner I didn't worry AT ALL about calories. I was there to enjoy myself, not obsess about food. I'm not much of a drinker so I only had 1 drink the entire vacation and ended up only drinking half of that. I try never to drink my calories.

I know I'll get back on the wagon when I return so I'm not worried. I also have plans to up my exercise when I return. So if I gain weight I'm not worried that it won't come back off.

Enjoy yourself and don't stress about it.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have been on vacation for 6 days now with 3 left to go visiting my sister. We've cooked some meals but I refused to not indulge in some things. We've had five guy burgers - accidentally got a double since I didn't know that's what a regular comes with. I ate it anyway. It was delicious! Had waffle house yesterday morning- never have tried it before and also some salvadorian food that was so authentic and yummy. I don't regret it. Also have had tons of ice cream this week- I have kids I can't help it! Anyway I felt a little crummy today but only after I had a blah fast food meal. So I guess my advice is enjoy but pick and choose! Oh and fit in some exercise even if it's just walking. Have fun!
  • habsco99
    habsco99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an amazing 17 day road trip through California. I was scared that eating out three meals a day, for almost 3-weeks would kill any progress I had made.

But I surprised myself and made good choices where I could (i.e. I love you fish tacos!). I did a ton of hiking and swimming. For the epic car rides, we went to Trader Joes and bought some "better choices". (Trader Joes is a novelty, we don't have it in Canada!)

All that to say, without even meaning to, I was eating at maintenance and didn't gain or lose a single pound.

If anything, it made me realize that gaining weight isn't an overnight occurance, it takes built up bad habits and time.

The vacation actually helped me chill out about my eating and calorie counting.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    But what do you do when you truly have no idea how many calories a particular food has? Just guess (really high) and do a Quick Add of calories in your daily log? (We will be going to a lot of very unique places that will not be in the database.)

I generally look up something similiar and use that or do a quick add with few extra calories thrown on. My husband and I eat at local sports bar quite often, so if I have one their speciality Quesadillas, then I will look for something similiar in the MFP database and use that. Won't be exact, but I'm hoping it's a close estimate.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Keep active while you're out and try to make good choices when you're eating. Don't fill up on appetizers or go overboard. Share meals if you can. If you can't, take half of it back with you to the hotel for breakfast tomorrow. If you can't do that, then just leave half of it on the plate. You don't have to eat everything on your plate! Just do what you can and if you've gained a couple when you get back, don't stress out. Remember to enjoy yourself, if you go on a great vacation that set you back a few weeks, you've still had a good time and as long as setbacks aren't something that happens all the time, then you're not doing too much hard ultimately.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I think on holiday you should just eat what you want, but still moderate the amount.

So you can have some chocolate ice cream (for example), just don't eat the whole tub.