help with a label

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
So my mom got a small sampler cheese cake from the grocery store as a gift for her birthday last week. We just busted it out and I had a slice then I got to look at the label to log it and this is what it says (I should mention there were 8 small slices) Serving size 1 piece. Servings per cont. 5. WTH? There were 8 slices.....What to I log?

Replies

• thisisjl
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/worlds-best-cheesecake-original-cheesecake-sampler-new-york-triple-chocolate-strawberry-swirl-marble-2385256

Here is the MFP nutrition info which matches the product label. BUT the question is ... 8 servings or 5?
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I was that worried about Id just split the differnce in calories
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    5/8 = 0.625 so log in 0.625 of one serving since you had less than one serving.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this but is it common to have a discrpency on serving size and servings per container?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this but is it common to have a discrpency on serving size and servings per container?

Usually with prepacked foods it is. Companies change their ingredients and serving sizes quite often. I find that when I buy anything packaged I always have to check the label even when I think I already know it.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    Thanks guys I like the 206 Cal treat verses 300 cal's ;-) I would have counted it at 300 and been ok with my decision but it through me for a loop when I saw the inaccuracy.
  • pantherkeith
    pantherkeith Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and count an entire 1/5 pie slice's nutritional values as what I ate, even if I only ate 1/8 of the pie. That way you're sure not to go over your daily goal, and the amount you are under is not going to adversely affect you.

OR

You could do this:

1/5 = 8/40. 1/8 = 5/40. So, if you ate 1/8 of the pie, you ate 5/8 of a single serving as reflected in the nutritional values, so you could say you ate .625 of 1 serving.
  • pantherkeith
    pantherkeith Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Yes, and some are pretty sneaky about it. Look at a bag of Pop Secret Homestyle popcorn, and tell me how many calories you think are in an entire bag of pop corn. I swear I felt like I needed a algebra professor to help me with the equation!