Does anyone else have a violent nauseous reaction to soy

Options
alsaxon
alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
A few years ago I used to drink Atkins shakes because they were healthy and delicious. Without warning they changed the formula ;I tasted a mild difference but kept drinking. Literally within 30 seconds I was violently ill. I found out they changed the formula. Well for years I avoided soy because of this. Recently, I gave soy a try again thinking well maybe it was something else in the Atkins formula. I purchased Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai Tea. It tasted great but within 60 seconds the same awful feeling. Is this weird or is this a soy allergy? The Atkins has Soy Protein Isolate in it while the Bolthouse has Soy Protein Isolate and Soy Milk.

Replies

• Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've never tried soy, but when my daughter was a baby we had a free can of soy formula. OMG she smelled so bad from it. It was like coming out of her skin. I will never try it, because of that.

Maybe you're allergic to soy?
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do you eat other things with soy in it? Like edamame beans? Or tofu? It's absolutely possible to be allergic/intolerant to soy... but its omnipresent in processed foods, so it might be something else in those beverages thats making you ill.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Dreadfully allergic to soy and gives me brutal headaches, it's creeping into so many things that I have to read the label on everything. Hope you feel better soon.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Soy is a common allergy. Soy milk sometimes makes my stomach feel weird, but I don't get that reaction from all soy I eat.
  • alsaxon
    Options
    Dreadfully allergic to soy and gives me brutal headaches, it's creeping into so many things that I have to read the label on everything. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you. Thankfully, the feeling only last for that moment and passes once I throw up. Gross I know.
  • alsaxon
    Options
    Do you eat other things with soy in it? Like edamame beans? Or tofu? It's absolutely possible to be allergic/intolerant to soy... but its omnipresent in processed foods, so it might be something else in those beverages thats making you ill.

No, not really but thanks. That's a good idea to drill it down. I'll try those items and see what happens. I think I've had tofu before with no problems but very seldom.
  • alsaxon
    Options
    Oh yeah, an Odwalla soy drink did this to me as well about 6 months ago so yeah there is definitely something going on with me and so.