question about walking...

AmyFett
AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
I take walks with my two daughters. They have a huge wagon they sit in and I pull them, together they're 70 lbs. I know i'm not CARRYING them, but pulling the extra weight especially uphill, what should I log that as? All I see if carrying 15 lb load, or just uphill. it's obviously more of a work out dragging a 70+ lb wagon than it would be just walking alone, you know?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I take walks with my two daughters. They have a huge wagon they sit in and I pull them, together they're 70 lbs. I know i'm not CARRYING them, but pulling the extra weight especially uphill, what should I log that as? All I see if carrying 15 lb load, or just uphill. it's obviously more of a work out dragging a 70+ lb wagon than it would be just walking alone, you know?

Do you have access to a heart rate monitor? That would give you the most accurate feedback in terms of calories burned.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    I agree. A heart rate monitor will definitely give you the most accurate data.
  • AmyFett
    No I don't have one
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    my advice would be to just log it as regular walking, the fact that you are pulling something is just a bonus and will show up in your muscles or on the scale.
  • AmyFett
    I don't have a ton of money to by a monitor, anyone know where you can find a cheap one? like maybe no more than 10 bucks?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I don't have a ton of money to by a monitor, anyone know where you can find a cheap one? like maybe no more than 10 bucks?

I was looking online yesterday. The cheap ones were at Walmart (of course :grumble: ) and were around $30-$40.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    There's a pedometer app for Iphones that will monitor it for you
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    my advice would be to just log it as regular walking, the fact that you are pulling something is just a bonus and will show up in your muscles or on the scale.

I don't subscribe to this bonus thing to be honest. I want to know as closely as possible what I am consuming and burning. I wouldnt see it as a bonus at all - taking it to extremes you could say don't log the walk at all and then it will be a bigger bonus!

Heart rate monitor is the way to go - christmas present, birthday, mothers day, valentines day, or a gift for yourself?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Short of a heart rate monitor, the best way is probably to go up one notch in terms of the walking. So if you are walking casually while dragging along the wagon, log it as walking briskly.
  • Wonderob

Good idea but if she is looking for a HRM for $10 then a $600 iphone is probably out of the question!
  • There's a pedometer app for Iphones that will monitor it for you

Good idea but if she is looking for a HRM for $10 then a $600 iphone is probably out of the question!

Yea, but a lot of people either have an iPhone or an iTouch or something. It's a valid point.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member

Not to mention the fact that a pedometer (app or not) is not going to do anything to compensate for the additional calorie burn dragging a wagon would add.
  • Maybe the calories burned would be similar to pushing a stroller??
  • Wonderob

Yea, but a lot of people either have an iPhone or an iTouch or something. It's a valid point.

Can't see it working to be honest. Even if she had one I'm not sure how it would help with the original question
  • Wonderob

I bought one recently and took it back after a few days and got my money back

Now Im not suggesting that you do anything so immoral as to use it once then neatly pack it up and return.........
  • Solosesso
    Solosesso Posts: 103 Member

Now Im not suggesting that you do anything so immoral as to use it once then neatly pack it up and return.........

Haha! Genius! XD
  • AmyFett
    Yeah I don't have an iphone..
  • AmyFett

Haha! Genius! XD

I used to do that with dresses if I had to dress up for something lol! I don't have the 40 bucks to drop on it anyway, even if i were to get my money back. I'm broke as crap right now after paying to get my 3 cats fixed and buying 2 AC's =/