Exercise & Reducing Cholesterol?

Options
Hi, I'm curious if anyone here has successfully reduced their cholesterol (total or LDL "bad" cholesterol) mainly through adding exercise, with minimal diet changes?

Or have you increased your HDL ("good") cholesterol by adding exercise to your life?

In February, at a weight of approx. 197 lb., my cholesterol was 202 total. I forget the exact LDL & HDL numbers, but they were also borderline for the good kind being on the low side, and the bad kind being on the high side. So, my Dr. recommended weight loss, but specifically exercise. So in March, I joined the gym, and did all cardio for the first month. In April I added weight training (New Rules of Lifting for Women), and last weighed in at 185.5 lb. I'm in the gym at least 5 hours/week at moderate to high intensity, so I'm confident my cholesterol numbers will be better by next February.

As for my diet, it's not perfect, but it's not dreadful either. I try to get lots of fruits & vegetables (all different kinds), low-fat dairy, and lean protein, in addition to a mix of "white" and whole-grain carbs. The only major diet change I've made is eliminating butter from my cooking, and switching it out for olive oil.

I just wonder if there's anyone else who's had success with reducing cholesterol mainly by exercising? I know 202 isn't a major crisis (yet), but it was enough to scare me into action before it got worse. I have a follow-up appointment on Monday for low iron, and I'm thinking of asking whether I might get another cholesterol check too, or just wait until next February to find out if all my hard work is paying off. I'd love to hear any experience on this, but especially success stories.

*Edited to ask - in my shoes, would you ask for the cholesterol re-check on Monday? Or wait until next February?

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If it's not too expensive I would get one sooner.

I noticed in the 'refrigerator oatmeal' thread a lot of people mentioned that by eating plenty of oats many had reduced their cholesterol. I'd be interested to hear if that's true as I am expecting some hereditary problems in a few years in that area!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it. You arent in the "extreme danger zone". I had similar cholesterol and similar weight starting as you. I got mine re-checked one year later at my yearly physical and my bad had gone way down and my good went way up. If you increase activity and decrease trans fats and cholesterols that are going into your body (i.e. eating healthy!) you should have no problem at all next time you get it checked. Its really not an important number unless you are older and it has been that way for a very long time.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies.

If all this exercise doesn't bring it down, I'll definitely try eating more oatmeal. I love it, but when I'm trying for 30% protein (usu. 100-200 g./day), it's hard to have such a carb-intense breakfast. Unless there's a way to mix protein powder into it. Hmmm...

I'm leaning more towards asking about an early re-check on Monday too. From Googling, it looks like I can expect a 5-10% decrease in the total from 30 min/day at moderate intensity, and I'm doing so much more than that, I hope my hard work puts me at the upper end. 10% reduction would put me around 180 total, and I'd be thrilled with that.