Burger...do I have to use breadcrumbs and yolk?

Options
2»

Replies

• drussell5557
    Options
    Good idea! (I usually don't use anything) The egg boosts the protein content. I'll try it!
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I pour chicken stock over mine and bake them in muffin tins. I don't use egg or breadcrumbs, and I mix fresh parsley, spinach and onion in them. They come out really juicy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to mash with the meat? Egg, a few (1/4 cup?) crumbled tortilla chips (good for those busted up shards in the bottom of the bag), a little bit of salsa, some cilantro, a few diced jalapeno slices, and black beans. Holy yum, with extra fiber.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Good idea! (I usually don't use anything) The egg boosts the protein content. I'll try it!

Erm... Adding more meat would boost protein content?
  • Crisred
    Crisred Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't put anything additional in. One way to reduce the crumbling is to make them tighter by tossing back and forth between your hands with a bit of force,as you are shaping them. Also, try to seer the outside a bit at first then reduce the heat and cook a little slower to finish the inside. Tasty with some cheddar cheese and avocado on top!
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use the super lean (99% fat free) and then mix it with garlic powder, pepper, and about a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce per burger. I brush it with a little bit of olive oil (just enough so it won't stick) and then cook it in my George Foreman grill.
    Super yummy with a slice of pineapple over it and served on a bun.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time!! I add in greek yogurt. You do NOT taste it, but it keeps it really moist and helps bind the meat together. I just add a dollop to about half a pound, I don't really measure it. It also adds protein and a very minimal amount of carbs. It comes out great! Just add whatever seasoning you want and voila.

Can I also suggest, if you have the time, to mix everything together and then let it sit for a few hours. With turkey meat, this really increases the flavour as the turkey soaks up the seasoning. Just tastes less turkey-ish IMO.
  • Djwilson83
    Options
    I see a lot of references to breadcrumbs as a binder but this is simply false. Yolk is a binder as when it is either cook or set at room temperature it solidifies as a (sort of) food glue. Breadcrumbs on the other hand do quite the opposite as in it helps to add separation between food particles such as meet and veggies. To put it simply; bread is used for texture to make foods such as meatloaf fall apart more easily. A meatloaf without breadcrumbs (or rice) is simply a square burger.
  • Djwilson83
    Options
    if you are honestly looking to stay lean, avoid sugar at all costs. Look at the ingredients of all condiments such as ketchup & teriyaki and make sure it does not contain any kind of syrup. Sugar in any form will spike your insulin levels and cause you to store fat. If you were to go without any form of sugar for a period of 72 hours your body would go into a state of ketosis in which it would start to drop fat rapidly. This may seem weird to a lot of people but just think about it. Most people are accustomed to eating food out of a bag, bottle or box. This is not the way were are supposed to live. The reason that food is so affordable is because it is made in a lab. Eat natural and you will be ahead of the game.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to make some turkey burgers tonight preferably low carb. I keep seeing recipes that suggest using breadcrumbs to help bind it together and some saying to use whole egg, egg white or yolk? Will not using breadcrumb work and what part of the egg do I use?

You can always try oatmeal. We've usually used whole eggs (but that is personal preference). I've heard that egg whiites freeze well, but I've never tried it.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    when i make them i use eggs and bread crumbs so they dont fall apart... but if i get them from the butcher they dont have anything... just the meat.