Fit Bit

Options
I'm thinking of buying a fit bit. My question is, do I need to pay the $49 yearly fee if I only use it for MFP?

Replies

• LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am planning to buy one next month - but I didn't see anything about a yearly fee????
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    it's free ubless u sign up for the plus. I love my fit bit.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There is no yearly fee with fitbit. You just pay the $99 and that is it. I love mine!!!
  • Cathy060
    Cathy060 Posts: 26
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for 3 months and haven't seen any need to upgrade to the premium membership. So, no, you don't have to.
  • ANGfitnessweddle
    Options
    I have had one for 2 months now and pay no fee. Everything you need is free, except for the device itself obviously. Word of advice....get it at best buy and buy the warrenty for $15!!! Very worth it!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    yeah what yearly fee?

oh i just googled that and another post on here says it charges one IF you want to set up goals with it.

here is what i found on their website... http://www.fitbit.com/premium/about
  • akelley15
    akelley15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit. I just use the free membership. I don't see the need for the premium membership.
  • MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    The $49 is optional if you want to subscribe to fitbit's upgrade deal on their website. This is completely unnecessary if you are syncing your fit bit to MFP. Save your $49 bucks for some hot new gym shoes instead!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have had my FitBit for about 8-9 mths now, and I love it. I certainly has shown me how I have become more fit, after a 50 lbs loss I do not burn nearly as much calories in a 50 min fast fast walk as I once did, sadly. But it keeps me movitivated to get that 5 miles in each day which is the goal.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Buy the Fitbit. Skip the premium membership. Love mine!
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have had one for 2 months now and pay no fee. Everything you need is free, except for the device itself obviously. Word of advice....get it at best buy and buy the warrenty for $15!!! Very worth it!

I don't know how much it is at best buy, but the warranty is probably not worth it. I've read on MFP numerous times how people get free replacements on the Fitbit (or charging station and wristband) if absolutely anything goes wrong. And it seems it's almost always user error- dropping it in the toilet, smashing it, etc. Everyone raves about the customer service.

Oh, and forgot to add: I LOVE MINE. Along with everyone else, if you forget it at home, you literally will turn around and go back and get it. It really becomes an important part of your routine.
  • christamt
    christamt Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    no you dont need to do that.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is a premium membership that has a few more bells and whistles, but you don't need it.

Their customer service is top notch. Some of the best I've ever seen. They should be writing books. But at a minimum, they've been reading them. LOL. Serious.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Does the Fit Bit only measure steps taken? And then convert that into calories burned?

If I were to do a weight lifting session, would it measure that calories burned from that?
  • sprtz
    sprtz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey I just got a fitbit a couple of days ago any advice out there?
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Does the Fit Bit only measure steps taken? And then convert that into calories burned?

If I were to do a weight lifting session, would it measure that calories burned from that?

Yes I want to know the same thing
  • shushu71
    shushu71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No you dont need to pay the extra fee to link with MFP. I have had one for over two years now. I have used it with and without the extra support. The extra support gives you access to exercise plans/challenges and such.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Yes I want to know the same thing

I can't tell if it is just a super-duper pedometer (with the sleep tracker). Same thing with Body Media.
  • bgrambau
    bgrambau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is awesome, you will love having it. It becomes addictive to hit your goals for steps and levels climbed. it is a motivator!
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm not into weights (yet), but I've heard that you need to use a HRM in conjunction with the FitBit for lifting weights. The Fitbit tracks movement. But it can't determine how heavy you are lifting. Same goes with using an incline on your treadmill.

The Fitbit will count steps walked, so you're encouraged to park farther out in the parking lot, and whatever else you can do to meet your goals. It tracks how many flights of stairs you've climbed. It tracks how many calories you've burned based upon your movement. And it tracks how well you're sleeping.

You can set your own goals without the premium membership. For example, your default flights of stairs goal will be 10. I live in a two-story house, so I've changed my goal to 12. Your default steps will be 10,000. You'd be surprised on how fast they add up when you're busy, or how you're lacking if you sit too much. At the end of the day, you're compelled to do laps around your coffee table to get in those last few steps. :blushing:

You can add friends and it's fun to watch how you compare to them with the goals you've set.

You don't need to do anything on their website, but watch and take in the info it provides. All your entries in MFP will sync with FB. The FB website will give a great calculation of calories in and calories out. It will let you know if you're undereating or over eating based on your activity level so far during the day. I hope this helps explain a little.