Ounces: Weight or Volume?

Options
I've noticed a lot of items on here are measured in ounces. But is that 1/16 of a lb, or 1/8 of a cup? (for water these are equal, not for foods that are more or less dense, smarty pants)

Cottage cheese for example, if I use a 2 oz container and measure out 4 oz, it doesn't weigh 4 oz, it might only weigh 3. So, how do you guys figure which to use on this site? I'd like to think some are obvious, but others might not be...

Replies

• ashtynplatt
    ashtynplatt Posts: 364
    Options
    Good question! No idea, sorry!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    For liquidy things I generally assume volume. Weight for those items is generally expressed in grams.
    For solids, I generally assume it's weight.
  • PixelFit
    PixelFit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, usually foods are sold by weight, so I use my food scale to measure things like cottage cheese, chips, anything really. For things like milk they usually have a volume serving size like "1/2 cup", "1/4 cup", etc. right?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Your best option is to get a food scale, thats the only way to be accurate
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This is why I like the metric system better (I live in Canada)... weight is measured in grams and volume (or capacity) is measured in mls.

In the standard (US system), liquids are measured in fluid ounces (think 1/2 cup, 2/4 cup, etc.). Solids are measured in ounces (weight)... so use a food scale.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Solids are usually by weight, liquids usually by volume.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I agree. Give up the colonial units. Get a digital food scale and use grams & ml.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of items on here are measured in ounces. But is that 1/16 of a lb, or 1/8 of a cup? (for water these are equal, not for foods that are more or less dense, smarty pants)

Cottage cheese for example, if I use a 2 oz container and measure out 4 oz, it doesn't weigh 4 oz, it might only weigh 3. So, how do you guys figure which to use on this site? I'd like to think some are obvious, but others might not be...

Just a quick question....how can you measure out 4oz from a 2oz container?

*checks her pants for smarties* mmm...smarties! :wink:
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    As for a sensible answer, I'd agree that solids are by weight, and liquids are by volume...
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    In some jurisdictions, the law doesn't mandate weight or volume. The choice is up to the manufacturer. I think it depends on the mechanism they use for control. Interestingly, ice cream and toothpaste can be handled as liquids and the measuring devices measure volume. But some manufacturers use scales because weighing technology is often simpler/cheaper than volume measuring technology.

On the labels, I've seen toothpaste and ice cream use weight, or volume, or both. In non-metric countries, they have the extra clutter of dual units. You can't assume that the metric and the non-metric will be the same. I've seen grams used with volume ounces and ml used with weight ounces.

Then there's nonsense units like 'dry' units for fruit. They have the same name as the wet units but aren't the same volume. Sigh.

If in doubt, rely on the metric units. They're unambiguous.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

You can measure a quarter of a cup of something with a measuring cup and measure out more than a quarter of a cup in total volume. The measuring device does not need to equal the end volume that you are measuring. I imagine they are measuring into a bowl or something.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Its one of my pet peeves about the US measuring system. An ounce is a measure of weight, a FLUID ounce is a measure of liquid, but they abbreviate it down to oz for the liquid anyway most of the time anyway.

I just know there are 8 fluid ounces to a liquid cup measurement and usually you can find something in the database that has a cups as measurement size.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options

*checks her pants for smarties* mmm...smarties! :wink:

Using a 2oz container to measure out 4 oz..... Ummm, 2 scoops?

No smarties for you