Do I have a warm or cool skin tone based on my profile pic?

Options
I've been confused on getting the right make-up shades for me. They say that it should match your skin tone whether its warm or cool but I have no idea in which category do my skin match.

We'll be having an upcoming big event at my work where there will be many VIPs & other bigtime people will attend so I need to look presentable. Since I don't normally wear make-up so I'm not really good on that but now I'm getting worried that if I'm going to buy just the shade I like, I might end up looking like a clown.

I would appreciate your suggestions :)

Replies

• LeeM86
    LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think your skin shade is warm. You look like a middle shade in my opinion. Not pale, but not extremely tanned either. A sand shade would work great for you, if you ask me.

But, as a make up lover, I would advice you to actually go to a store and try the products. They always have testers so you can try their products on your skin and see which one fits you better. Especially if you're going to buy foundation or concealer. It's very important to make it match your skin so it's not too evident.
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Babe I hope this helps... I think you're more of a warm skin tone but pictures are deceiving due to lighting etc...

Vein test - in a natural light, look at the inside of your wrist; if the veins appear greenish this indicates you have yellow undertones and thus would have a warm skin tone. Veins that appear to be more bluish indicate a cool skin tone
    Pony tail test - pull all your hair back away from the face in a pony tail or with a headband and thoroughly cleanse the face. Place a white towel or cloth around your neck and shoulders, if you face looks more yellow this would indicate a warm skin tone, whereas a bluish reflection would mean a cool skin tone.

Silver/Gold test - If you think you look better in gold than silver, this indicates a warm skin tone. People with cool skin tones usually look better in silver. Additionally, you can use a gold and silver cloth for this test, hold a swatch of gold fabric under the chin, does it make you look healthy, ashen or neither. Try the same with silver fabric, what do you see? a bluish hue or yellow undertones?
    Genetic natural color of eyes and hair - As a rule of thumb, normally people with blue, green or grey eyes with blond, black or brown hair have a cool skin tone. Additionally, cool skin tones will have a pink or rosy undertone. Those people with brown, black, or hazel eyes and have black, brown, blond, red, or strawberry blond hair are usually have a warm skin tone and have a golden or apricot undertone. However, there are always exceptions to the rule when trying to deterime your skin tone by the color of your hair and eyes.

If after doing the above tests you are still unable to determine your skin type, you may fall into the neutral skin tone. Neutral skin tones can wear any color and look great, however neutral skin tones may lean towards either warm or cool. For instance, a neutral skin tone can look great in a warm color and fabulous in a cool color or vice a versa.
    So what colors are best for your skin tone? Below is a short summary, again there are always exceptions to the rule.
    Cool Skin Tone - Consider rich, true colors. These would include black, navy, red, shocking pink, rich raspberries, deep emerald greens, royal blue, plums or pure black. Additionally wear icy tones instead of pastels for a lighter color. Cool skin tones should avoid beige, orange and gold.

Warm Skin Tone- Consider earth colors either crisp or muted. Normally those with a warm skin tone look great in sage greens, gold, mochas, and bronzes. For a softer color try peach, apricot yellow.
    Neutral Skin Tone - luckily for you, all colors will look good however, as indicated above most neutral skin tones will sway one way or another, so while a warm color may look great on you a cool color may look fabulous.
    Selecting the right colors based on your skin tone can add so much to your overall appearance. The right color can add sparkle to your overall being and complexion while the wrong color can leave you looking ashen and your complexion washed out.
  • smartmom0818
    Options
    I agree with Lee, you look like a warm. Do you have a Sephora near you or a MAC counter? They will put it on you and show you what you need to pull off any look you want, and at Sephora there's usually not any pressure to buy something just because you tried it on.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I would say warm as well. Regardless, you can never go wrong with natural shades.. plus by the look of your picture, you don't much make up at all. Just enhance your natural beauty!!
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If your skin is pinkish or pink undertones, you have a warm color. If it has yellowish or olive undertones, then it's cool. Your best bet might be to go to a department store with a cosmetics counter and to get a makeover and get a professional opinion. Maybe Mary Kay? Many department stores will do free makeovers and it's a good way to find what fits and how to apply.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Looks warm to me :)
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I say neutral leaning to warm. I held up a purple sheet to your photo, and a yellow sheet to your photo, and both looked good. Cool tones would have looked better in purple, warm would have looked better in yellow. You looked good in both, with yellow looking only marginally better.

I'd definitely go to a Sephora if you have one near you, or one of the better department stores makeup counters.

