I need to drink more water-- help!

Options
HeavyLiftGirl
HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had an aversion to water. I would drink it plain and it made me queasy.
Well...here I am almost a year since her birth, and I still sometimes get that feeling. I tried drinking VitaminWater Zero to have something with flavor, but I still don't always finish a full bottle.

How do you manage to get your 8 glasses a day? Any tips/tricks/suggestion you are willing to share?

TIA!

Replies

• TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Something simple works for me: a straw. I don't know why but I drink more water.

Although when I get bored, I add fruit: usually frozen: lemon, lime, organges, raspberries, strawberries. Also the occasional cucumber.
  • adrushe
    adrushe Posts: 25
    Options
    I am really picky with water, too. I don't like tap (city) water. I only like well water or filtered water. I also don't like room temperature water. Only cold. So I often drink water with lots of ice in it. If I go out to a restaurant I'll get water with lemon in it to mask the gross additives that city water contains (floride, chlorine, etc). Also I like to add lime, cucumber, etc to water to make it a bit tastier. Hope that helps.
  • staceymae19
    Options
    yeah a straw always worked for me too
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I carry around one of those big, heavy plastic cups with a lid and straw. It's a 24 oz cup. I usually add a sclice of lemon or some frozen berries like someone else suggested. This thing is attached to my hip. I take it everywhere and just sip all day long. Before I know it I have to refill....and with lots of ice. I can't drink it unless it's ice cold!
  • smess2
    smess2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I keep a cup at my desk at work. Whenever it empties, I refill it. It sounds simple but I easily drink 6-8 cups a day.
  • slliwlt
    slliwlt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was always teased for having a tiny bladder (seriously-I have to pee ALL THE TIME!) So-I started avoiding drinking anything. Then the bladder infections started.... one after another after another! ugh! I now carry my camelback water bottle with me everywhere! I force myself to drink 2 big jugs full per day. Occasionally I will add a crystal light packet, or a sustain packet when I am exercising-(I add them to more water than they recommend -they are too sweet for me if I go by directions) but generally it's just plain water. Good luck!
  • rhiannamk
    rhiannamk Posts: 5
    Options
    I typically drink a glass before each meal. I also use a water bottle to sip water throughout the day. Do you notice a difference if you drink a whole glass (6-8oz) compared to just sips? Drinking it at different temperatures? Maybe hot tea? I also drink carbonated water sometimes. I add the True Lemon packets. I've seen many ideas for flavored water with fresh fruits, like berries, citrus, melon, herbs. Mainly I just know it's good for me and make myself drink it! I always order water when out too.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Crystal light! only 10 calories per packet, i have a 32 oz bottle that i put one pack in because the flavors i like are too strong for a tiny little bottle to me...
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I just making myself drink one cup during every hour I'm at my desk at work. Works out to 8 cups :)

I don't have any tips or tricks....I just drink it!
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Something simple works for me: a straw. I don't know why but I drink more water.

Although when I get bored, I add fruit: usually frozen: lemon, lime, organges, raspberries, strawberries. Also the occasional cucumber.

i love straws too!
    a squirt of lemon juice is my favourite addition.
    I always make sure to have my water bottle with my in my car. for some reason, i tend to get thirsty when driving.. and can sometimes drink 1-2 cups just during my commute.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    straws work. And bottled water. One bottle of nestle is equal to 2 cups. You can do it. Add a little crystal light if you need it. :)
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am drinking about a gallon of water each day. There are times when I too get that queasy feeling from drinking water. I have found that when I am sick of plain water the Mio water enhancers have really helped me. I tend to buy the store brand ones because they are less expensive, but they taste really good and they have no calories and they do not use nutrasweet. They use a splenda version of a sweetner.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    For some reason I drink more from water bottles than a glass. I also throw a slice of lemon in them in the morning(or night before) and let them sit for a bit. It gives me a flavor change without using fake sweeteners.
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon a day as well. I keep my water bottle filled and next to me all the time. I used to drink the walmart flavored carbonated waters, but I've gotten to like plain water better. Make it a habit and it'll get easier
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Straw is a great idea! Also try lemon and cucumber together in water... we call it "spa" water because it's like what you get at the spa... LOL

It is really refreshing!
  • BowTieBaby
    Options
    I hate water, I always have. I get the queasy feeling quite frequently when I drink it plain. So to help, I use one of the large, double-walled, hard plastic cups with the straw and add a Target brand water mix (Comparable to Crystal Light). The mix certainly helps! I try to get through 4 of them during my 8 hours at work.
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options

I second this!! Also, do you use a filter at home? Might make your tap water taste better to you.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, watermelon, and iceberg lettuce are just a few foods that are water dense and calorie light. Try these to help increase your water intake. All water is not created equal and doesn't always have to come in a glass. Cheers!
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a 20oz water bottle, I try and drink it twice when I first wake up (I usually just chug it), then I have it on my desk all day, usually fill it up a few times, then I try have a water with every meal and snack, and carry a bottle with me when I go for a walk or to the gym.

I used to drink soda because it was so convenient to have a cold can, so I started keeping a whole case of bottled water in the fridge, so I could just have a bottle water whenever I wanted one, eventually I got into the habit so I switched to a reusable glass one (it tastes better than in plastic anyway) but I still carry disposables with me when I don't feel like worrying about keeping up with my bottle. I only drink reverse osmosis or distilled water (mainly because it tastes better, and it's much better cold), (unfiltered) tap water tastes horrible to me, I do use tap water when I make tea and it's fine.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I used to never drink water. Ever. Diet Coke, tea, milk, juice - but no water. I think when I started exercising, my body just naturally craves it - or maybe I just pay more attention to it now than I used to - it probably always craved it, I just kept giving it something else!

My secret - I keep water bottles everywhere! I have 1 on my desk at work, 1 I take everywhere (car, gym, even church), 1 on my nightstand. I have Contigo brand, which makes a fun "POP" sound whenever you release the seal and you can chug or sip as you like.

My daughter decorates my workout bottle with stickers - she gives me a new sticker for every 10 lbs I lose. It's qutie motivating to see, too!