how can i be vegetarian and still get my protein?

2»

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    My diary is public, I never have a problem getting enough protein....and thats without the processed substitutes so I imagine with those (I just don't fancy them) a vegetarian would have no problems at all. :) I eat a lot of greek yogurts, nuts, soy, and beans. :)
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    thank you all so much for your help! I will buy a load of food when i get paid. I'm just living off whatever my partners mum cooks :(

It was probably the iron i lacked back then but i'm not anemic so i don't know what it was!

I just want to enjoy eating again!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    I am a vegetarian and am constantly OVER on my protein.
    Greek Yogurt, Beans, Legumes, Grains, cheese (in moderation), nuts, oils, etc etc....
    You can definitely do it :)
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Look up the gluten free goddess, she does gluten free but she is also a vegan so her recepies don't have meat, are well balanced, and super yummy. I eat meat occasionally but only a few times a week if that. My favorite protien sources are beans, nuts, quinoa, yogurt, milk, etc. There are so many options out there. Make sure you are eating lots of different things so that you get enough nutrients, including iron, that might account for some of the pasty sickly feeling. Do your research, read tons of blogs and do a good search for vegitarian/vegan meals and blogs. There is so much out there.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Americans consume way more protein than they really need anyways. The average person only needs 1-2 grams per pound of body weight, or about 15% of daily calories. Protein is also found other places besides in animal products!

Funny, this was posted today! http://www.nomeatathlete.com/where-vegetarians-get-protein/

Great blog post from nomeatathlete.com. thanks!
  • LeslieSJR
    LeslieSJR Posts: 64
    I eat vegetarian/vegan 99% of the time and never have an issue getting my protein. I am usually over the base number. I eat frui/veg, beans, and healthy grains like quinoa and sprouted grain breads. I eat eggs rarely and yogurt maybe every few weeks. I also add in a little veg protein powder to smoothies a few times a week, but I find that isn't necessary for me to meet my protein intake needs- it's just a boost on big workout days :)
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    I agree with everyone here. The trick is to eat in a nutritionally sound way. Unless you are a junk-food vegetarian,it's usually pretty easy to get your protein. Often I will only have one serving of dairy a day (usually milk in a shake, and I don't use protein powders) and it helps put me right where I need to be. I use soy and fake meats sparingly, but they are ok for a quick protein fix occasionally for me.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Beans! Tofu!!! I'm vegetarian as well and that's how I get my protein.
    I have chickpeas most nights and tofu 1-2 times a week.
    I just cook chickpeas in lemon juice and spices and it's sooooooo good. There are tons of other recipes too, I cook them with veggies a lot :).
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 179 Member
    Great blog post from nomeatathlete.com. thanks!

You're welcome! (I love that site :smile: )
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Fun Fact: Fruit has protein. Veggies have protein. So really- you may be getting more than you think on a veg diet. Apricots are 5% protein (the highest in protein content that I have read so far.) And then the everything else everyone else mentioned
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Even without the two servings of meat I still get nearly 200g of protein from non-meat sources. You just need to look around for different foods.

Greek yogurt 20g x 1 (20)
    Cottage cheese 14g x 2 (28)
    Mung beans 30g x 1 (30)
    Eggs 7g x 3 (21)
    Koshihikari sprouted brown rice 5g x 1 (5)
    Ozery morning round bun 5g x 1 (5)
    Hazelnuts 4g x 2 (8)
    Old-fashioned oats 7.5g x 2 (15)
    Protein powder 14g x 4 (56)

Total protein 188g

Hell, I just discovered steamed wheat gluten (seitan), or yaki-fu, which gives 12g per serving.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Along with everything else people are mentionng, there's protein in rice. Everyone forgets that one.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 162 Member
    bump, this is a handy reminder for me. I love tofu, chickpeas, quinoa, greek yoghurt etc so I'm pretty happy already, but always good to find out more!