Divas at the gym (RANT)

Options

Replies

• namari
    namari Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It always seems worse in the classes then just in the main gym, example i do different classes depending on whats on at my gym and the last time i went to zumba this guy beside me was jumping all over the place and banging into people (he stood on my foot) while singing along at the top of his lungs i think in future i might stick to b.a.t and pump classes where no sideways movement is required......
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I thought only women could be divas?

yep. I have heard a man is called a Divo...IDK sounds silly..lol

Wasnt there a group with that name in the 80s. They wore strange hats. Excuse me my age is showing.

That was Devo! "Are we not men? We are Devo!"
    I said whip it! whip it good! lol
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    Devo, not Divo :)
    Actually you could spell it both ways....Urban Dictionary is where I got Divo :-)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Easier to invent responses to this after the fact, but it seems to me that the best response would be something like... lean over and express your concern in a LOUD stage whisper, "Are you ok? Do you need me to get you some help?" And if he says he's ok or blows off your initial comments, "Maybe you need to do something less strenuous?"

On the other hand... perhaps he really is that out of shape and already self-conscious, as many of us are, in the gym. Ignore him, he's not really hurting you. Get a good story out of it, and vent all you want here
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I took a body pump class today and the guy next to me was grunting up a storm the whole time, SO LOUDLY! He also struck these exaggerated poses in between each set to demonstrate his exhaustion (ie doubling over clutching his abs). Because of all his noise, everyone in the class was staring at our corner most of the time, making ME feel self-conscious and distracting me from my workout.

I know that everyone's body is different and maybe he's nursing an injury or something but this guy looked really fit and he was lifting the same amount of weight as me (a 19 year old female who started lifting 2 months ago...) for most of the class.

I'm all for doing what you gotta do to get work done at the gym but there comes a point where you're just begging for attention.

*Rant over*

the bold parts made me LOL
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    .... the gym guy I hate. .......he sports an obvious hard on.

Wonder what HE does between sets??
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Devo, not Divo :)
    Actually you could spell it both ways....Urban Dictionary is where I got Divo :-)

The band is called Devo - thats what they were referring to in response to the comment above that.
  • Manrahan
    Manrahan Posts: 40
    Options
    I hate it when people make sounds in my presence too.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Devo still exists!! They're playing in San Francisco in September -- with Blondie!! Ha! I may have to go ... :-)
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    God you hit the nail on the head lady!! I hate being the only woman that goes to my gym and sweats!! it really annoys me to see girls come in and leave looking the same!! They come just to flirt with the guys that take up the whole weight section and damn-it that bothers me too!! i need a new gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You guys are hilarious!!!! I laughed at just about every comment!!!!! lmao..hahahaha!!!!!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Its just so much more enjoyable when there is lots of grunting involved.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what everyone else says...I have done Body Pump...it is a fun, awesome workout, but so not gruntworthy (at least not to the extremes that it sounds like this person is going to).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Devo still exists!! They're playing in San Francisco in September -- with Blondie!! Ha! I may have to go ... :-)

Wow - thats my neck of the woods. I noticed they were still playing when I went to get a gif and realized that they were just a tad older in the pics than I remembered. :smile:
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    The lead singer of Devo is now the "artist" in Yo Gabba Gabba. I think he should have stuck with music because my 19 month old son draws better than he does. Just saying.
  • Cookie_Monster_69
    Options
    u should have started making noises as well. HAHA
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

That would be classic!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    The guy on the treadmill next to me last night was laughing hysterically whilst running. The sound of running and hysterical laughter together is a bit terrifying.....like being chased by a lunatic.

I wouldn't call him a diva, but it was creepy.
  • Cookie_Monster_69
    Options

That would be classic!

LOL :)
  • mjnov
    mjnov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness has a "lunk alarm" that the employees ring every time someone grunts loudly or drops weights. sounds like this guy needed one..