Metformin/Glucophage

I have gone to a couple of different doctors that seem to think that Metformin/Glucophage is a miracle pill for weight loss. I have been prescribed up to 2000mg/day (1000mg BID). Has anyone else had a similar experience? I've not been able to find any research able to back up these claims, and I'm a little hesitant to add another pill to my daily regimen if there isn't any evidence to substantiate these expectations. It hasn't worked for me yet, so I stopped. I am going to start again today and see if combining it with diet and exercise might garner more results than just using the pill by itself. Any feedback would definitely be appreciated!!!

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    I have gone to a couple of different doctors that seem to think that Metformin/Glucophage is a miracle pill for weight loss. I have been prescribed up to 2000mg/day (1000mg BID). Has anyone else had a similar experience? I've not been able to find any research able to back up these claims, and I'm a little hesitant to add another pill to my daily regimen if there isn't any evidence to substantiate these expectations. It hasn't worked for me yet, so I stopped. I am going to start again today and see if combining it with diet and exercise might garner more results than just using the pill by itself. Any feedback would definitely be appreciated!!!

I wouldn't take it unless you are diabetic... Especially not in doses that high

P.s. I'm a registered nurse and previously diabetic... metformin gave me intestinal side effects that were horrible...
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    I take metformin because I am Diabetic. I don't believe you should be taking it for weight lose. It will lower your blood sugar which isn't a good thing if you have normal blood sugars to begin with.
  • AndieP85
    AndieP85 Posts: 18 Member
    I don't want to be graphic, but I stopped the first time because I suspected it to be the cause of some pretty awful "side effects". I was having to run to the bathroom. I wasn't sure if it was that medication, but it stopped as soon as I stopped taking it.
  • justjenn1977
    I don't want to be graphic, but I stopped the first time because I suspected it to be the cause of some pretty awful "side effects". I was having to run to the bathroom. I wasn't sure if it was that medication, but it stopped as soon as I stopped taking it.

Yes... Intestinal side effects
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    It is the first-line drug of choice for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, in particular, in overweight and obese people and those with normal kidney function.[1][2][3] Its use in gestational diabetes has been limited by safety concerns. It is also used in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome, and has been investigated for other diseases where insulin resistance may be an important factor. Metformin works by suppressing glucose production by the liver.
  • AndieP85
    Yes... Intestinal side effects
    [/quote]

Haha. Thanks, Jenn :)
  • LisaB55
    LisaB55 Posts: 35 Member
    Metformin is also often given to people with insulin resistance who do not (yet) have type 2 diabetes.
  • susi819
    susi819 Posts: 50 Member
    Metformin is a serious medication and should not be given just for loosing weight, UNLESS, you are insulin resistant, have PCOS, or pre-diabetic. Being insulin resistant makes it 50% harder to loose weight because the body doesn't produce enough insulin to turn blood sugar (healthy or unhealthy) into energy, so it converts it to fat. With that said, the medicine has side effects and should be supervised closely by a doctor. Also, without diet and exercise, it doesn't work.
  • I was recently put on Metformin 2000MG daily for PCOS and insulin resistance. I've only been on it for a little over a month and it's kinda awful. HOWEVER, I have noticed improvements in my problems and the side effects are starting to diminish. I have lost 15lbs this month without really trying at all but that's because it makes you so sick that you eat a lot less. Also it does make it easier to lose weight if you have insulin resistance. But if you have no problems other than needing to lose weight please don't go on it. It's not a magic pill unless you have an underlying medical condition.
  • AndieP85
    I do have PCOS, which I am on birth control for. Maybe that's why they chose to put me on Metformin, although they didn't really expound on that... I work in the same hospital as my doctors, so sometimes I think they don't explain things as thoroughly as they would for patients that aren't in the medical field, but in this case it would have been helpful to know why it was prescribed and why such a high dosage.... I think I may back down to 1000mg a day, though. I don't care about losing weight if I have to feel awful all day every day to get there. I work 40-60hrs/wk and I'm a single parent to a crazy little boy, so I can't afford to feel sick all the time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    The only reference I could find for the use of Metformin in nondiabetics as a weight loss aid was that it was considered to be a type of appetite suppressant.

There might be cases in which immediate weight loss was considered so medically necessary as to indicate such an intervention, but I would be skeptical. In the vast majority of cases, weight loss that occurs primarily via appetite suppression is regained within 2 years.

