Dizzy when standing up?

Options
2»

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have these symptoms too. I've had low blood pressure for a long time, but the dizziness got worse after starting with MFP, and I fainted once. I was eating 1200 cals to start with, and increasing that has improved things a bit, although I still get dizzy. My doctor can't find anything wrong (ECG, blood tests). I just try to be aware of it when I stand up so that I'm prepared for the dizziness and don't faint.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    So, then you are netting 1100 on bike days and 1200 on run days. You just plain are not eating enough when you exercise. I don't know if that is the source of you issue or not but it's concerniing for sure. 1200 calories is thought of as an absolute cellar not a recommedation and you are sometimes eating below that. Doing this for an extended period of time will likely cause you metabolic issues. Also, are you certian on your burns? Utilizing a HRM for max accuracy? And you are doing this 6 out of 7 days per week! Does this not set off any alarms for you?
    [/quote]

I run 2 days a week and ride 3 days, 2 rest days. I'm not certain on my calories burned, no HRM yet (I'm getting a Polar RCX3 on Wednesday for my birthday :) I may be a little under 3 days a week, but I don't think 1200 is the be all end all magic number (and I'm only 5'2"). I just started this Monday...
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You may have low potassium levels, which is common in people who are dieting. And, yes, your low calorie diet may be contributing to the problem.

Also, drinking a lot of water would just make that problem worse, so be careful taking some of the "drink more water" advice here.

Try loading up on potassium, at least getting 3500/4000 mg a day, and see if that helps. (Potatoes, Low Sodium V8). Also be wary of coffee and caffeine, which can flush the fluids out of your body and mess with potassium and sodium levels.
  • vickip529
    vickip529 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband has this same problem so I am very curious what you find out. He is headed to the doctor too.