Grocery shopping and I'm clueless on what is healthy!

Options
vbruce3
vbruce3 Posts: 10 Member
:huh: I am an educated person and like to believe I have some intelligence, but growing up I was always so thin and ate anything I wanted. Now that I have 3 grown kids, the story has changed. I am over weight and the scale says close to obese. My problem is not that I dont want to, but that I don't know how. Teachers don't learn nutrition in college they learn managing kids. Im really serious about losing weight now but unsuccessful because I really do not know what good food choices are. Can anyone advise me? Thanks!

Replies

• phxJames
    phxJames Posts: 20
    Options
    The produce section is your friend. Have at it as much as you can!
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Generally anything on the outside aisles!!! :)

Take a look at Michi's Ladder from Beachbody. This is the company that makes P90X, Insanity and many other home workout programs. It's not a diet but rather a nutrition list. The higher up on the ladder, the better the food is for you. They say if you eat from the top 2 rungs you'll have near perfect nutrition. I personally stay to the top 3 90% of the time but do on the lower rungs when necessary!

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder
  • vbruce3
    vbruce3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Anything helps. I will check out Michi's Ladder. So appreciate the advice.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you've got a smart phone, there's an app called Fooducate - you can scan items right there in the grocery store and it will give you the food's "grade" on how healthy it is, shows calorie count, etc.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    :huh: I am an educated person and like to believe I have some intelligence, but growing up I was always so thin and ate anything I wanted. Now that I have 3 grown kids, the story has changed. I am over weight and the scale says close to obese. My problem is not that I dont want to, but that I don't know how. Teachers don't learn nutrition in college they learn managing kids. Im really serious about losing weight now but unsuccessful because I really do not know what good food choices are. Can anyone advise me? Thanks!

The healthiest foods are found on the perimeter of the store.

The aisles where all the packaged, boxed, bagged, frozen food is at is NOT healthy.