What's the point?

Options
124»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories are bonus. Eat what you need of them if you are hungry but don't binge just because you have exercise calories left. Drink LOTs oF Water And don't ever drop below 1200 calories consumed for the day. This is my first go with MFP trying to drop the 25 lbs gained when I got off plan for two years.... best plan... eat real food..fruits, veggies, lean protein, high fiber carbs., and even dessert IN MODERATION. And Sweat, Sweat, Sweat with your workout..."If you ain't sweatin'...you ain't done" Just my $0.02

Eating your exercise calories is not binging. If you just started MFP, perhaps you don't understand that you're *supposed* to eat those back (though it's smart to eat only a portion to account for inaccuracies)?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    OP, looking at your diary I see that you are often over calories. Aside from cleaning up what you eat, you might want to start with staying on target with calories. If you're over a lot of the time, how do you know this doesn't work? You're not following the program. So maybe start with that, and eat back around 75% of your exercise calories rather than every single one (and sometimes more), and see what happens.
  • andreaeszter
    Options
    I can see that you have been really trying for the past few weeks. I am sorry that you are frustrated. I am not seeing many fresh, nutritious meals in your diary, but lots of drinks, sweets, processed foods instead with little nutritional value and possibly more empty calories than you expect. Instead of continuing with the same, try changing what you eat and drink on a regular basis: clear soups, fresh salads, whole grains, veggies, unprocessed foods, no calories in drinks. Obviously, you deserve fantastic returns for your hard effort. Best of everything to you!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting, exercising, and staying within recommended calories for near 5 months now. I stopped losing anything months ago and eventually came to this site because of all the support and the weight/measurement trackers. Today I weighed in at exactly the same weight I hit 3 months ago. I lose a tiny bit, I gain it back, I lose it again, and back it comes. I've upped my cals. I've dropped my sodium. I've added different/changed my exercise. What is the point of putting in all this effort only to stagnate at the same weight, the same measurements? Why does nothing I do matter? All I wanted in march when I started this was to slim down to fit a certain pretty dress I own by October. In march I needed to lose a total of 10 cm or about 4 inches. 5 months of hard work and determination and I need to lose 10 cm. I am no closer for all the tracking and effort. Why won't the fat just go away?

Seriously, your eating habits suck. It's all junk. And your calorie goal is high. I'm male, 5'8" and weighed 195 when I started. My calorie goal was 1400. Yours is something like 1700. Eat real food, not coffee with cream, and packaged junk like Snickers bars. You don't lose weight by TRACKING calories. You lose weight by not eating calories and by burning calories.

And I'm a 5'4" female who weighs between 145-150lbs. I can easily lose weight when I NET 2100-2200 calories a day, and yes.. that is NET calories. I would be so hungry I'd be threatening to eat small animals and neighborhood children if all I got was 1400 calories a day. Different things work for different people.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My views are a bit radical for some but you have you tried low carbing to get out of your slump? Keep your carbs under 100 net per day and up your protein to about 80 grams per day in 3-4 meals. Go lower on the carbs if you can, and stick to just veggie with one serving of fruit and I am willing to bet you will notice a loss withing in a week.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    My advice isnt much different from what others have already said.

Get rid of the empty calories...i define that as anything you drink or snack on which has little if any nutritional value. If you have a sweet tooth having something once or twice a week isnt bad but daily consumption will kill any weight loss attempts.

Add weights to your workout to increase the intensity. You should feel the burn and your heartrate should be elevated. Sweating alone isnt a good indicator so if you cant tell then get a hear rate moniter.

Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit for snacks. Stay away from processed foods. Once again they are a waste of calories and loaded with sodium. You will fell better mentally and physically which will help you stay focused and motivated.

Dont give up...no one achieves their goals without giving it 100%. There isnt any shortcuts or quick fixes. Just DO IT!!! :flowerforyou:
  • feellikerain
    feellikerain Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think others have said this, but I'll reiterate. Looking at your exercise log I saw that you do some strength training occassionally, my question is what does that consist of? I'd recommend doing more strength training. As in, SERIOUS strength training, no 5lb bicep curls. High weight, low reps. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you do this, you probably won't see a change on the scales right away, but you will see the inches go down over time!! Muscle takes up far less space than fat, and helps you burn more of it too, so it's a double win!!

If you're already doing this, good for you! Keep it up because you're doing your muscles good and will see the results eventually. Refining your food choices would probably help a bit, but others have talked more about this already. Best of luck!!
  • jenyanta
    jenyanta Posts: 6
    Options
    1. Get real about your diet.
    You can still have your coffee and drink it too. Drop the 500 cal coffees and go with the 88 cal ones. Non-fat milk rather than cream.

Snickers and Ice cream cookies? seriously?

2. Walking is good. Walking like a turtle isn't. I've seen old people walk to the buffet line faster than you walk your dog.
    I am assuming you are in good health...get your speed up. If you aren't pushing 3.5 - 4 mph you're wasting your time. Better yet, jog a little. You don't have to complete a marathon, but every other block? Every third light pole? 30 seconds intervals?

