95% of Americans have Gluten Sensitivity & causes wt gain.

Options

Replies

• raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    anything not "natural" is going to cause sensitivity to your body.

As for this article...if you read it and believe it 100%, I have some beachfront property for you

Yup!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say 95% have it, it says 95% that have it go undiagnosed. That is very different.

I am a nurse and just did a report on Celiac. Yes, this is different than 95% of the population. Many people can have Celiac Disease, but go undiagnosed because they don't have the symptoms. From my report:

Nearly one out of every 133 Americans suffer from Celiac disease
    May affect 3 million Americans
    For every recognized case of Celiac disease, eight more remain undiagnosed
    Celiac disease is twice as common as Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and Cystic Fibrosis combined

There are also plenty of people that are mis-diagnosed. The symptoms of Celiac are often passed off as IBS since the symptoms are so close.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Gluten sensitivity is grossly over exaggerated. Just like ADD and Autism

Thanks, Doctor! May I ask for your credentials that qualify you to make such a sweeping statement?

Edit: I noticed this disclaimer: Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those "gluten sensitive" people. I was only sick for a couple of years, but at near the end, as its worst, before I gave up gluten, I was overweight (for the first time in my life) because my body was always hungry, no matter how much I ate. Oh, and I was in constant pain. It felt like a small animal was trying to claw it's way out of my stomach, I was constantly fatigued, exhausted, my BMs were all diarrhea, and so urgent I actually *kitten* my pants at work one time* yea that was great. Oh, and the rectal bleeding. That was super de duper fun.

Every single symptom stopped within days when I cut out gluten.

So, you can take your unfounded assumptions about "exaggeration" and shove 'em up your *kitten*.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say 95% have it, it says 95% that have it go undiagnosed. That is very different.

And if it goes undiagnosed, how did they extrapolate to get their estimate to 95%?

It sounds pretty dubious to me.
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options

Sometimes it is best to just not say anything at all, especially when you're about to piss some parents off who have to manage even one of the above issues on a daily basis with their children. :flowerforyou:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Not my post, but here is one source:

http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_007937.pdf

Celiac disease is twice as common as Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and Cystic Fibrosis combined

What are you sources for this data? I work with a lot of nurses, so it's going to take more than "I'm a nurse" to make your post believable to me.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Sometimes it is best to just not say anything at all, especially when you're about to piss some parents off who have to manage even one of the above issues on a daily basis with their children. :flowerforyou:

Right! Basically, both Celiac and gluten sensitivity are VERY common, and it hurts NO-ONE to be tested and rule them out. Thereby eliminating the need to debate the issue ad nauseum, and saving oneself and one's children from potential health issues and risks down the road. If you happen to be free from said food allergies, or any others, lucky you...and kindly refrain from offensive comment.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What are you sources for this data? I work with a lot of nurses, so it's going to take more than "I'm a nurse" to make your post believable to me.
    Not my post, but here is one source:

http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_007937.pdf

Thanks, had to do some digging from that article but did finally find one study with results 1:133 with celiac (out of the 13,000 participants).

Even if you take the number of undiagnosed cases from the one study as true universally, the prevalence is still not that great. .75 % is pretty low. That's less than the number of people with tree nut allergies.
  • AimeeZingLife
    AimeeZingLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between Celiac's disease and gluten sensitivity/allergy. 95% of people don't have Celiac's disease but have some time of gluten sensitivity.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    http://www.dovepress.com/getfile.php?fileID=13214

