124»

Replies

• Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Okay, in short, you have your BMR--that means the number of calories you burn in a day, with no exercise, like if you were to lay in bed all day. For most people that number is around 1800. So if your BMR was 1800 calories, and you ate 1800 calories, you would maintain the same weight.

For losing weight, you need a calorie deficit for each day. So, if your BMR was 1800, 1200 would be that deficit. 1200 calories a day is also much less than most people should eat, even people trying to lose. MyFitnessPal set my calorie goal a day to 1400. So, I eat 1400 a day or as close to it as I can get.

Then you add in exercise. So, say your calorie goal given by MyFitPal is 1200. Then you exercise and burn 500. You already had the deficit, so in order to keep your body from getting too few calories and starting to hold onto the extra weight (called "starvation mode"), you need to eat back the calories. Your NET calories should be what MyFitPal sets as your calorie goal.

Some people want to say that MyFitPal already calculates in your exercise and you do not need to eat the calories back. That isn't exactly true. They count in your daily activity level--say, light activity it will put you at a higher calorie goal that if you set it to sedentary--but they do not count in your exercise calories in advance.

Does that help clarify anything?
  • Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    You need 1200 calories a day. If you burn off 500 calories, (1200-500), then you are at (700). THEREFORE, you have to eat the calories you burned off (500) back.

Example: you decided to eat a burger and fries or something (1200 calories), then you realize, "Oh shi**, that was all my calories for the day. I better go for a run!" Then, you run 5 miles and burn 500 calories. (1200-500) That puts you BACK to (700) calories for the day. So after your run you would have to make yourself a nice big salad with some lean protein. Let's say it's (500) calories, (700+500=1200)! Then you are done for the day. YOU MUST HAVE 1200 NET CALORIES, 200 net is not enough!

Very well said^^^^^^^^^^
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    This thread should be destroyed, along with all the people who have multiplied the world's suffering by responding. Is it any wonder that we have a weight problem? It is conceivable that one of the responses here on this thread was accurate and reasonable, but I can't see how the OP should be expected to pick it out of the absolute mess we have made. Unbelievable. Seriously, who else is frightened by the staggering collection of conflicting bits of advice on one single thread?

What now? Deafening silence would seem appropriate, if late in its arrival.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    So if you need to burn more calories than you consume, why are there people telling me that net caories are horrible... it doesnt make any sence. if they dont know for sure than i think they need to shut the **** up because its confusing the hell out of me to the point where im about to give up all together.... im 5"4' and weight 135. this is good but i want to be 110. thats my goal. but i dont know what to do anymore because uneducated people want to tell me what they THINK thdy know instead of what they actually know... Help?
    Just follow the MFP recommendations.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Simple.:flowerforyou:
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Geez, people are quite harsh this evening.

OP (equals Original Poster by the way). Here's a customized calorie guideline from Fat 2 Fit based on your sex, hight, current weight and goal weight. Use this as a guideline. If you are truly burning 1,000 calories a day from exercise that would put you Very Active and thus you should really be consuming nearly 2,200 calories. This is what others are saying with regards to the 1,200 calorie net. My recommendation validate the number of calories you're actually burning by getting a Heart Rate Monitor with chest strap. It'll be an estimate but it's the closest you can get. If you only consume 1,200 then burn 1,000 you'll be in trouble down the road especially given that your BMR is 1379 (basically what you body burns per day if you laid in bed all day.) You should never eat below this number...that should be goal number 1. It may work for a little while but when you add exercise your workouts will suffer, you'll be lethargic, you'll burn muscle for fuel, etc. Ultimately, you'll stop losing weight which is your goal.

Now you have two numbers, your BMR (1,379) and a TDEE based on your activity level (say 2,191)

To lose a lb a week reduce the 2,191 by 500 calories per day (1,691) and that's your target. Do that for the next month and see how things go. If you're still in the same place add another 100 calories or so; if you're humming along and workout are going great try reducing by another 100 or so. It's trial an error but if you stop losing weight EAT MORE as you're likely under the 1,379 as a net number so your body will slow down your metabolism.

Last couple of things:
    - Don't be discouraged right away if eating at this level. Your body will normalize itself after a week or so as you metabolism kicks up. You've been eating a very low net so you body will be like "where is all this fuel coming from". Much of it will be water weight.
    - On that note, try to drink your body weight in water as it'll help speed up that process. That's a goal do you best but at least 8 - 8oz per day plus lots during exercise
    - Set you MFP marco levels to 40% Carbs/40% Protein/20% Fat...aim to eat that mix with ever meal as much as possible
    - Having been eating a low calorie net here are some suggestions for simple ways to add calories quickly:
    Protein shakes, with fruit, 1% milk, a banana (usually can get to 400+ cals)
    Get a bunch of nuts and don't be afraid of the fat b/c it's all good fat. A serving of most nuts is nearly 200 calories
    Get some all natural peanut butter or other nut butters. 2 tbsp is nearly 200 calories. I eat a PB and natural fruit preserves (Polander) on 1 slice of Whole Grain Bread every single day. It rules and it's all good...over 350 calories
    Get some 1% cottage cheese...1cup = 180 calories and lots of Protein.

I hope that helps and makes it somewhat less confusing. Glad you sought out help as you'd be sitting there wondering in a month why you've only lost a lb!

Custom BMR Calculation

Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 35 year old female, 64 inches tall, weighing 135 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 110 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1379 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1524
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1746
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1969
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2191
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2413

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

If you have any questions on what you've read here, please contact us.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    You need to eat more
    You might lose at first but then soon that'll be too many calls for your body.
    You will platue and your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will.slow down and hang on to fat.
    Eat more healthy calories. Id.suggest 1300-1600 for a start if your working up... then increase it