what cals are you at?

Options

Replies

• dtucker3800
    dtucker3800 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For the first 12 months of my diet I kept my calories to 1250 a day. That was hard, but I was able to lose 34 pounds during the year. I bumped it up to 1440 (maintenance) a few weeks ago as I'm on a plateau. I had stopped losing weight at 1250 a day, but I have only lost 1/2 pound in 23 days at 1440 a day. Everyone here seems to be eating more. I was only eating 1600 when I weighed 34 pounds more so I don't want to get back in that rut. I have hypothyroidism so that means I can't eat as much as others without this problem.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200/day in mid-January (I was actually not even eating that much for the first month, not good). I did that until early May. I upped to 1300 and started running. Then I started eating nack my exercise cals and the weight loss slowed, so I now eat 1500 and do not eat back exercise cals. I'm 5'2", SW 198, CW 136, GW about 115.
  • ChassityDawn
    Options
    I am 25 and sedatary.
    MFP puts me at 1200 a day just for 1 lb a week, That is hard for me. I had my first meeting with a trainer today and he told me to eat 200-300 cal every 3 hours with one of those meals being a little bigger. Not sure which to go by? How do I put in my own number instead of MFP on my diary?
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    1200 ;3. It's actually a lot when you eat the right things~ I lose about a pound a week on average.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i aim to net my bmr :) always eat exercise cals. so i net 1400ish
  • thewestwifey
    thewestwifey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1340 which is nearly impossible for me to attain. I'm working on finding out what works for me. It's a hard task though.
    Currently I weigh 160 (i lost a pound but gained it back). I set it to lose 1lb/wk

I'm trying to read as much as possible to find out if anyone else has been where I'm out and completely disagreed with MFP for the calorie max.

I've only been at this a couple weeks so it's still a work in progress.

Good luck everyone!!

I am 24 F, 5'4" with a SW of 220 and sedentary desk job - MFP set me at 1200 cal per day... I tried for a week just eating that and I had extreme headaches, and I thought to myself well my body is just in shock. The next week I started adding cardio, and I was struggling to maintain the 1200 cal per day so I would eat past, and then I would feel bad and I was spending all my time in the gym to burn off my additional calories. So essentially I was exercising to eat = not good. I agree with other people who posted, if you have a splurge day or know that you will be over then you need to "pay for it" by making sure you schedule time in to work it off. I did a lot of research about everything and my best suggestion is listen to your body. Do what makes you comfortable. You do not want to be in the gym 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week, and you do not want to have headaches. I have since upped my calories to 1500 day, and I can manage to meet that without having to go to the gym and work it off. However, if I do make into the gym to do cardio I do not eat back my calories. It is what I have found that works best for you. Just experiment with trial and error - you may see the scale go up, but it is like tuning your body to configure it to be what works best for you. Be patience, it will work! This place is a good motivator! Good Luck! :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1900 calories per day. I exercise 6 days a week (doing Insanity) and my goal weight loss rate is 0.5 - 1 pound per week.

I'm 5'7, current weight 156, and my goal is 135.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Average around 2500 calories, with 600-800 burnt in workouts each day, so I net around 1800-2000 basically.
    Mind you, I have been overeating recently and have been hitting closer to 3000.

I am on maintenance, or was, lol.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    i aim to net my bmr :) always eat exercise cals. so i net 1400ish
    Me too! :happy:

I started with the 1200 per day - hungry, tired, cranky, not enough energy for workouts. Upped it to I dunno, 1400 or something, still not enough. Raised my activity level & set my goal to lose .5lb a week, and calories went up to 1580 or so. Eventually plateaued, and then I found this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info there, and I found my BMR, the amount of calories I need to lay in bed all day, and my TDEE, total daily energy expenditure (based on my activity level, age, gender, weight, height, etc, etc,). I set my daily calories to 1800 a day (roughly 20% below my TDEE, so there's a deficit), and I make sure that I my net calories always come in at my BMR, but not over my TDEE. And it's working!

I'm almost to my goal, so my losses at this point are slow, and show more in how my clothes fit rather than what the scale says - but I have lost another pound this week. :drinker: And I bought size 4 jeans yesterday! :drinker: :drinker:

Summary: calories set to 1800, but no worries if I go a little over because I know I'm still under my TDEE at the end of the day.
  • Suaso
    Suaso Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm set at around 1500 (I set my goals manually).
    I generally eat around 1200 and net 400-600.
    I work out 4-6 times a week (all cardio..soon to mix in weights) for roughly an hour and a half.
    I'm losing between 2-3 pounds a week.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    My goal is set at 2400 for a 1 lb fat loss per week. I think I really need to up the calories I'm eating though as I've been doing a bit more excercise lately. I've been around 3000-3100 iirc the last few days, but I still think it's too few.

I've been actually losing about 1.5 lbs per week lately.
  • samanthatricia
    samanthatricia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie consumption goal per day, with a goal weight loss of 2 lbs weekly.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1340 which is nearly impossible for me to attain. I'm working on finding out what works for me. It's a hard task though.
    Currently I weigh 160 (i lost a pound but gained it back). I set it to lose 1lb/wk

I'm trying to read as much as possible to find out if anyone else has been where I'm out and completely disagreed with MFP for the calorie max.

I've only been at this a couple weeks so it's still a work in progress.

Good luck everyone!!

it is hard if im in the right mind set and i want it like nothing else i can eat however low (plus im NOT patient) but if i just want to lose weight just because then i binge bc im like ok todays the day after i eat like a banana and granola bar im like OMG IM AT 400 CALS ONLY 800 LEFT AND ITS 7AM OMG..lol now i space it out but idk for me i have to want this REALLY BAD.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'8' and 214 lbs (starrted at 231)

about 1250 a day give or take a couple of hundred.

i exercise 3-4 times a week burning about 300 a time.

lost 17 lbs in about 11 weeks - im cool with that

pls add me if you are similar to me in terms of weight, goals or lifestyle
  • erinlea75
    erinlea75 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    5'4"
    187lbs
    desk job, work out at least 60 minute/day 2x week and 20-30 the rest of the week (that's what I've started this week, prior it was really just the 2x week)

When I started about 6 weeks ago, MFP set me at 1200. I actually don't find that hard to do on a regular basis as long as I make healthy choices.

But I calculated by BMR and it is 1489. For light activity, my calories should be 1900.

I'm afraid to go that high because I'm also hypothyroid and it's hard enough to lose weight with that.

So yesterday I reset my calories to 1500. Going to play around with that for a couple of weeks.
  • kayschlichting
    Options
    I am trying to stay under 1400 cal a day so it will be a slow process, it is difficult most days though.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1600 is my goal, although I don't really track on the weekends. I'm 39, 5'7.5" and currently 162. I started at 175, my goal is 145 or thereabouts, and I've been losing at the rate of a pound a week on average. I don't do much cardio, I weight train 2-3 times per week.

Edit to add that I eat all of my exercise calories back.
  • vryanz
    vryanz Posts: 49
    Options
    I am 5'4" and about 140ish. I am set at 1200. I am losing at a steady rate. Some days are hard, but I like being at 1200, it suits me best, and if I eat right I can actually eat a lot. I am a big salad/fruit/protein person anyway, so it's not bad at all.
    I lift weights about 20 min a day most days, but don't log it as lifting only 20 mins a day doesn't give much of a calorie burn. I do it mainly for keeping my muscle and toning it at this point, as well as long term metabolism burn :)
    Feel free to add me!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i'm at 1520...I'm 5'11" and sit on my butt all day at work LOL
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    mfp put me at 1200. It wasn't enough for me. So I stay around 1300-1400.