Abstract: A novel hypothesis of obesity is suggested by consideration of diet-related inflammation and evolutionary medicine. The obese homeostatically guard their elevated weight. In rodent models of high-fat diet-induced obesity, leptin resistance is seen initially at vagal afferents, blunting the actions of satiety mediators, then centrally, with gastrointestinal bacterial-triggered SOCS3 signaling implicated. In humans, dietary fat and fructose elevate systemic lipopolysaccharide, while dietary glucose also strongly activates SOCS3 signaling. Crucially however, in humans, low-carbohydrate diets spontaneously decrease weight in a way that low-fat diets do not. Furthermore, nutrition transition patterns and the health of those still eating diverse ancestral diets with abundant food suggest that neither glycemic index, altered fat, nor carbohydrate intake can be intrinsic causes of obesity, and that human energy homeostasis functions well without Westernized foods containing flours, sugar, and refined fats. Due to being made up of cells, virtually all “ancestral foods” have markedly lower carbohydrate densities than flour- and sugar-containing foods, a property quite independent of glycemic index. Thus the “forgotten organ” of the gastrointestinal microbiota is a prime candidate to be influenced by evolutionarily unprecedented postprandial luminal carbohydrate concentrations. The present hypothesis suggests that in parallel with the bacterial effects of sugars on dental and periodontal health, acellular flours, sugars, and processed foods produce an inflammatory microbiota via the upper gastrointestinal tract, with fat able to effect a “double hit” by increasing systemic absorption of lipopolysaccharide. This model is consistent with a broad spectrum of reported dietary phenomena. A diet of grain-free whole foods with carbohydrate from cellular tubers, leaves, and fruits may produce a gastrointestinal microbiota consistent with our evolutionary condition, potentially explaining the exceptional macronutrient-independent metabolic health of non-Westernized populations, and the apparent efficacy of the modern “Paleolithic” diet on satiety and metabolism.
  • phxJames
    phxJames Posts: 20
    Options
    There is a difference between Celiac's disease and gluten sensitivity/allergy. 95% of people don't have Celiac's disease but have some time of gluten sensitivity.

There's an important diagnostic difference between an "allergy" and "sensitivity". What's your evidence that 95% of the population has either, let alone "sensitivity"?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Cite your source if you're going to make such a ridiculous claim.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have celiac's and was fat before I found out and haven't lost a pound since I went gluten free over a year ago. Go figure by this logic.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The Gluten-Free Industry is a $6 billion dollar market and growing. Just something to think about.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading Wheat Belly. Excellent book.

I gave up gluten about ten weeks ago. I was taking motrin (joint pain), protonix (acid reflux), proventil and flovent (asthma), singulair (allergies), neurontin (nerve burning and neuralgial headaches), and synthroid (hypothyroidism).

Now I only take the synthroid and that is at a lower dose!!!!

If I had known what I know today about gluten, I would have given it up years ago.

The problem is that when wheat is hybridized, it combines the number of genes. Compare that to humans, where the infant takes on some characteristics of each parent. Wheat takes on all the characteristics of each parent.

Over the years, as Einkorn wheat was hybridized and the result of that hybridization hybridized and so on, the amount of gluten in wheat has practically quadrupled. This is why we have people with Celiac disease, gluten allergies, and gluten sensitivity.

Now, I believe that those with gluten sensitivity actually have gluten allergies. It is just the first step toward the allergy. Further exposure will push the person toward an allergy, so let's call it what it really is - gluten allergy.

Celiac is known for the characteristic digestive issues, but they are finding that there may be people who are not affected digestive-wise. They may have issues with allergies, headaches, migraines, joint pain, nerve issues, urinary incontinence, etc. I am of the feeling that these things should also be called Celiac Disease because the problems are being caused by gluten in the diet.

The reason why people with gluten issues gain weight is quite simple - their body is starving because of the damage to the digestive system and other systems, causing the metabolism to slow down and the body to hold on to all it can as far as energy reserves. This should sound familiar to those here at MFP - it is just like starvation mode. The slower metabolism and holding on to energy reserves (fat) means that the person can be overweight and still have gluten issues.

I find it interesting that the further out I go with staying away from gluten, the smaller a dose of synthroid I have to take. I will say that the joint pain, tender abdomen, bloating, and indigestion went away within three days. The asthma and allergy issues got better within three weeks. The nerve issues took about six weeks. I am happy, though, for all these improvement.

