need help with at home exercise

Options
Shepock
Shepock Posts: 16 Member
I need to know what kind of exercises can I do at home during my free time to help tone everything . My big issues is my stomach and saddlebags. I only have rubber band tubes and a treadmill that I have to work out with. I also have a few Zumba work out videos also that I use also. I have lost a few pant sizes. but I'm at a stand still for a while.. I don't have a lot of time to offer every day. about an hour a day for fitness.. as I work full time during the days and go to school full time in the evenings. In between that time i'm a mom and a wife.. any ideas on how i can use house hold items to help me achieve my goal I would be grateful.

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    If you cannot get free weights, you should do body weight exercises such as push ups, tricep dips, squats, and lunges. I am sure there are others, but I use dumbells for my workouts, so I can't say.
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Shepock!

I have the same kind of problem, working out at home, busy schedle, what do you do? The main thing I'm focusing on is weightlifting and cardio. I do weight lifting monday, wednesday and fridays, cardio on tuesday, thursday and the weekend for about 20 min. All I'm using are 2 10lb dumbells or if you have resistance bands (maybe that's what your rubber band tubes are? I'm not too sure) they can be used too. House items I have used in the past when I didnt have dumbells were two large water bottles filled with water. They worked but as my strength grew I had to just get some dumbells.

To change things up a bit I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. So far it's been really challenging and fun! Plus, you can watch it right on Youtube! Just search 30 Day Shred level 1. Her routine really takes only about 25 minutes or so. Another place I go for at home workouts is this website: www.scoobysworkshop.com. He has all this great info, workout routines...great stuff and its all free! He really advocates getting strong and healthy without dropping tons of money. I really recommend checking his website out! :) Definitely motivated me to lose weight and get healthy.

Hope this helps a little :)
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises....they require no equipment but they work wonders when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. I know how it is to be busy. I work fulltime, mom to two toddlers and a wife. I still manage to squeeze it in, and no you don't need a hour or more to workout to see results. I usually push for min. 30 minutes a day to workout and that works fine, provided your coupling it with good eating habits and lots of water. I went from 242lbs in January to 157 lbs now just from hiit cardio/body weight circuits and making wise food choices. There is TONS of body weight exercises out there so you should be able to come up with some amazing circuits.

As a example....One I put together for this week:
    50 Jumping Jacks
    40 High Knees
    30 Jump Squats
    20 Leg Lifts
    10 Burpees w/pushups
    Complete the circuit 3-5 times.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like the Jillian Michaels DVDs. She kicks your *kitten*.

Just keep in mind that you can't spot reduce. My stomach annoys me, too, but your body will take fat where it feels like it no matter how hard you work a given area.
  • cavegirl2
    cavegirl2 Posts: 1
    Options
    50 Jumping Jacks
    40 High Knees
    30 Jump Squats
    20 Leg Lifts
    10 Burpees w/pushups

i am going to try this!
  • vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I specifically schedule in my time to workout, it gets done. That being said, I invested in Power 90 by Tony Horton. It's broken up into sculpting and cardio/abs. I do sculpting 3 days a week (which it's about a 28 minute workout) and cardio/abs 3 days a week (about 45 minutes). I alternate days, and for the extra push that I need, I have implemented C25K on the Sculpting days.
    Someone else posted about Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, and I had originally started with this one, and I got some really good results. I had researched Tony Horton, and found the Power 90 to be more in the "zone" for what I needed.
    You might also want to check out via a google search the "squats challenge" and even the "stomach crunch challenge" and "push up challenge". I believe it has a chart that you can follow to increase the number of each move...so you can increase the numbers daily or weekly, and should help you achieve your toning goals! Best wishes!!!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest the same regarding the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred! I also just watch it on youtube for free. The "BeFit" youtube channel has that one, more Jillian Michaels, and some other at-home fitness videos.

You may need to start with lighter weights, but 3 or 5 lb dumbells are fairly cheap to pick up at a sporting goods store (shouldn't be more than ~$1/lb).

Hi Shepock!

I have the same kind of problem, working out at home, busy schedle, what do you do? The main thing I'm focusing on is weightlifting and cardio. I do weight lifting monday, wednesday and fridays, cardio on tuesday, thursday and the weekend for about 20 min. All I'm using are 2 10lb dumbells or if you have resistance bands (maybe that's what your rubber band tubes are? I'm not too sure) they can be used too. House items I have used in the past when I didnt have dumbells were two large water bottles filled with water. They worked but as my strength grew I had to just get some dumbells.

To change things up a bit I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. So far it's been really challenging and fun! Plus, you can watch it right on Youtube! Just search 30 Day Shred level 1. Her routine really takes only about 25 minutes or so. Another place I go for at home workouts is this website: www.scoobysworkshop.com. He has all this great info, workout routines...great stuff and its all free! He really advocates getting strong and healthy without dropping tons of money. I really recommend checking his website out! :) Definitely motivated me to lose weight and get healthy.

Hope this helps a little :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree on the calesthenics. I have no money to buy fancy equipment, but have been getting a great work-out with jumping jacks and push-ups, as well as "fake" jump roping and jogging/walking in place. It's a routine that I can do in my bedroom, or take with me anywhere I need.
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here's another quick workout that doesn't need special equipment and it really kicks my behind. I usually burn about 200 cals according to my HRM.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/11/11639950-jenna-wolfe-kicks-natalie-moraless-butt-with-a-10-minute-workout?lite
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do squats every time I'm washing dishes, folding laundry. Anything where I'm standing in one place for awhile.

I also lift my leg straight out and alternate while sitting on the couch watching tv. Even when I'm waiting in the dr office waiting room, or waiting for a bus...any time I'm sitting I alternate holding my leg out for a second. It burns the top front of the leg, but that means it's working
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    body weight workouts / calisthenics work wonders if u can't or don't care to buy a bunch of dvds/equipment~ my legs are still dying from my first round of 200 squats! I dance n swim for fun cardio. I have 5 lb weights that I dance with(the only peice of fitness equipment I have is my 5lb weights and a mat) there's lots of videos on you tube for exercises n lots of pages on FB that occasionally post new workouts. Good luck!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Body weight exercises....they require no equipment but they work wonders when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. I know how it is to be busy. I work fulltime, mom to two toddlers and a wife. I still manage to squeeze it in, and no you don't need a hour or more to workout to see results. I usually push for min. 30 minutes a day to workout and that works fine, provided your coupling it with good eating habits and lots of water. I went from 242lbs in January to 157 lbs now just from hiit cardio/body weight circuits and making wise food choices. There is TONS of body weight exercises out there so you should be able to come up with some amazing circuits.

50 Jumping Jacks
    40 High Knees
    30 Jump Squats
    20 Leg Lifts
    10 Burpees w/pushups

^^ She knows what's up. Calisthenics is all you need