no results

Options
It seems like I can't lose any weight, I've tried mixing up my excercise and I really don't eat that much. I play tennis 5 days a week, and run mostly every day. I haven't been keeping track of my calories though, but I eat pretty much the same thing every day so I guess I just didn't see the point. I should probably start counting them again. But you know it's just dissapointing when you work so hard and don't see any results. I don't get why nothings happening :[ I don't know what else to do. Sorry I'm complaining so much it's just so depressing. Anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? If you are playing tennis and running than your burning a lot of calories so you want to make sure to eat enough, you may want to change up what your eating too that could help! Do you strength train? ... this can make a big difference... start tracking again and hopefully you will see a difference :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions?
    Yes. Use the food diary to track your food, and make sure to come as close as possible to eating exactly the number of calories mfp tells you to eat, including your exercise calories. If you track exactly what you're doing, you may see almost immediately what needs to be adjusted. When you say, "I really don't eat that much," it makes me think you probably don't eat enough. I know it's counter-intuitive to eat more to lose weight, but it's often what a person needs to do. At least track what you're doing so you can make deliberate adjustments, not just half guesses. Hope that helps! I really think it will if you do it.

Jill
  • koriebrownie
    koriebrownie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Count the calories!!! It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Even if you just have one bite.
    248210.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • redreamingme
    Options
    Are you eating enough? If you are playing tennis and running than your burning a lot of calories so you want to make sure to eat enough, you may want to change up what your eating too that could help! Do you strength train? ... this can make a big difference... start tracking again and hopefully you will see a difference :happy:

Hm well I guess I'm not sure if I am, it feels like it. But yeh I'll change what I eat, it's usually a vegetarian sandwich every day and cereal. I don't strength train on a regular basis, I'll give that a go too :] thank you for your help
  • redreamingme
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions?
    Yes. Use the food diary to track your food, and make sure to come as close as possible to eating exactly the number of calories mfp tells you to eat, including your exercise calories. If you track exactly what you're doing, you may see almost immediately what needs to be adjusted. When you say, "I really don't eat that much," it makes me think you probably don't eat enough. I know it's counter-intuitive to eat more to lose weight, but it's often what a person needs to do. At least track what you're doing so you can make deliberate adjustments, not just half guesses. Hope that helps! I really think it will if you do it.

Jill

I'll start doing it again, I did lose a lot of weight while I counted them. Yeh that is weird to think I should eat more, I feel guilty if I eat more than I do on a normal basis like I'm doing something wrong. And then I think "what is working out good for if I'm just going to get the calories back from food". Thanks so much for your help I hope tracking them works :] It makes me feel better now that I'm going to start tracking them again.
  • redreamingme
    Options
    Count the calories!!! It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Even if you just have one bite.
    248210.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Do you count them as you go? Or at the end of the day?
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've tried this before or not but measuring your food really helps a great deal. I keep my measuring spoons handy at every meal lately & I just bought a food scale. It might sound wierd but for a while I was eyeballing my portions and there was s big difference when I started measuring again. Keeps me accountable for what I'm putting in my mouth, even if I want to cheat and have a little more of something I measure so I know exactly how much in the hole i'm putting myself.
    Keep it up, you'll get past this little hiccup before you know it! :flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There several studies showing the exercise alone doesn't lead to long-term weight loss. You have to also count your calories and make sure you are restricting them. Without that missing piece, your body sends you signals to eat more to cancel out the exercise.
  • redreamingme
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've tried this before or not but measuring your food really helps a great deal. I keep my measuring spoons handy at every meal lately & I just bought a food scale. It might sound wierd but for a while I was eyeballing my portions and there was s big difference when I started measuring again. Keeps me accountable for what I'm putting in my mouth, even if I want to cheat and have a little more of something I measure so I know exactly how much in the hole i'm putting myself.
    Keep it up, you'll get past this little hiccup before you know it! :flowerforyou:

So for the portions on the back of food, just go by exactly what it says? Sorry I haven't really heard too much about food measuring.
  • redreamingme
    Options
    There several studies showing the exercise alone doesn't lead to long-term weight loss. You have to also count your calories and make sure you are restricting them. Without that missing piece, your body sends you signals to eat more to cancel out the exercise.

