Protien

Options
I've already asked this question last week when I first came to this site but no one answered me. :grumble:
But is it ok to go over your protein marcos? Staying under or on target for everything else. (on a regular basis) will it inhibit weight loss at all.

Replies

• tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about protein, too. I almost always go over my "daily limit" that was set by MFP. Haven't had a chance to yet, but intend to do some research into suggested levels, and figure out how MFP decided what my limit should be......
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    When I google it, it says I should have 100gm protein a day but mfp gives me 70gms
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I've already asked this question last week when I first came to this site but no one answered me. :grumble:
    But is it ok to go over your protein marcos? Staying under or on target for everything else. (on a regular basis) will it inhibit weight loss at all.

Yes its ok as long as you are still under your overall daily calorie goal at the end of the day. Now if you go over your daily calorie goals then that will inhibit weight loss. But all in all its calories in vs calories out.
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Different people will tell you different things.

For me personally, I have increased my Protein goals here to match what my doctor told me. I am on a medically supervised diet.

I am to have at least 1 g of protein for every 10 cals over all. So for example, a lunch of 200 calories will need to have at least 20 grams of protein.

I normally have about 100-120 grams of protein in a day.

Hope that helps in some way!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Different people will tell you different things.

For me personally, I have increased my Protein goals here to match what my doctor told me. I am on a medically supervised diet.

I am to have at least 1 g of protein for every 10 cals over all. So for example, a lunch of 200 calories will need to have at least 20 grams of protein.

I normally have about 100-120 grams of protein in a day.

Hope that helps in some way!

Yes macros can be customized to ones way of life or exercise life styles. But my answer above was the basic answer for OPs questions with out knowing all her business.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Going over protein is A-Ok.

Just make sure to eat above your BMR and have protein consist of 25 to 30% of your diet. Protein is used all over the body. Builds muscle and repairs cells and much much more.

Without it, its like legos without plastic.
  • Jaxter888
    Jaxter888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dont get too caught up in Protein/Carb/Fat ratios this site gives... its just a general equation... this site is all about calorie counting.

There is a really really long answer I can give, but the bottom line is NO, its fine.... in fact, I would prob recommend increasing the protein requirement suggested on this site and decreasing the carb allowance.... again, there's a long answer to this, and I already wrote a mammoth reply today on protein!!! (though doesnt relate to this question) so not gonna bore you with the science of it :tongue:

Basically, if you have some fat... and you want to lose it, there are 2 basic ways to make your body do that...

a) how much you eat
    b) what you eat

actually, there is "c) when you eat" too.... but that's a bit complicated and too much to go into for me right now (and its nothing to do with not eating at night coz that will automatically make you gain fat or similar junk "science" coz that is 100% myth)

Anyway, I digress....

This site is about calorie counting.... SO.....

If your total kcals is under your Base Metabolic Rate, you will lose weight.... strictly speaking, it really doesn't matter where those kcals come from...... for example....eating fat wont make you fat !... eating more than your calorific requirement will make you store fat.... so if you are going over in protein but lower in other places thats perfectly fine... there's alot more to this actually, but for now.. to keep things simple, i'll leave it at that....

So in summary, yes its fine to go over your protein recommendation if you are having less fats/carbs (i recommend reducing carbs rather than fat, unless you eat a crud load of fat eg above 100g a day) and staying under your kcals.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hiya, you will have to calculate your weight into kilograms if you don't already to do that divide your weight in pounds by 2.2
    (2.2 lbs = 1 kg). Once you have the kilogram weight, multiply that by 0.8, that is the Daily recommended allowance of protein for women ages 19 - 50. Adolescents should be higher as should nursing mothers or athletes. Over 50 your protein requirements drop a little but the ratio is still valid. Hope this helps.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It is best to do a min of 1g\lb of lean body mass as well as a min of .45g\lb lean body mass of fat (no trans obviously). Whatever you fill the rest of your cals with doesn't matter although between food and supps you should make sure to get enough MICROnutrients as well. You can adjust the MFP recommended values on Home>Goals>Custom. I personally am at 169lbs with ~145lbs LBM and I eat 200 P per day. When I switch to bulking I am going to start with 250.