Salt & Vinegar.

Options
natpalit
natpalit Posts: 113 Member
One of my biggest downfalls, in terms of eating unhealthily, (aside from liking chocolate!) has to be salt and vinegar crisps. I LOVE the vinegary flavour, ( i love it on chips as well,) but I still haven't found a healthier alternative.

A lot of people have mentioned Kale chips instead of crisps, but I don't see how I could add the vinegar flavour to it, while it retaining it's crispiness!!

If anyone else has this as well, how have you overcome the cravings? What alternatives can people suggest?? Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

• nikkitodhunter
    Options
    Try and get baked crisps? Walkers do them (at least here in the UK they do!) and they should be better for you :)
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You could try baked chips or to flavour kale chips you could get some of the salt and vinegar popcorn seasoning. Tastes great! I use it on popcorn too!
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    if you're into chickpeas try making salt and vinegar crunchy chick peas. so then at least you'd be getting a nice serving of protein and fiber with the calories and can control how much salt goes on them.

here's a link to a recipe... i've never made them, but would like to some day!
    http://www.chatelaine.com/en/blog/post/35593--healthy-snack-recipe-salt-and-vinegar-roasted-chickpeas
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I get the kettle chips, they're better for you and I portion them out and put away the bag....if not i'll eat the whole thing
  • natpalit
    Options
    Try and get baked crisps? Walkers do them (at least here in the UK they do!) and they should be better for you :)

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion, that's definitely an option, though I only ever seem to be able to find the cheese and onion flavour (bleurgh) in the tesco and co-op near my work. I guess I was also wondering if there's something more nutritious than potatoes that I can put them onto, so they are "better" calories that I am consuming!
  • natpalit
    Options
    You could try baked chips or to flavour kale chips you could get some of the salt and vinegar popcorn seasoning. Tastes great! I use it on popcorn too!

Hey, had a quick look on google for this seasoning? Is it a ready made seasoning? Where can you get it, sounds awesome.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    Where are you? If you're in Ireland/the UK, you could try snack-a-jacks, they're super-vinegary. Or else salt and vinegar rice cakes?
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    Options
    have you ever tried soaking cucumbers in a vinegar? I make a salad with cucumbers, onions, and vinegar. You also add some water. I am sure you could google the recipe. It is delicious but a different vinegar flavor than you will find on chips. You could add it to your veggie count.;-)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    God, I love salt and vinegar chips. Mmm.....:love:
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they have them in the UK...but I get cashews with sea salt and cracked black pepper on them. They taste just like salt and vinegar but they're at least healthier than crisps.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried soaking cucumbers in a vinegar? I make a salad with cucumbers, onions, and vinegar. You also add some water. I am sure you could google the recipe. It is delicious but a different vinegar flavor than you will find on chips. You could add it to your veggie count.;-)
    Aren't those called pickles?
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Damn! This just reminded me I have a bag tucked away here at the office... *nom nom, munch crunch*
  • munny_p
    munny_p Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Buy the individual baggies of kettle or baked S&V chips instead of the large bag...I know I could go through a whole bag as well
  • kelly1142
    kelly1142 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually put salt and vinegar on a 100 calorie bag of popcorn. Helps ease that craving!
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Aren't those called pickles?

nope they would have to use pickling cukes grew up on a farm there is a huge difference lol
  • natpalit
    Options
    Wow who knew there were so many salt and vinegar lovers out there.... reading this thread has just made me have cravings for it again..... thanks for all the great suggestions....! :-)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    if you're into chickpeas try making salt and vinegar crunchy chick peas. so then at least you'd be getting a nice serving of protein and fiber with the calories and can control how much salt goes on them.

http://www.chatelaine.com/en/blog/post/35593--healthy-snack-recipe-salt-and-vinegar-roasted-chickpeas

That sounds really good!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    God, I love salt and vinegar chips. Mmm.....:love:

Me, too--but loaded with fat, darn it! :noway: :laugh:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I will definitely be trying that! :-)