I still don't understand why you would want to cancel out the exercise but if that's what works I'll go with it :] Thank you for your help
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    These two posts may help you understand why it is important to eat your exercise calories - I've seen them referred to in other posts.

Hope they help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Hm well I guess I'm not sure if I am, it feels like it. But yeh I'll change what I eat, it's usually a vegetarian sandwich every day and cereal. I don't strength train on a regular basis, I'll give that a go too :] thank you for your help

you must eat your calories! If you are eating too less your body will go into starvation mode and will start to store up what you eat as fat. I know you have heard it from everyone else but if you want results you have to play by the rules. Good Luck!
  • redreamingme
    Options
    These two posts may help you understand why it is important to eat your exercise calories - I've seen them referred to in other posts.

Hope they help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Thanks so much :] those are quite helpful
  • redreamingme
    Options

you must eat your calories! If you are eating too less your body will go into starvation mode and will start to store up what you eat as fat. I know you have heard it from everyone else but if you want results you have to play by the rules. Good Luck!

Yeh :/ it's so hard to but I will do my best. Thank you, and good luck to you too!
  • miaangel345
    Options
    Anyone have suggestions?

Jill

I'll start doing it again, I did lose a lot of weight while I counted them. Yeh that is weird to think I should eat more, I feel guilty if I eat more than I do on a normal basis like I'm doing something wrong. And then I think "what is working out good for if I'm just going to get the calories back from food". Thanks so much for your help I hope tracking them works :] It makes me feel better now that I'm going to start tracking them again.

Don't feel guilty! If you're playing tennis and running everyday you of course need to eat more lean protein and less saturated fat. Sometimes more = less if that makes sense!

Good luck to you on ur journey :smile:
  • lose100
    lose100 Posts: 54
    Options
    Just a little thought too...... Remember, the scale isn't always the most accurate at seeing your success. You can lose inches without dropping pounds, so taking measurements can be a great tool! Keep your chin up!

Mandi
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options

I still don't understand why you would want to cancel out the exercise but if that's what works I'll go with it :] Thank you for your help
    WARNING: Opinionated reply ahead. :tongue:

It's not your fault. We've all been told that you can't lose weight without exercising. That's not true, but a lot of people still believe it (and many so-called "experts" still promote that thinking). Very simply: To gain weight, eat more calories than you burn. To lose weight, eat fewer calories than you burn. To maintain weight, eat the same number of calories that you burn. You can very safely lose a pound a week by eating 500 calories/day less than what you burn. You can do this with zero exercise or lots of exercise. I am not suggesting exercise isn't good for you. I am a huge proponent of working out for health and fitness. Just know that the more exercise you do, the more you get to eat — and you will still lose a pound a week with a 500-calorie deficit. There are also oodles of health benefits from working out, so go for it! But remember you need to fuel your body for what it does if you want it to be happy and healthy (and lean).

Start by calculating your goals and then tracking what you do. It works! Good luck. :flowerforyou:

Jill
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Another technique to avoid the dreaded "Plateau" of weight loss ( as NO loss) in addition to all the other things that have been posted, is to "zig zag" your calories. Google it for more detailed explanations, but for myself, about once every 3 -4 weeks I will have a day where I eat 800 to 1000 calories more than I would eat "normally" You might go up a lb. the day after, but it keeps your body from assuming it has to be more efficient and hold on to all the calories it can, hence slowing your metabolism. In another couple of days, assuming you are keeping to your routine of eating within the calorie limits, not overdoing sodium and carrying on w/your exercise routine, you should see a drop on the scale again.

It has worked for me since I started this process in April. I eat ANYTHING I want, just less of it. I haven't lost as fast as I probably could have by being more limiting, but I am not ready to eat everything in sight due to deprivation, and I haven't yo yo'd since I started.

Good luck!!
  • koriebrownie
    koriebrownie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just saw this question...
    I count them all day! If you don't you will probably underestimate.. and them over eat.
  • twilight1542
    Options

If all your eating is 1 sandwich & 1 bowl of cereal all day then you ear eating way too little & your body is in starvation mode...I'm guessing your eating maybe 600 cals per day & the recommended minimum for a woman is 1200 cals without accounting for calories butned through exercise.

I eat 1200 + at least 1/2 my exercise calories & have lost 53lbs in 5 months :) EAT MORE!