Knee Advice...please

Options

Replies

• Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I also have a left knee issue. I have a 50% tear in my patella tendon on my left knee (the tendon that keeps your kneecap in place) and due to a ton of run around with worker's comp (it happened at work) I didn't get to an ortho till almost 2 months later. The Ortho felt urgery was considered a step back so I've had a ton of physical therapy and have exercises to strengthen the muscles around my left knee. Its been a year and due to daily pain and swelling I've been told strictly to avoid squats, lunges, running and stairs (I have to take them one at a time now, I think my grandma does them faster than I, lol!). I also have really loud popping in my knee and some instability (my kneecap slides further and more sideways than it is supposed to due to the torn tendon) so that I have a tendancy to fall/trip easily.

I would avoid all exercises that stress your knee till you can see your doctor and get an idea of what might be the issue so that it doesn't get made worse. I would take an anti-inflammatory, I personally think Aleve (Naproxin Sodium is the generic name) is MAGIC and ice and elevate with any swelling or pain till you can see your Dr. An injured knee sucks and you don't want to make it worse. I do a lot of power walking as my exercise and swimming when I can visit my sister (her apt. complex has a pool) since it is great exercise for a bad knee.
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've experienced similar symptoms with my knees... After doing some research, I've recently started adding some strength training exercises for my hip muscles several times a week. The hip muscles help stabilize the knee and it appears that people who suffer from runner's knee often benefit from this kind of strengthening. I'm not convinced that 30DS is "bad" for the knees... I think I probably just have a muscle imbalance.... but I'm no expert.... just throwing it out there. :D

Erm....as I'm new to all this exercise malarky can you give me some hints on strength training exercises for the hips...ideally somehting where I don't have to go to a gym *shudder*
  • Witchmoo
    Options
    Appointment booked with GP for 2nd August!
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    After speaking with an orthopedic surgeon, he told me that because your knees are supporting roughly 75% of your body, that every pound you are overweight, is roughly the equivalent of 4 pounds of "pressure" on your knee. So do the math. Lose 10 lbs is about 40 lbs less pressure on your knee. Lose 100 lbs, 400 lbs less pressure. Single largest factor in knee pain "generally" speaking, is being overweight. Just food for thought.
  • correll26
    correll26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've worked through hip and knee issues for years. Mike Robertson has some very good info on hip strength and mobility -- I recommend that you start with his site: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/knee-strengthening-exercises/ I have his "bulletproof knees" product which is very in depth on knee anatomy, causes of issues and exercises to get you from bad to ok to great.

I really want to avoid an eventual knee replacement so I try and do everything that I can to improve it daily!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I've had noisy knees for years and years, never with a lot of pain. However, in the last couple years I gained a lot of weight and pain started hitting. Last year, I bent down one day, and my knee locked up and I thought I was gonna die, lol... I was shopping when it happened, in the middle of the store, couldn't stand up, couldn't kneel on the ground, had to roll over and lay there. SO horrified! So I went to the dr, and he said I have a patellar tendon disorder. It's VERY common in women, and when my knee locked up, it was because the kneecap is supposed to slide up and down in the groove on the femur and mine is actually popping out to the side, and when that happens, the tendons are wrapping around the patella. gross! I had to see a physical therapist for a bit, and he gave me exercises and routines to strengthen muscles in my lower back and hips that would help pull the kneecap properly. It got a LOT better after that! My knees are still crunchy sounding, but they haven't locked up since last summer, although I've lost 40lbs since then, so that could help a little :smile:
    Everyone is different, but like I said, it's apparently super common, and it sounds like a lot of people just don't know about it. May be something to ask your dr about!