That being said, your doctor may have very good reasons for taking this step. However, I would politely, but firmly insist that I receive detailed information and justification why this medicine is being prescribed. .
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    so one thing my doc told me was start by taking a small dose for the first couple days then build up to the prescribed dose to reduce those nasty side effects
  • Well a symptom of PCOS is insulin resistance. That could be why they have you on it. However if they didn't do lab work beforehand I would be skeptical. Lowering that insulin resistance makes it easier to lose weight but only with diet and exercise. Also my symptoms from metformin may not be the same for you. I have a history of intestinal problems which is why I affects me so much.
  • My father is on glucophage and has lost a lot of weight (without intending to, of course). One of his former co-workers saw him recently and asked him if he was sick because he had lost so much weight. He doesn't look bad to me, but I am concerned that he does not exercise anymore and still eats more sweets than a diabetic probably should (due his newfound physical confidence and the fact that his blood sugar readings are "good").
  • justjenn1977

Haha. Thanks, Jenn :)

you are welcome...

I seriously would never take a medication unless I understood EXACTLY why it was prescribed and what the intended effects of it were to be. I am a registered nurse (I work in intensive care) and even though I am a nurse and I make life and death decisions about things I STILL ask the doctors 1)why do you want me (or my child) to take this. 2)how does it work 3)how long does it take to work and 4)if I don't see it working in xx days, what do I do?

even though I am a nurse, I still ask these questions... if they don't want to answer them I suggest to find another dr!
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Ok, chill out peeps. Metformin in the USA is classified for Diabetes yes. In Europe, however, it is also classified as a diet pill and has been proven to help people without Diabetes lose weight and keep it off. There are several pills (ie: kombiglyze) that are a combination of Metformin and another drug that are used for Diabetes and weight loss. Kombiglyze, for example, is Metformin and Saxagliptin. Saxagliptin is a drug that the FDA couldnt get approved to be by itself as a diet pill so it was forged with Metformin and "classified" for type 2 Diabetes. Where do I get my info? Well, Ive been in pharmacy for nearly a decade (Pharmacy Technician at 2 pharmacies and going back to school to become a Pharmacist in the spring), my aunt and uncle are both nurses, my best friends dad is a Dr, as well as both my boyfriends parents (his dad was the one that told me about Metformin in Europe so I asked my aunt and uncle and they both agreed, my best friends dad is a family Dr and has prescribed it for overweight individuals without Diabetes for several years now with no problems) All in all, it's up to you but the research is out there, it's not a bad drug :-) My 2 pesos ;-)

Side note: Im on Kombiglyze, no side effects, was pre-diabetic, not anymore though and still taking it
  • AndieP85
    Littlenicci:

I will have to look into that drug. I am confident that the doctor prescribed the Metformin for the right reasons (my hormone labs are rediculous, I only have the right side of my thyroid due to a procedure, I have a family history of diabetes--including a grandma that died from complications of DM, am pre-diabetic and had gestational diabetes in 2009, have a BMI of 39+, have PCOS, seriously, the list goes on...). I was mainly concerned about the side-effects I was experiencing.

I am starting to realize that it probably have worked a bit better had I done my part and actually ate right and excercised. I was in complete denial of how much food I was ingesting every day... I realize now that I was probably eating 3,000+ a day through random snacking and emotional binges. I honestly had no idea. MFP has pretty much changed my life. I am so thankful that I was introduced to it, and excited for the future!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Andie - ask your doctor if you can take the extended-release formula twice per day (cut the pill in half). My doctor prescribes 500mg to start instead of 1000mg to give patients time to get used to it. He said the extended-release is MUCH easier on the body, and it's best if you take half a pill after your last bite of breakfast and the other half after your last bite of dinner. Having a full stomach is key. He said very, very few of his patients experience nausea and other intestinal issues when they take it this way.

I'm filling my prescription tonight. I'm not going to start it until my next day off, though, because I work in a call center and can't just get up and run to the bathroom if I'm on a call. If I do have any bad side effects that first day, at least I'll be at home. Hopefully, it'll all be okay and I'll adjust to it in no time. /crosses fingers
  • LittleNicci,
    I am taking Kombiglyze for weight loss and I am not sure if I am experiencing side effects or not. Given your experience/knowledge, have you heard of people suffering any side effects from the drug? I have had some itching (hands, head, and generally all over), and awful headaches. Not sure if it is the weather or the drug? I can't find anything online (other than 'official' information about the drug) and would appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks in advance!
    Stephanie
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    I have been covering diabetes as a journalist for many years, plus I have type 1 diabetes (the insulin-only kind). Metformin will help greatly with insulin resistance and blood sugar maintenance, but it is NOT a weight loss drug and it's likely to only help you lose a few pounds at most.

The side effects will subside with regular use. You should notice this within a couple of weeks. However, if you stop taking the pills and then start again, you'll notice the side effects again. So stay consistent! :)

Byetta and Victoza, which are also type 2 drugs, are currently being investigated as weight loss drugs but it is OFF-LABEL and not FDA approved. They are also injections, not pills. You are unlikely to get a doctor to approve the drug unless you have type 2 diabetes.