Will I ever be normal?

Options
Will I ever be able to eat and not worry about every little things that goes in my mouth or how much I have to exercise to get rid of it? Will I ever be able to eat just for the sake of eating...to go out to dinner and enjoy myself and not have to deny myself? To be able to be like others who go out to eat and enjoy themselves and that's that? Am I going to have to count every single calorie for the rest of my life?

I'm not falling off the wagon or even close to giving up...I'm just frustrated. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.gif

Anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. It seems I eat, sleep, and breathe exercise and healthy eating. I am on MFP more than ever! I don't plan on ever eating for the sake of eating. I plan to be more relaxed when I have it figured out but until then I plan to just keep at it and not let myself get discouraged. I set small goals and I reach them by working at it. Working out has become fun because I have changed my mindset. Its okay! You can do it!
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You are learning so much by taking this journey that will forever stay with you!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on ever eating for the sake of eating. I plan to be more relaxed when I have it figured out

That's what I mean. I want to be able to eat and not obsess over it...but I don't want to be the extreme opposite and eat and eat and now be aware of what I'm doing.
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on ever eating for the sake of eating. I plan to be more relaxed when I have it figured out

That's what I mean. I want to be able to eat and not obsess over it...but I don't want to be the extreme opposite and eat and eat and now be aware of what I'm doing.

It will happen when you feel comfortable with your choices. You can separate yourself from MFP when you know you can do it! When you are confident try it on your own but do not do it too soon.
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Everything I eat if i'm home I measure or if i'm out i'm thinking in my head ohh this looks like 1/2 cup, or this looks like a teaspoon. I'm always thinking how many calories something is before I eat it and how many I have left for the day. I was just thinking this today...is this how it's going to be the rest of my life?? Coming from a big italian family food is such a social thing, I feel like i'm seperating myself from that because I don't want to fall into old habits.

I try to tell myself it's not a diet it's a healthy lifestyle. The problem is that it consumes so many of my thoughts throughout the day!!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Everything I eat if i'm home I measure or if i'm out i'm thinking in my head ohh this looks like 1/2 cup, or this looks like a teaspoon. I'm always thinking how many calories something is before I eat it and how many I have left for the day. I was just thinking this today...is this how it's going to be the rest of my life?? Coming from a big italian family food is such a social thing, I feel like i'm seperating myself from that because I don't want to fall into old habits.

I try to tell myself it's not a diet it's a healthy lifestyle. The problem is that it consumes so many of my thoughts throughout the day!!

I know exactly what u mean, in my family its all about my mom's cooking and having bbq's special dinners etc. and i definately agree that you are only going to be like that until u feel comfortable with making ur food choices on your own. until then u kind of have to be careful with what you eat.

Think of it this way.....all the foods that u are craving will always be there, if u cant have it today u can have it tomorrow or the next day and so on....if u don't eat it u won't die! lol
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same things...will I ever be able to have something yummy in the house and not eat it all up in one night? Will I ever stop obsessing about food? It makes me sad sometimes, and it makes me mad at myself for being this way. I'm completely abnormal when it comes to food. I can't eat 1 or 2 cookies, I have to eat at least 6...or 10...or maybe the whole bag, I can't order a little 6" pizza, it has to be a large pizza AND garlic fingers, and of course I can't have that pizza without pop...even though I've supposedly QUIT pop. I can't stop eating sweets even though my sugar is up, and I shouldn't be eating them at all...

Sorry, I know this was about your frustration, but I'm frustrated too. :tongue:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Will I ever be able to eat and not worry about every little things that goes in my mouth or how much I have to exercise to get rid of it? Will I ever be able to eat just for the sake of eating...to go out to dinner and enjoy myself and not have to deny myself? To be able to be like others who go out to eat and enjoy themselves and that's that? Am I going to have to count every single calorie for the rest of my life?

I'm not falling off the wagon or even close to giving up...I'm just frustrated. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.gif

Anyone else feel like this?