Is the patellar tendon the one right below the knee cap? If so, then I have this also. My doctor has me doing exercising for it. This actually started back in 1989. Another thing I have found to help is to season my food with turmeric.
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    Iv read that even in full health , as in having a " perfect" knee, that it takes longer for the joints to adjust than it does the muscles. So even if your muscles are up to the challenge, the joints arent. And that you have to slowly ( 10% percentage of effort weekly or more) build your joints up to it.
    Came from a running magazine if youre interested
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My knees grind since I've had kids ( and haven't totally lost all that baby weight-my baby is 11), I bought a mini trampoline and I do all the cardio portions of my DVDs on it, it's made a difference. I also have given up on lunges for now, those were doing my knees in.
    Rest is best until you're feeling better for sure. With joint pain, working through the pain is not always best!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Super! Take it easy and go on light walks/swim until then.
    Appointment booked with GP for 2nd August!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I was thinking of getting back into my yoga....never tried pilates.....I worry some of the yoga poses may be too much for the knee...and some I know are still too much for my recovering shoulders......lord I'm falling apart!

When I first started working out regularly, my knees were a real problem and I couldn't do active lunges at all. It was yoga, with its static lunges, that helped strengthen the muscles around my knees. Warrior 2 and extended side angle are great for the knees, you can keep your hands on your waist if your shoulders can't yet handle any extension.
  • Witchmoo
    Options
    I was thinking of getting back into my yoga....never tried pilates.....I worry some of the yoga poses may be too much for the knee...and some I know are still too much for my recovering shoulders......lord I'm falling apart!

When I first started working out regularly, my knees were a real problem and I couldn't do active lunges at all. It was yoga, with its static lunges, that helped strengthen the muscles around my knees. Warrior 2 and extended side angle are great for the knees, you can keep your hands on your waist if your shoulders can't yet handle any extension.

Brilliant thanks for that!
  • erinleigh76
    Options
    may have to look into treatment myself...it's one of the reasons I'm finally taking this seriously (the weight loss)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've worked through hip and knee issues for years. Mike Robertson has some very good info on hip strength and mobility -- I recommend that you start with his site: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/knee-strengthening-exercises/ I have his "bulletproof knees" product which is very in depth on knee anatomy, causes of issues and exercises to get you from bad to ok to great.

I really want to avoid an eventual knee replacement so I try and do everything that I can to improve it daily!

What a fantastic link! Thanks for this - got it bookmarked.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just noticed in my comment that I said to look at the alignment of your knee cap when straightening it, but I meant to say when bending it.
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have patellofemoral syndrome also, and was also born with feet turned inward (it was corrected with casts and shoes), and I was injured in some bad car accidents (also hit by a car while I was riding my bike as part of my knee treatment), I'm also a dancer.

There is the usual Rest, Ice, Compression Elevation (RICE)

Strengthening the inner quadriceps muscles, and massaging the IT band (on the outer part of the thigh). This could help to re-balance the knee cap. You can see if this is an issue if when you straighten your knee, you see the knee cap is to the outer side of the knee. Seeing a physiotherapist would help.

Biking is great for strengthening the correct muscles and also a cardio that does not hurt the knee.

I can't do extended, high impact cardio, without breaks. I have to make other exercise choices.

Oh, and also a lot of knee problems originate from the foot, so have your feet checked.

I too had the patello-femoral syndrome and when I hurt my foot years ago my PT recommended the strength training for the quads. Now that I'm older I try to limit my running outdoors and take chondroitin glucosamine msm which helps A LOT.
  • Witchmoo
    Options
    Ah ha just found two pilates dvd's in the drawer bought but never looked at......going to give them a go as they seem to focus on the things I've read about to help knee problems...fingers crossed!
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. My doctor hasn't mentioned insoles, but i wonder if they'd help me. I'll look into it!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You need to REST, if you start pilates and yoga without the supervision of a doctor or a qualified instructor, you are putting your knees at further risk.
  • Witchmoo
    Options
    It really has eased off though.....I managed the pilates yesterday with no pain.....do you not think that means I'd just overdone it with 30DS and the noise is just noise and not a serious as first thought. I will still mention it to the GP when I go on the 2nd.

I just know if I stop exercise now I'll quit and I need to keep going......I know what I'm like....I am having a rest day today but the knee isn't hurting today...