how soon after giving birth....

Options
can i start exercising again?! i will be breast feeding and i know that burns like 500 calories. Should i start with my calories and then slowly get back into exercising? When should i start weight lifting during aerobics? or after i've lost a few pounds???

Replies

• rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definetly wait 6 weeks (recommended) but I would talk to your doctor before you start anything to be safe.:happy:
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    walking should be alright in the meantime.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Definetly wait 6 weeks (recommended) but I would talk to your doctor before you start anything to be safe.:happy:

I second this. It's unique to each delivery. It depends on what happened / didn't happen during your term and delivery. ASK THE DOCTOR AND NOBODY ELSE.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    I had twins in June. I walked right away, very light and took my time. around 4-5 weeks I felt up to doing some light pilates, which my Dr. said was fine. by 6 weeks I was back into my normal workout program...

Good Luck to you:wink:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Talk to your Dr & listen to your body.

My best friend & sister in law both had c-sections but drastically different recoveries. BF was in hospital for 6 days & had difficulty w/routine activities for more than 2 mths afterwards. SIL was in hospital for 3 days (including active labor) & was moving fairly well the day she returned home--I didn't realize she had even had a c-section until she said something! But SIL is also very active & was bailing hay up until a week before giving birth when my brother forced her to stop :p)
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i was told not to do anything besides walking until at least 4 weeks and then listen to my body and go from there. i joined curves after my daughter was born, and i waited the whole 6 weeks before signing up
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I know I'm a guy and some women may have issues with me chiming in on this, but seriously, everyone else's experiences are not going to help in her specific instance. Each of you had a different birthing experience, and each of you healed differently.

The best advice is to go and ask your ob/gyn and get specific medical advice that applies to you and you only.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    I know I'm a guy and some women may have issues with me chiming in on this, but seriously, everyone else's experiences are not going to help in her specific instance. Each of you had a different birthing experience, and each of you healed differently.

The best advice is to go and ask your ob/gyn and get specific medical advice that applies to you and you only.

very true! i have 2 kids and both were so different, with my son i had a hard time walking for a couple of weeks, and didn't exercise until almost 3 months after because it hurt. it all depends on your body and experience. like i said before its best to listen to your body. your dr might tell you its ok at 6 weeks, but your body might not agree with that. most drs recommend 6 weeks or when you're feeling up to it. unless you have a csec in that case i think theres a set time because of the surgery
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    The doctors always say 6 weeks AND cleared by your obgyn.:).....For regular vaginal birth that is...Csection is usually longer

Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I've always heard 6 weeks, however, after asking my OBGYN, she said that my ancestors would have had the baby, and then the next day would be working in the fields and lugging water.

Like everyone else has said, listen to your body, and your doctor. I felt great within hours of giving birth, and could get up and around right away, and started going for walks once we got home from the hospital.

On the other hand, friends of mine have felt sore, and out of sorts for a few weeks. Listen to your body, and your doctor, as your condition could depend on whether you had an uncomplicated vaginal birth, or if there were other issues surrounding the delivery.

Watch your milk - when I had my second baby, I started dieting, and I felt it affected my milk production. However, I've read that as long as you keep your fluids and vitamins up, the milk is fine.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options

I dont mind you giving your two cents....I'm definitely going to listen to my body, and ask my doctor as well. I know everyone is different...and stuff like that. I pretty much wanted to know what everyones experience was, and how soon they started..and what they started whether it was walking or weights..roughly how soon after the delivery. Just to kinda see what to expect when it comes my time... Thank you all for all your help and advice. If anyone else has any suggestions or comments please feel free to post...i dont mind at all. the more the merrier.
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    Watch your milk - when I had my second baby, I started dieting, and I felt it affected my milk production. However, I've read that as long as you keep your fluids and vitamins up, the milk is fine.

Thanks! I've gotten different opinions on this about it effecting and not effecting the milk. I know that when you stress it can make your milk sour...so its one of those things i ended up being concerned about.....I want to start watching my diet right away, but i dont know if thats a good idea or not.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options

Thanks! I've gotten different opinions on this about it effecting and not effecting the milk. I know that when you stress it can make your milk sour...so its one of those things i ended up being concerned about.....I want to start watching my diet right away, but i dont know if thats a good idea or not.

I have never heard of stress souring your milk lol....Count your calories, and add 500 extra to what they say to eat on here and your milk should be fine:)
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your OBGYN about when to start exercising
    When you do start drink plenty of fluid (preferably water) if you get dehydrated your milk will dry up and you can usually get your supply back up but it is alot harder then just staying hydrated and keeping it up.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I second this. It's unique to each delivery. It depends on what happened / didn't happen during your term and delivery. ASK THE DOCTOR AND NOBODY ELSE.
    Talk to your dr.