Potassium

Options
nathan72
nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
Anyone hit their RDA of Potassium on a daily basis? If so, how? Thanks.

Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Potassium is the BANE of my daily diary...I do manage to get darn close ( my goal is 3000/day) many days...I eat sweet potatoes a lot ( they have a fair amount of potassium), of course bananas are pretty good. Beets, cantelope, beans and tomatoes are good sources too.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I munch on dried apricots throughout the day. Helps with my leg cramps at night, too.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Lots of potatoes, broc, tomato products and OJ
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Potassium is the BANE of my daily diary...

MINE TOO!

I try though!

V8 packs a powerful potassium punch too.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Pork, bananas, apples, peaches... really, whatever I can find!

Also, remember that a lot of foods in the database don't have Potassium listed because it's hardly on nutrition labels and such... you may be much higher than what you think! Good luck! :drinker:
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    The Campbell's Select Harvest Healthy Choice soups have a lot of Potassium and far far far less sodium.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I do. Melons, bananas, atkins shakes have almost 1,000mg. I'm not on Atkins, but their shakes have a ton of potassium. I use them as part of a recovery drink.
  • nathan72
    Options
    thanks! i haven't tried the apricots....
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    One strategy I've found is just to make sure any of the foods you can't scan actually list potassium on MFP.

It gets neglected on a lot of food labels.

I hit the goal everyday and you're welcome to browse through my diary.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't believe how much potassium is in the foods you're already eating. The FDA doesn't mandate putting potassium on nutrition labels (which sucks) but some companies are starting to. I'll either get foods that I know have the potassium listed or I'll do a separate search.

I gather you're already getting pretty close or at the RDA. I've read that as long as your potassium amount is in line with your sodium amount, you're in great shape. :)
  • nathan72
    Options
    Pork, bananas, apples, peaches... really, whatever I can find!

Also, remember that a lot of foods in the database don't have Potassium listed because it's hardly on nutrition labels and such... you may be much higher than what you think! Good luck! :drinker:
    This is a great point...i'm probably getting more than i know
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I don't often track it, but I know that coconut water has a lot. Maybe make a protein shake using whey, coconut water and a banana! (maybe pineapple too?)
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have issues with potassium too.... and I am allergic to bananas, so that doesn't help! I was wondering if I could supplement?
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I hit mine almost every day and I have it set at 4,500 mg. V8 low sodium hot and spicy has 1000 mg per 8 ounces and I have 16 ounces of that every day. Also, dried apricots, avocados, bananas, most fruits and vegetables are rich. As someone else said, MANY of the database entries don't include potassium. This is very frustrating.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 4700mg (daily recommended) and I hit real close. Low Sodium V8 helps a lot!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    You wouldn't believe how much potassium is in the foods you're already eating. The FDA doesn't mandate putting potassium on nutrition labels (which sucks) but some companies are starting to. I'll either get foods that I know have the potassium listed or I'll do a separate search.

I gather you're already getting pretty close or at the RDA. I've read that as long as your potassium amount is in line with your sodium amount, you're in great shape. :)

If by 'in line' you mean that your potassium intake should roughly double your sodium intake, then you are correct. :) Google it. The information is out there. Sodium and potassium together work as a cellular 'pump' to help flush out toxins and maintain proper body fluid ratios (including blood pressure), and the pump takes 2 potassium ions to each ion of sodium.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Anyone hit their RDA of Potassium on a daily basis? If so, how? Thanks.

Yes, I do. I used to think I didn't but then I realized that it's just because most people don't enter the potassium contained in foods into the database. For a while I took the time to look all the foods up, then I realized I was rarely under so I stopped tracking it.

Cooked tomato products have a lot of potassium. One 11.5 oz (340 ml) can of V8 has nearly 1200 mg. Orange juice, beans, many greens and lettuces, bananas, sweet potatoes, are pretty good sources.

Here is a link to a list of foods with potassium.
    https://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12354500/Data/SR24/nutrlist/sr24w306.pdf
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I do this by actually eating food.

If you're short you can cheat with some

Wait for it....

wait....

Misc-0961-e1299643057523-225x300.jpg

Black strap Molasses
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8 Juice
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have issues with potassium too.... and I am allergic to bananas, so that doesn't help! I was wondering if I could supplement?

You definitely can! I take a daily potassium supplement of a tiny bit over 2000mg. My urologist prescribes it to regulate the acidity of my urine and prevent kidney stones.