How fast do you walk on the treadmill?

Options
124»

Replies

• wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    3.2 mph. I start at 3% incline and after 3 minutes jump up to 12% then back down to 3% after another 3 minutes. Rinse and repeat for 15-20 minutes depending on whether or not it's a lifting day or an off day. Jumping between inclines is like doing HIIT on a treadmill. I have a bad knee from the military so running is a bit hard right now.
  • Krishappy
    Options
    I am Krishappy. Nice to meet you. I recommend at least where your heart rate is reached and maintained for at least 45 to 60 minutes. Rate is what you set. However, it should start out with a 3.0 then accelerate to a 4.5 which is a jog. When you start out go and walk for 10 min then run for 2 min then walk for 5 then run for 2 then walk for 5 and when finished 10 minute walk cool down. Increase the run time for 1 minute for each week you're getting use to it. If you have a heart condition or knee problem it would not be a good idea to run. So, talk with your physician first for an exercise regiment. If you want to burn more calories look at going and shopping or gardening. Remember you burn more calories in hot weather than cold. But, the internet said you will burn approx 400 calories an hour depending on your weight. I have been working at this for a year and it still is hard but, you have to see the goal and go for it. If you have health concerns don't go more than 4.5 speed. As you exercise more it may get easier and with the less weight you'll find that exercising is easier. Don't forget to lose the fat by doing more strength training (weights) however, you want to do more reps not more weight. This will help you get rid of the fat without bulking up and having the fat show more. Only when you have lost all the weight can you increase the weight for toning. I started in 2011 at 210 and now I'm 152.1. My pants size went from 18W now to a 11 juniors. Hope to see you at the finishing line with me smiling with success. I am 50 yrs old so, losing weight is not impossible but, it just takes a little work. Nothing is simple. It does take work. Also, try to cut out the fattening foods and no sweets or desserts!!! You must give them up. I can't stress this enough. Also, watch your salt intake. It can cause you to gain water weight. Also, look at your medications if you take them. Some can make you gain weight. I am a carbs person. So you also need to watch the carbs too. They must be eaten in moderation. And, lastly, stick to the caloric goal.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I have a major fear of tripping on the treadmill and falling on my face so I usually go 3.5 up to 4.2 (max) with an incline of 2 to 5 and I'm holding on to the sides for dear life!:laugh:
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I walk at 3.5 mph and then increase to 4.8 mph for slow jog for 1 minute intervals.
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Options
    I like to take my backpack. fill it with weights up to but not to exceed 40 lbs. Then I set the treadmill at its highest incline. Speed is always random somedays its 4mph others it can be 3.0mph. WHats important is the incline and the added weight and you will see your heartrate grow!
  • stevefisher68
    stevefisher68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 45 5'-8" and 341# I started 6-20-2013 3 days a week at 0 incline started at 2mph for 20min now up to 2mph for 40 min and last min i go up to 4mph walking. I never have liked running or could without cramping up in the side. I want to get a heart rate monitor to make sure I don't overdo but still looking. I don't know if I'm doing any good at 2mph but i also do 30min of weight lifting 3 days a week for about 30min switching between lower and upper body every other day with a 2 day rest per week. lost 11# so far.
  • Scrogglez
    Scrogglez Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    highest incline - whatever I feel like walking for 30 mins - usually around 500 cal. burned.

I hate the treadmill
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think there are a million different answers here, and none are wrong. Just aim to do your personal best! I started with just being happy to get on a treadmill for 5 minutes without being thrown off! Now, I start at 3.6...walk for 3 minutes, then jog for 2 at 4.6, then repeat....till I've gone 5K (3.1 miles). I'm inching up the incline or speed ever so slightly every week. Keep moving!
  • katherine611
    katherine611 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I walk incline of 14 and the speed is 4.2:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    sometimes 20, 25 or 30 minutes. It all depends on my schedule and if I am crunched to get it in.:flowerforyou: