Post-Children Stomach Muscles...

Options
MinMin97
MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
Hello ladies (or gentlemen, even),

Question about the...what's it called...linea alba...anyway,

When pregnant, those muscles end up separating to make room for growing baby. Afterwards, of course, they come back together and normalize. However, do they return completely, and does exercise make them close back together?

My youngest is 4yo and I've not specifically exercised my tummy muscles, so I am wondering if my measuring tape will get back to the 27-28 in waist I have had in the past.

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    well when I got pg with my first daughter in 2004 I was 184pounds (12Jeans) and that was my normal size since I had gotten out of college. Now two kids later I am 166.6 (size 8 jeans same brand) and much small waist size than I was before even my first baby so yes

( my heavyest weight was in 2007 after my second daughter was born I was 213 (size 16 jeans tight) and stayed right around that size until I started working out last May 2011
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Congratulations, stephyy4632:)
  • pinklily905
    pinklily905 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    In most women, the stomach muscles would go back to normal, I believe. Some women can have diastasis recti, in which the muscles stay separated, and It can sometimes be corrected or minimized by the right exercises, and sometimes it takes surgery to fix.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    <--- i had 4 children in less than 3 years (including twins) and even though i do tons of planks, crunches, pilates, you know it and i guarentee my tummy will never ever be the same. motherhood is a blessing though :)
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    In most women, the stomach muscles would go back to normal, I believe. Some women can have diastasis recti, in which the muscles stay separated, and It can sometimes be corrected or minimized by the right exercises, and sometimes it takes surgery to fix.

i think i may have this from my twinners
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant I was about 175, and a size 12. 2 years after my baby I lost 40 lbs down 135 and fit into a size 2...and even a 0 at one place!! I've gained back about 20 lbs due to medical reasons this past year...So I'm back up to a 8/10 155. Trying to drop back down again.

But I was in the best shape of my life AFTER having my daughter. So it's possible to get back to it..or smaller! :)
  • leanneb205
    leanneb205 Posts: 76
    Options
    oh mine are completely shot, i think mines going to be one of the operation cases. Too fat to tell at the minute :laugh: but when i sit up i notice a huge bulge inbetween the muscles that isnt supposed to be there. Only time will tell for me but pretty sure mine are BAD! Not too fussed though, my body shows my life story im a proud mummy with a saggy stretched tummy :laugh: !
  • ivorytears
    ivorytears Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the muscles do not go back together properly and this can cause problems such as urinating when you sneeze or cough (see a midwife to get checked out). Excersise will help especially the plank (crunches can make it worse) or you may need surgery. I have a little bit of this and found the plank has been helping.

Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I assume they do and that's a discussion to have with your dr. Did you gain a tremendous amount of weight with pregnancy ?

I'm also in the best shape of my life. I'm 47 and my kids are in their 20's. I was skinny-fat before; now I'm toned and muscular and more lean.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Sometimes the muscles do not go back together properly and this can cause problems such as urinating when you sneeze or cough (see a midwife to get checked out). Excersise will help especially the plank (crunches can make it worse) or you may need surgery. I have a little bit of this and found the plank has been helping.

Good luck!
    Not issues with the bladder....that's pelvic floor muscles...I'm talking about the muscles that meet in the middle in the stomach area...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    There's no way mine will ever be the same. A lot of exercise has helped, but there will always be a slight gap between the muscles.
  • asti303
    asti303 Posts: 1
    Options
    Keep up with the pilates, not just a class a week, use the prinicples as part of your daily activities....getting out of bed, chair etc it's the best exercise for those split abdominal muscles.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Interesting. Not sure if I have that. I'll have to read up!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Not sure if I have that. I'll have to read up!

All the women in my family have a gap after children. I assumed that was the norm.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I had a set of twins 2.5 years ago.. i was 38 weeks and 4 ft around (at 5 ft tall) , I have A LOT of muscle separation, a hernia and excess skin... all of which are so bad they cannot be fixed with diet or exercise. I will need operations.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Okay, so I found this...
    http://peainthepodfitness.com/tupler-technique/

Looks interesting, but it seems like I could look further before paying for something like this....
  • ivorytears
    ivorytears Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is related in some strange way as I got checked out. Not all woman have that problem with the bladder. :smile:
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • tierraaf
    tierraaf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about diastasis recti (I am not an expert) because I thought I had it and what they say is that the muscles can mend but with very specific exercises. If you have it (you can actually self diagnose through a simple technique), traditional ab exercises can and most often will make it worse. BUT, by doing these specific exercises, you can still correct the issue. As always, consult a physician (bc I can pull an article from any nut job off the Internet). Good luck!