How heavy are you lifting? Go heavy or go home.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The best things I have done and that have worked for me amazingly (not saying they work for everyone, but what has worked for me for me to start seeing results):

1. Buy a food scale, its the best $20 investment you'll ever make
    2. Drink more water, I have more energy than coffee has ever given me by upping my water intake
    3. Cut your carbs and up your protein, this is what has worked the best for me, I'm currently doing 30/40/30 carb/protein/fat and I've noticed a change in my body in just the last week
    4. Watch your sodium, I suggest adding it to your tracker
    5. VEGGIESSSSS eat more veggies, I aim to have a large serving of protein and a veggie with lunch and dinner, breakfast I aim for a protein and a fruit.
    6. Make sure you sweat, if you aren't sweating, you're not working, if your workout isn't hard, then its not a workout, also add some weight training in, muscle looks better than skinny.

Don't give up, but seriously consider giving your diet a major overhaul, its hard work to eat healthy, but its very rewarding, you'll most likely see a huge change in your energy once you change what you eat. Everyone's advice is good advice, and now its time for you to figure out what works best for you, I wouldn't suggest upping to 1800, unless you aren't going to eat back your exercise calories. Play around with peoples tips and see what works for you, because none of us are you, but everyone has good advice

This has some good advice. Once you get past the "omg, you're eating crap" hysteria, the one thing that jumped out at me is that, between your diet and exercise (if your estimate is correct), you're not eating above your bmr very often. You are having low days and exercising on top of them. This is setting you up to go over in the next few days. Figure out how to eat 80% "good" and 20% not so "good". If you want coffee, brew your own. I drink a cup and a half a day with sweetener and 4 tablespoons of whole milk for less than 25 calories. The whole milk is just as satisfying as creamers with a fraction of the calorie cost and it tastes better than reduced fat milk. If you think you need to take your friend's advice and up your fat then add avocado to chicken or salad or whatever. Good fats are one of the easiest things to find. You don't have to go all or nothing. Start with one meal a day, improve upon it and move to the next.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    My views are a bit radical for some but you have you tried low carbing to get out of your slump? Keep your carbs under 100 net per day and up your protein to about 80 grams per day in 3-4 meals. Go lower on the carbs if you can, and stick to just veggie with one serving of fruit and I am willing to bet you will notice a loss withing in a week.
    Not too radical. I lost a ton doing low carb+ low fat. I would only advise you find or create a plan that increases "good" carbs and fat slowly over time. If you just eat low for a few weeks and then go right back into white pasta, bad breads, and soft cheeses you will put some of the weight back on quickly.
    ETA: I miss my morning coffee, I commute to NYC and Starbucks was always available and quick (and delicious). I make my coffee at home now with Truvia and Silk Light. It's not bad and I allow myself to hit the coffee bar once a month so I don't feel deprived (anymore- I did at first but I think everyone does when we remove something we love from our diets).
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting, exercising, and staying within recommended calories for near 5 months now. I stopped losing anything months ago and eventually came to this site because of all the support and the weight/measurement trackers. Today I weighed in at exactly the same weight I hit 3 months ago. I lose a tiny bit, I gain it back, I lose it again, and back it comes. I've upped my cals. I've dropped my sodium. I've added different/changed my exercise. What is the point of putting in all this effort only to stagnate at the same weight, the same measurements? Why does nothing I do matter? All I wanted in march when I started this was to slim down to fit a certain pretty dress I own by October. In march I needed to lose a total of 10 cm or about 4 inches. 5 months of hard work and determination and I need to lose 10 cm. I am no closer for all the tracking and effort. Why won't the fat just go away?

Seriously, your eating habits suck. It's all junk. And your calorie goal is high. I'm male, 5'8" and weighed 195 when I started. My calorie goal was 1400. Yours is something like 1700. Eat real food, not coffee with cream, and packaged junk like Snickers bars. You don't lose weight by TRACKING calories. You lose weight by not eating calories and by burning calories.

And I'm a 5'4" female who weighs between 145-150lbs. I can easily lose weight when I NET 2100-2200 calories a day, and yes.. that is NET calories. I would be so hungry I'd be threatening to eat small animals and neighborhood children if all I got was 1400 calories a day. Different things work for different people.

EXACTLY- different things work for different people. Her diet/exercise isn't working for her. So, in order to make it work, she needs to change it. Agreed?
  • rjt1000
    Options
    OP eat what you want...UP your calories a bit and just make sure whatever you're eating stays within your caloric goals!

seriously? "I'm not losing weight..." and you're response is "eat more as long as you stay within your goals"? Not even questioning how her goals are set or anything at all?
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    OP eat what you want...UP your calories a bit and just make sure whatever you're eating stays within your caloric goals!

seriously? "I'm not losing weight..." and you're response is "eat more as long as you stay within your goals"? Not even questioning how her goals are set or anything at all?

She is netting below 1200 calories on quite a few days, which means she is *probably* eating below her bmr. So the advice to eat more is sound.
  • rjt1000
    Options

She is netting below 1200 calories on quite a few days, which means she is *probably* eating below her bmr. So the advice to eat more is sound.

I see 1500+ calories almost every day and most of them are junk calories. 450 calories (almost 1/3 of her calories each day) from coffee drink. Perhaps eating healthy calories might be a start.