Runners - camel back or fuel belt?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I haven't used either for a marathon, but for trail runs up to 22k I use a Nathan hydration pack. It doesn't jostle and is easy to refill. It takes a little getting used to, but I don't notice it anymore.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I used my phone for the runkeeper app as well... don't have the extra money to invest in a Garmin right now. It worked just fine for my training and the day of the marathon, although I can say it is a little off on the mileage. For my marathon my phone died between mile 23 and 24, but the app read 23 miles about 4 minutes before I hit the 23 mile marker. Anyways, as for fueling, I use a fuel belt. There is no way I could use a camelback, as it would drive me nuts!

The same thing will happen with a Garmin. The reason, usually, is that you really ARE running further than the course markers. Courses are measured at the precise, optimal shortest route, angling and cutting every corner perfectly. None of us can do that, especially in crowded races. So just give yourself credit for the extra distance, you've earned it!

There is also an accepted degree of error with the GPS. Our route director took his Garmin with him while they had the course officially measured to be a Boston qualifier. he did do the exact same route as the person measuring and still was off. I think he said around 5 k it started to differ and just got bigger.

I've done up to a half. I prefer the fuel belt for training.