New to running - track or street??

Options
2»

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think track running is SO BORING! I don't mind running on a treadmill though.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The street is much better as you said more scenery, not boring.. My badvise would be to start by walking and once your legs are warmed up a little, start by running lightly. The repeat the walking and then running. As the days go by you will notice you are running more than you are walking. But understand when you start out, everything will be hurting!! So don't overdo it. Take it slow, you will be surprised how qucikly your body adjusts.

Let me know how you are doing!!!

Basil
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    The only tracks here are at schools and they are uptight about people who are not associated with the school using them. So I run on the sidewalks (street running). Also I think I would get bored seeing the same old scenery every quarter mile.
  • kate11233
    kate11233 Posts: 13
    Options
    Nature running! I love trail running (probably because I run off road cross country) But, it's so fun! You have to put in concentration of where you step and where you going so your mind is less on the effort your putting in!

26353644.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I loved running when i was younger and did majority on street. After 2 Knee surgeries related to basketball injuries the pounding from the hard surface was to much so i moved to the local hs track which is the recycled rubber did that for about 5 yrs now I don't run at all because i got lazy and then fat. But would love to run again.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Street with a good gps app (I like Nike). Tracks are BORING!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I always run on a track. The rubber surface is good for the knees, there's no unnecessary hassle with traffic, there's always people to motivate you, its flat, you can do intervals etc.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks in to the C25k program . I have chosen to do the majority of my runs on the local track for 2 reasons. 1) it's easy to time and measure distance when switching from run to walk and 2) the track is way better for knees and joints. I spend 8 hr a day standing on concrete at work and want to minimize damage. It may be boring but I chose saving my knees over mental entertainment.ill save the concrete for races.