Stopping when your full. PLEASE HELP

Options
I know i'd be so much better at this if i stopped when I'm full. I'm such an overeater. once i start eating i can keep going and going and wont even know that I've eaten too much!

anyone got any tips? or is it just going to be conscious effort on my part?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There are some good books on this. I like Mindful Eating. Basically, pay attention. Slow down. Eat at the table. No tv, no computer. Think about your food as you eat it. How it tastes, looks, feels in your mouth, where it came from, what's in it... whatever you can think of. You body's hunger/fullness signal is like a tiny voice on a faraway radio station. When you get used to listening for it, it gets much easier. We get used to tuning it out.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain. I have had to make a conscience effort to eat slowly. I read while I eat dinner so I try to make sure that I am taking a bite every couple of pages, instead of just shoveling it in.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is going to have to a conscious effort on your part.

But you can do some things to help yourself, like only taking 1 serving of the food and making sure you log it before you eat it. If you sit down and eat out of a box of crackers you will eat far more then if you were to take out your snack and put it on a plate, then put the box away before eating.

I've also heard that if you put your knife/fork down between each bite of food it will make you decide if you really want another bite or not. It slows down your meal, and makes you think about what you are doing.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, especially when I'm eating something REALLY good. The one thing that I've been doing, is eating slower. I will put my fork on the plate while I chew and put my hands on my lap. It's a method my mom taught me and I'm getting better at eating slower instead of shoveling the food in my mouth. Another thing I started doing, is using smaller plates so I don't have so much on my plate. Once the plate is empty, then I'm done eating. Hope this helps.
  • mayamarie79
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure someone else has some tips that can help us both. Sometimes I just physically push away the food when I realize that I'm a little full, and put it in a cabinet or in the fridge (depending on what it is). It has to be out of my sight. I can't just rely on will power.

And remember, if you eat less, your stomach becomes accustomed to feeling comfortable with less food.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Slow down, chew each bite completely, put your fork down between each bite, and take a sip of water before you take another bite.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Definitely a conscious effort, but there are a few other things you can do. First, slow down. I can make a 6 ounce container of greek yogurt last for 20 minutes. I truly savor every bite, and it gives my stomach and brain a chance to communicate with each other. Second, when you know you are full, put the plate away, walk away from the food, and drink water. Those are the two things that have helped me the most.
  • lblackham1993
    Options
    okay thanks everyone! :) tomorrow i will really really focus on eating slower and thinking about what I'm doing. :D thankkkkyou! :D
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Back a few years ago when I first started to get healthy the going dogma was to eat smaller meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism active and level.

I tried it, and it works for me.

The "science" has since been debunked, but I find when I'm eating on a schedule I'm never really hungry, and likewise, I'm never miserably full.

I'm sure I can eat a lot more than you, but I eat about 400 calories every 2-3 hours that I am awake.
  • MonicaLee92
    MonicaLee92 Posts: 222
    Options
    I'm the same way. I could eat for forever. But I just try to set out a amount I feel like is enough to keep me full till my next meal and just eat what I plan with no extras. It's really hard for me sometimes though. Just keep trying though! You can do this!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Only make what you're going to eat. Can't eat 16 ounces of pasta if you only cooked two ounces.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible with this too. I also have the tendency to eat way too fast, so I eat more than I intended. Sucks, right?

Use a smaller plate and don't get seconds until 20 minutes after you started eating.
    Prepare less food.
    Have nothing "easy" lying around that you can grab and eat.

Even with these tricks, you have to make a conscious effort to stop over eating. I've been working hard at it myself. It's so easy to fall back into old bad habits too.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you but what really helps me is taking my time over my food and I drink plenty of water with my Food also. I think its take about 10 mins for you body to tell you that you are full so its important to not rush your food. I mean ever had that thing where you chow down then you go sit on sofa and 10 mins later you feel bloated as hell? I know I have lol

Another thing you may want to try if you dont like the small portions you have to eat on the 4-6 small meals a day method is try Intermittent Fasting (I have been doing it for two week and I love it). Basically, with this I fast for 16 hours and then use the remaining 8 hours as my eating window. So for me its like this I eat between 12.30 and 20.30pm and rest of the time I fast. I like it because this means I can actually eat a meal that is a decent size that leaves me fulfilled.

I followed this program if you want to take a look www.leangains.com

This guy on youtube has lots of info on it in his vids too as hes been doing it for a bit now.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lowcarbcory?feature=watch
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In Michael Pollan's book "Food Rules" he says to stop eating when you no longer feel hungry because most of us can't really determine what we are supposed to feel like when we are satisfied, but your body will know that you are no longer feeling hungry.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Eat VERY, VERY SLOW! And have a nice big glass or water before you eat! Put your fork down in between each bite, don't take big bites.. and chew for 30 ish sec's. You have to give your tummy time to tell your brain, to tell you to stop. Eating slow helps you to realize, 'OH, Full!' =p If you eat fast, you don't stop. Slow it down =) I had to try this.. it worked.
    Good luck!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I remembered another!
    Keep the food on the stove, don't put it on the table! Eat off of a smaller plate. =)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Have you ever heard of the comedian Louis C.K.? (nsfw, btw) he says, "The meal isn't over when I'm full, the meal is over when I hate myself." I sadly eat that way too. I'm full, but still thinking, 'what's next?'
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Weigh it. Put it on your plate. Don't go back for seconds.

Plan your meals if you need to take to work. Again, weigh it, pack it, when it's gone, you're done eating until you get home. (Although I do try to keep a protein bar in my desk in case I get stuck later than planned)

Water.

I don't mean this to sound condescending. It's exactly what I had to do. I was the type that just never seemed to feel full...at least not for very long. The other thing that really seems to have helped me is to stay away from my trigger foods, cut out all artificial sweeteners and most added sweeteners. I do use a bit of honey now and then in things like my Greek yogurt.
  • BrionaLoree
    Options
    this helps so much! i have this same problem!
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I've been using the kiddie plates my kids eat off of, and often their smaller silverware too - takes longer to eat the food, and it's already a smaller portion than before, and the plate still looks full - which is part of the mental thing I have with eating less- full plate, but not feeling deprived of anything..