Foot pain in arch...

Jenni129
Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
I would like to run, jog or walk a ton more to speed up my weight loss. The only thing stopping me is horrible arch pain in my right foot. I am limping! I have tried running shoes, making sure there is arch support all the time. I have tried inserts. Should I see a podiatrist? Am I being a wimp? lol

Replies

• Sounds like you have Plantar fasciitis. I have this as well and it is very painful and debilitating. Does it hurt more in the morning? If so then it most definately is plantar fascitis.

My doctor gave me a steroid shot in my ankle but I don't recommend it as this can cause more damage and atrophy. You can ice it with a frozen bottle water under your foot and roll it. You can also place a tennis ball under your arch and massage while sitting. Stretching the foot and arch as much as possible. Orthopedic arch supports help a great deal but are expensive and you can't wear them with sandals. :( I wear flat sandals alot during the summer and it seems to agitate it more. So definately a good shoe with good arch support.

I'm hoping once the weight starts coming off the foot pain will go away.

I would stay away from running or jogging, just walk for now and do strength building excercises. If it gets worse you can go and see a podiatrist but like I said try and stay away from the steroid shot. Stretching, and icing and losing the weight is your best bet! Good luck!
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Yeah, I wondered if it was something like that. I try to get on my stationary bike more when my foot flares up to give it a break. It's just limiting as to how much I can do when I can't be on my feet. Frustrating.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    try looking into going barefoot to get rid of your plantar fascitis. I have several friends that swear it helped them, who knows :)
    probably loads of information on it with a google search
  • kma72
    kma72 Posts: 2
    Have you gone to a running store and had your gait analyzed? I did that when I started running and it made a huge difference.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    I had the same thing when I started working out. It was awful. What helps me is taking a bottle, the size of a toilet paper tube, and pushing down my foot onto it and rolling it back and forth. It stretches the muscle. It has gotten better over time but I still have it occasionally. They also sell things specifically made for that. http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Company-6312-Roller/dp/B0002Y1C6K/ref=pd_sim_hpc_7
    Not sure if the link works but you can check it out.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Ive been battling this for about the past 3-4 years. Roll your foot over a bottle or a tennis ball etc, often. And let me warn you at first thats going to hurt because that area is inflammed. Also make sure you are REALLY stretching your calves. Icing after a workout helps a lot too.

If you are constantly limping etc, it may be time to see a podiatrist..though I would hold off on steroid injections if possible. The first thing they did for me was tape my feet in a certain way and OMG what a relief !!! Also gave me a stretchy band to REALLY stretch out my feet and calves and it did help.
  • gerald1019
    gerald1019 Posts: 24 Member
    I, too, have problems with my feet. I have high arches and sometimes, my feet would feel like a knife sticking in my foot and twisting. Sometimes, it would hurt so bad that I would have to get out of bed. I used to use the Dr. Scholl's inserts. They would help for a while, but after about a month, I'd have to go buy more.

I finally gave up and went to a podiatrist. He scanned my feet and made some inserts for my shoes. I can tell a huge difference now. I have two pairs of inserts...one for my dress shoes and one for my sneakers. They are expensive (about $300 a pair), but thank goodness, my insurance covers them and they are well worth it. They last about a year and then I have to go back for more.