Quit smoking without gaining weight

Options
I've posted this in the quitting smoking group but I think it would be also good to post it here. Today I consider quitting smoking again since there are already 6 members of my family who died from lung cancer & I know that lung cancer runs in my family. I tried quitting smoking before but evetually came back to that habit because I gained weight like crazy. Now I know all about the benefits far outweighs the weight gain but I really don't care all about it & weight gain is what I've been really dreading the most that actually discourages me from quitting. I heard that nicotine increases our metabolism & so when we quit, we gain weight even doing the same diet & exercise habits. Moreover I had ED issues before which is why I'm really dreading to see 6-20 lbs. "modest" weight gain. It doesn't matter if I will only gain 10 lbs. or less but I really want not to gain weight while quitting & even after quitting.

Do any of you lost weight or maintained your weight while quitting smoking? Please share some tips.

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    bump.. anyone?
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    You read my mind! I was just about to post something in here...
    I quit smoking today and I am going crazy! I have been trying so hard not to stuff my face to the extreme all day. I keep going jogging in small increments to distract myself, but the more I try not to crave cigarettes, the more I crave food. So far, I have it under control, but just barely...
    I am by no means overweight, but I also have an ugly past with ED's. I am worried that this could lead into a bad, bad, episode.
    Any suggestions???
    Options
    Yeah that's what happened to me in the past when I tried quitting smoking that made me gained weight. I was like uncontrollable. I tried e-cigarettes & see if it worked but sadly it wasn't. Also when I was at a shopping mall, I saw this cigarette substitute that has no nicotine & claims that will help make me not crave cigarettes but I'm not sure if it works.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I read that one in four quitters actually loses weight. It doesn't have to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's true that to end a habit you pretty much need to replace it with a new one. I quit smoking long ago using cognitive behavioral therapy methods. Notice what triggers you to smoke and then replace the smoking with a more healthful action. Bored? Do a sudoko. Stiff? Stretch. Mouth need stimulation? Sip some ice water. Sleepy? Nap or walk a little. Etc. You re-attach new habits to old triggers. Eating doesn't have to be one of the new habits.

Good luck! There's nothing like getting that monkey off your back.
    Options
    I read that one in four quitters actually loses weight. It doesn't have to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's true that to end a habit you pretty much need to replace it with a new one. I quit smoking long ago using cognitive behavioral therapy methods. Notice what triggers you to smoke and then replace the smoking with a more healthful action. Bored? Do a sudoko. Stiff? Stretch. Mouth need stimulation? Sip some ice water. Sleepy? Nap or walk a little. Etc. You re-attach new habits to old triggers. Eating doesn't have to be one of the new habits.

Good luck! There's nothing like getting that monkey off your back.

Thank you so much :)

I'm copying your advice right now to put into my mini-notebook to serve as a reminder.