FitasBarbie really gave the best advice to figure it out on your own, though. :)
  • AYS12
    AYS12 Posts: 11
    Options
    warm :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses everyone. At least now I have an idea which shades I need & also where to buy them :)

I also tried those tests & it just made me even more confused. For the vain test, I see a mixture of blue & green; as for the silver/gold test, I look horrible on gold, yellow & beige colors which is why I don't wear clothes on those colors and neither use gold jewelries, only silver ones. And as for the pony tail test, all I saw was that my face just look darker than the towel & didn't see any yellowish nor bluish shades there.

@hsrossi: aww thank you :)
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If your skin is pinkish or pink undertones, you have a warm color. If it has yellowish or olive undertones, then it's cool. Your best bet might be to go to a department store with a cosmetics counter and to get a makeover and get a professional opinion. Maybe Mary Kay? Many department stores will do free makeovers and it's a good way to find what fits and how to apply.

You have it backwards but you were close! Cool is pinkish undertones. Warm is yellow. But there is also something called neutral which I believe you are, OP. Photos are difficult to go by because lighting and such could be incorrect, but judging by your test results above and your pics I think you have both cool and warm properties in your skin. I am a makeup artist for MAC Cosmeticso and I also do freelance work for weddings, photoshoots and more. I would suggest going to a counter to have your tone perfectly matched. :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There is a MAC near my office as well so I think I'll go there one day. Foundations are especially a major problem to me. I prefer to go there instead as most of the department stores here only base the skin tone if you're fair, medium or tan but not if you're warm or cool toned.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    There is a MAC near my office as well so I think I'll go there one day. Foundations are especially a major problem to me. I prefer to go there instead as most of the department stores here only base the skin tone if you're fair, medium or tan but not if you're warm or cool toned.
    Good idea. i would suggest hat you bring a mirror with you so that you can go outside to see what the foundation looks like on your face in daylight before you buy it. Many times I thought the match was good in store lighting but when I went outside it wasn't the same.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

personally my MAC counter sucks. they are rude and take forever to assist you.

I love sephora. they will match u and even make u a sample to take home. this is very important because u need to see how u look in different lights. inside, outside, take pictures, etc. NEVER, NEVER EVER buy a foundation in store the first time u try it.

I would say you are cool, you look close to my skin tone but like others have said its hard to tell in pictures.

if u dont usually wear make up, try a BB cream. right now i'm using too faced BB cream and i like it. also philosophy tinted moisturizer is good in med-tan.

don't be afraid to ask for samples at sephora and try it on in the comfort of ur own home :)
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a bad experience at MAC. As a SA there who genuinely tries her best to make people leave happy, that upsets me. I would contact MAC directly by email and tell them about your experience. They truly care about their customers and will make sure something is done about it if you were treated wrongly.

Sephora is a nice option if you'd like to try a bunch of different brands from the same location, but be careful... You do not need makeup experience to work there and most of the SAs are not makeup artists. So be sure to double check whatever foundation shade you are matched to before you throw out your receipt.

If you end up going to MAC, their foundation shades are a bit backwards in philosophy. NW means "needs warm, or not warm". Not that you are warm. NC means "needs cool, or not cool". Not that you are cool. Ask to try Studio Sculpt foundation. It's my absolute favorite.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I tend to spend the most money on concealers, foundations, and tinted moisturizers. After that I shell out a bit for my eyeliner pencil and powder. After that, I go cheap. I love to change up my eyeshadow, lip color, blush, bronzer, etc, and so I have a H.U.G.E. makeup collection. I couldn't afford my addiction if I bought all high-end stuff.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, get your foundation professionally matched, get a sample and wear it for a few days, and then spend the money on the good foundation. It's so worth it.

Oh, and take pictures! I wanna see!!!! :bigsmile:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a bad experience at MAC. As a SA there who genuinely tries her best to make people leave happy, that upsets me. I would contact MAC directly by email and tell them about your experience. They truly care about their customers and will make sure something is done about it if you were treated wrongly.

i didnt send them an email because i was that upset about the way I was treated. Their response was a generic, i'm sorry for your bad experience. I'm not sure what else to ask for but I would have expected some comp or some free consulting session to make up for their lack of attention and friendliness to me. I almost had to BEG them to get me a damn powder compact.

Sephora reps at my local store would bend over back wards until I've seen and tried everything in the store and leave happy. even if its just with samples.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Maybe I´m the only one here, but I would say cold. I´m sure you look good in black and blue and raspberry red. Among others. Or a dark full green... And yes, silver jewelry.