What is too much protien?

Options
I'm new and just started tracking a couple of days ago. I had lost about 16 lbs on my own before starting with MFP and am excited to have already lost a lb and a half with it.

I always thought I didn't get enough protein. Yesterday, I got 80 (I'm assuming grams?). Most of it was from a little cubed grilled chicken and a hamburger patty. I also had string cheese, yogurt, oatmeal and a few other things that had small amounts. MFP gives me a goal of 35.

I'm just wondering, is it a big deal that I had that much (80)? I'm assuming not but just want to be sure since it was more than double. I know part of a many people's weight loss is high protein. Is the MFP goal for protein really just a minimum?

Thanks for any insight.

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    IMO the protein goal is almost a BARE minimum.

Yeah, you're fine at 80. I eat 220-320/day myself, but I also run and strength train several days per week.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Going over in protein is good. I usually eat over 200 gms a day.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb is 1 gm protein/lb lean body mass. At 80, you're going to be just fine. Unless you have kidney problems.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I average 100-150 in protein daily. I don't believe there is too much for my own personal experience. The more protein I eat/drink the better results I get. I too work out 5+ days a week with 30 minutes+ cardio/30 minutes strength training.
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    80 is perfect; that's what I get most days - and I don't eat a ton of meat!

for those of you getting over 100, how do you do it w/o protein powder???? I try to eat as clean as I can and get close to 80 or sometimes 100, but 150? Crazy!
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was about to ask the same thing, til I saw this thread. I'm just starting out (2 weeks now), and at least twice I've been under in my fat & calorie allowances but over in protien...and the red font at the bottom looked bad but I kept thinking how is high protien/low fat a bad thing? Is there a certain amount of protien that IS too much to be healthy? I mean, I'm not a caveman - i'm not going to go out and eat a whole cow or something, I just tend to eat more protiens, especially when I'm working so hard to limit the kind of carbs I take in.