If anyone is on multiple medications, I would recommend that you try a gluten-free diet for at least six to eight weeks and see how you feel. It may help and it may not help. You will not know until you try.

I was told over and over and over that everything that was wrong with me was because I was overweight. That all my health problems were a symptom of being fat and not that being fat was a symptom of an underlying health issue. Celiacs and a gluten intolerance were one of the things doctors swore I couldn't have cause I was gaining and NOT losing. I finally found a wonderful family practioner that helped me and I'm slowly cutting gluten out of my diet and have been trying to eat clean and in the process I have lost 25 lbs.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The Gluten-Free Industry is a $6 billion dollar market and growing. Just something to think about.

I buy gluten free dog food for my dog.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    In before the ludicrous unsubstantiated claims!

Oh :<
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading Wheat Belly. Excellent book.

I gave up gluten about ten weeks ago. I was taking motrin (joint pain), protonix (acid reflux), proventil and flovent (asthma), singulair (allergies), neurontin (nerve burning and neuralgial headaches), and synthroid (hypothyroidism).

Now I only take the synthroid and that is at a lower dose!!!!

If I had known what I know today about gluten, I would have given it up years ago.

The problem is that when wheat is hybridized, it combines the number of genes. Compare that to humans, where the infant takes on some characteristics of each parent. Wheat takes on all the characteristics of each parent.

Over the years, as Einkorn wheat was hybridized and the result of that hybridization hybridized and so on, the amount of gluten in wheat has practically quadrupled. This is why we have people with Celiac disease, gluten allergies, and gluten sensitivity.

Now, I believe that those with gluten sensitivity actually have gluten allergies. It is just the first step toward the allergy. Further exposure will push the person toward an allergy, so let's call it what it really is - gluten allergy.

Celiac is known for the characteristic digestive issues, but they are finding that there may be people who are not affected digestive-wise. They may have issues with allergies, headaches, migraines, joint pain, nerve issues, urinary incontinence, etc. I am of the feeling that these things should also be called Celiac Disease because the problems are being caused by gluten in the diet.

The reason why people with gluten issues gain weight is quite simple - their body is starving because of the damage to the digestive system and other systems, causing the metabolism to slow down and the body to hold on to all it can as far as energy reserves. This should sound familiar to those here at MFP - it is just like starvation mode. The slower metabolism and holding on to energy reserves (fat) means that the person can be overweight and still have gluten issues.

I find it interesting that the further out I go with staying away from gluten, the smaller a dose of synthroid I have to take. I will say that the joint pain, tender abdomen, bloating, and indigestion went away within three days. The asthma and allergy issues got better within three weeks. The nerve issues took about six weeks. I am happy, though, for all these improvement.

If anyone is on multiple medications, I would recommend that you try a gluten-free diet for at least six to eight weeks and see how you feel. It may help and it may not help. You will not know until you try.

I was told over and over and over that everything that was wrong with me was because I was overweight. That all my health problems were a symptom of being fat and not that being fat was a symptom of an underlying health issue. Celiacs and a gluten intolerance were one of the things doctors swore I couldn't have cause I was gaining and NOT losing. I finally found a wonderful family practioner that helped me and I'm slowly cutting gluten out of my diet and have been trying to eat clean and in the process I have lost 25 lbs.

Quick question, what were you eating prior to making those gluten changes to your diet?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Without going to a doctor how would you know if you have a gluten intolerance or, as so many people are to some degree or another based on the article, is it best to assume you are and cut out gluten altogether? The thing that would concern me is that I am a vegetarian and get a lot of my protein from wheat gluten. Also, if you cut out gluten altogether but then accidently have some, would you have a more violent reaction than before to it? Sort of like if a vegetarian decides to eat meat again their body has not been producing the enzyme to properly digest it?