I think I'm gaining weight, but not doing anything wrong?

Options
Hey everyone,

So a few weeks back I decided to start lifting weights and up my calories, seeing that my BMR is around 1500 and I wasn't nearly eating enough. I WAS losing weight at 1300 calories, but being 5'7'' I didn't see that as very healthy or good for my metabolism.
Now I feel like I'm getting enough to eat, but I am also gaining weight. I know that I should gain a bit of weight because I'm strength training, but I don't think I'm losing any inches. If anything, my lower stomach feels as if it's gained quite a bit! I haven't seen any results since upping my calories, which I have done for a few months now, and I'm wondering if I should cut back again, or if I should take a different route.

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're probably just:
    1. Bloated - check your diet for sodium
    2. Retaining water in your muscles from your new routine.

Give it a few more weeks! It will all even out and you'll be very glad in the long run that you stuck with it!!
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    wow! this is exactly what I'm going through!

I upped my calories a couple hundred when I started more weight/circuit training this Summer (I used to only do treadmill)...I track and do my best to stay within calories, YET, with the major increase in working out, I do not seem to be losing, but actually gaining...things that have never been tight are tight now...very disheartening when you are working out so hard...

Do you really think it's water in muscles? I'm trying to tell myself to wait until mid August so I see the definition and inches start to come off as so many others have said will happen after 6-8 weeks...please, I could use some encouragement too!! :)
  • Tysonhi98
    Tysonhi98 Posts: 21
    Options
    try getting into doing a core strength routine and up your cardio, this will be the most effective way to lose weight and gain strength.