I also felt like that today when I went to a drive in movie and everyone was having popcorn and nachos and soda - I wish I could but I kept strong cuz I know I can eat freely some day, WHEN i reach my goal. UNTIL THEN LIPS TIGHT!

My cheat foods will be there all the time, a healthy body won't
  • dangerkitty2001
    Options
    I'm right there with all of you. I hate being "THAT girl" who obsesses over every single calorie. It's my hope that someday meshing food and life will become easier!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • theatregoddess
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, and it's frustrating. Which is why I allow myself one cheat day out of the week, every week. I just have whatever it is that I'm craving: whether it be a big ol' cheeseburger, or a piece of yummy cake. Because if I don't, I'll go nuts, and I'll binge. Plus, it keeps me happy, and let's me know that I can have fun while still trying to lose weight. =]
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I've been through this. But when you are at your target weight, you will be able to relax sometimes, but you will have developed good habits to help you through this relaxed attitude. You'll start to automatically want the good food over the bad food, because you'll feel good about making the right choice. You'll be more satisisfied with a small portion, so you may not need to measure. But you'll always have to monitor, get on the scale once a week or so, and reel it back in if you get too relaxed.
  • janessmi
    Options
    I wonder the same things...will I ever be able to have something yummy in the house and not eat it all up in one night? Will I ever stop obsessing about food? It makes me sad sometimes, and it makes me mad at myself for being this way. I'm completely abnormal when it comes to food. I can't eat 1 or 2 cookies, I have to eat at least 6...or 10...or maybe the whole bag, I can't order a little 6" pizza, it has to be a large pizza AND garlic fingers, and of course I can't have that pizza without pop...even though I've supposedly QUIT pop. I can't stop eating sweets even though my sugar is up, and I shouldn't be eating them at all...

I understand and it scares me. I even do it with healthy foods. I freeze red grapes as a snack. The first time I did it, I eat the whole bag. Now I put them in 30 grape snack baggies. Last night I eat two baggies and want to go get a third one. I restristed. Thank god.
  • abartle
    abartle Posts: 11
    Options
    along with the other folks who have commented, I have the same questions and worries....will i EVER stop obsessing? But, to the good side of things, I feel really good right now and I like the goal I have obtained. I have a little farther to go and it does get frustrating at times to think and plan out your day around calories, and believe me as my boyfriend could TOTALLY verify, I plan out EVERY bite.

One thing I have learned in my 8 year weight loss journey, I have actually lost a complete total of 77lbs, is that you cannot deny yourself, just be smart about your portion sizes when you do want that slice of pizza.

Good Luck to you and to all of us on our path!
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I do not want to upset anyone here. The thing is this is not a diet it is a true lifestyle change and you will always have to keep a check on what you eat, the exercises, and making the right choices. The thing is if you go back to old habits then the weight comes back and you do not want that to happen so yes you will always have to know and monitor everything. it does get to be second nature and you will soon learn what the portions look like and the servings in order to breathe just a bit. I promise it gets easier as you go and you just do without thinking a lot about it. Hang in there you be just fine. God Bles, Brenda
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel the same way. But, I'm hoping that we are training ourselves to have good eating habits and that eventually it will be second nature and it won't take so much of our energy. When I was younger I wasn't consumed by food so it is hard to imagine that I use to live like that, but I'm hoping that I can again. Until the good habits replace the bad, we have to be vigilent or our bad habits will return-and the weight.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Don't be sorry, I feel the same exact way! :explode:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    tuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.giftuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.gif
    Dont worry, I got your back
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Seems like it is all you think of day in and day out.

I savored each goal, each milestone, each push up along the way. I can tell you that once I hit my goal, I didnt want to go back to the way things used to be.

Now I just do it. It is a part of my life and doesn't take much thought. My friends now order better apps before the meal and offer to share big salads with me. It tastes better than fried chicken:noway: I KNOW who AM I and what have I done with the real Jeannie???

You are doing so well. I hope you are proud of what you have accomplished so far.

As for me, I am enjoying the 'new normal' !!