Iron filled foods/meals?

Options
mamaturner
mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
So I've had an iron defficiency since I can remember but I'd rather find the foods I need than take a vitamin. I know pastas, breads, potatoes and such have lots of iron, but does anyone have any favs other than these? Or perhaps full meals that are packed full? I'm sick of looking like I'm beat up all the time, I bruise like a darn over ripened peach!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    spinach is good for iron ..... i make omelets and put spinach it in ... good luck :smile:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,611 Member
    Options
    One cup of Cheerios supplies 45% of the RDA for iron.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Try Total 100% Cereals - in 1/2 cup of cereal you get 100% of iron as well as other vitamins. That's my breakfast so I don't have to worry about taking a multivitamin. :)
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    I've heard that the iron added to boxed cereals isn't usable by your body.

Tofu and spinach is a really iron-full meal. I just mash a block of tofu, warm some garlic in a pan, add the tofu, a bag of frozen spinach and some salt or a bullion cube and hey presto, it's a meal :)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Chili
    Ground beef and pinto or black beans, ketchup and chili poweer.

Spaghetti Sauce
    ground beef, tomato sauce, spinach
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    no one has mentioned guiness yet.

I really must be full of iron lol.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Try Total 100% Cereals - in 1/2 cup of cereal you get 100% of iron as well as other vitamins. That's my breakfast so I don't have to worry about taking a multivitamin. :)

That's impressive ! Thank you!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Chili
    Ground beef and pinto or black beans, ketchup and chili poweer.

Spaghetti Sauce
    ground beef, tomato sauce, spinach

Good I make Chili EVERY Packer game for good luck! lol something we've been doing since I was a little girl.
  • everyday
    everyday Posts: 127
    Options
    "MULIGRAIN" Cheerios has 100% daily value of iron per cup!

and they taste good :smile:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

That's impressive ! Thank you!

Sorry, I meant 1 cup! :tongue: With the variety of flavors (Even Cinnamon Crunch) - it's easy to vary your breakfast.
  • mjkon
    mjkon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As one of the other posters noted, the iron in fortified white bread and cereal is not readily absorbed. I seem to remember from nutrition courses long ago that the absorbable form would dye the food rust-colored, which is why it's not used.

Red meat, liver, and dark leafy greens are good food sources, but it is easier to simply cook with a cast iron skillet. The iron from the pan is absorbed into the food.

You also need Vitamin C along with the iron, by the way. Most people think of citrus fruit, but potatoes are also very high in C, and easier to work into a dinner.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Red meat, molasses, leafy greens (but aren't as easily assimilated into the body), marmite (apparently), and the best of all, the cast iron skillet.

Cook a steak on a cast iron skillet if you want a power punch of iron.