What do you eat to fuel / recover from your workout?

Options
Jesstruhan
Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
I'm exercising more in the AM and finding that I am STARVING immediately after. If I don't eat enough I over-eat at lunch because I'm still really hungry.

What do you eat after a good workout to keep the body happy? High protein? Eggs? Oatmeal? HELP!

Replies

• bethanne60
    bethanne60 Posts: 18
    Options
    I try to eat something high in protein... protein shake is my usual go to! If I don't have that I will eat a banana and then some greek yogurt... hope that helps!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes! These are great ideas. I'll keep them handy. There is a Jamba Juice on the way to work from my gym so I can get a fresh protein shake!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If I need a snack, I usually have a Horizon's organic low fat chocolate milk. Yummy!
  • sunsetchoreo25
    Options
    Breakfast: Almost always have Quaker's Weight Control Instant Oatmeal, I add some blueberries and have a small glass of Orange Juice. But if I'm in the mood for eggs, there's nothing that keeps me more full than an egg sandwich (with bacon because your body needs fats too) on multigrain bread! :)

If you don't like egg sandwiches, my personal favorite thing to do with eggs is make an egg, (WHOLE egg because you lose a lot of nutrients if you're only having egg whites) spinach and tomato omelette, and I often add low fat or low sodium feta cheese. I'm also addicted to feta...so I get it when I can! haha :)

If my body is craving a snack, I love Emerald Cocoa Dark Chocolate Almonds, they come in 100 cal packs and they're awesome! This also helps me satisfy my sweet cravings :) and post workout I have a protein/coffee shake that I make with coffee grounds, silk vanilla soy milk, ice, and my chocolate Body Fortress Whey Protein powder :)

Hope it helps! xoxox
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk :drinker:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Typically dinner. But in your case, I would say breakfast.
  • CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Protein! I definitely go for my protein shakes
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    tons of water. then a shower. then if im still hungry some raw veg. cucumber/carrot sticks usually. or if im ravaged a smoothie. i love green smoothies <3
  • lmeslie
    lmeslie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I combine vanilla flavored whey protein powder, 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and some berries together for a protein shake. Tons of protein and very filling! Whey protein is great for your muscles after a workout, too. The whole shake has around 150 calories!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    banana, peanutbutter, elite recoup and a protein shake with real milk some times all in one cup

I exercise at 5am I have this about 630
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I workout in the morning also I cant eat before so after I have bowl muesli/milk or porridge /honey banana blueberries and Tea.I eat every 3 hours anyway cant do long breaks
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been working out with a personal trainer for 3 months and he demands I eat protein before I come work out and within an hour after I finish working out with him. He suggests 4 eggs, protein shake, peanut or almond butter on english muffin (Thomas lite is what I use), been using Chicken fijatas from Sam's, a can of tuna (drained = 1/2 c). He swears without enough protein I will not get as good a workout, I have got faint before which he said is a problem also. And after the workout, he says the protein helps your body recover and I will not be near as sore by eating above proteins. Hope this helps.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I also workout bright and early in the mornings.

The FIRST thing I do, before I do my workout, is to get something in my stomach. Something small, usually a granola bar. And some water. Then I do my workout.

As soon as I'm done with my workout, I make my breakfast. It almost always contains some variation on the following themes:
    1) Eggs and/or egg substitutes
    2) Whole grain bread of some sort
    3) Veggies. Usually salsa, with frozen veggies mixed in. Spinach, peppers, peas, all great reheated in salsa.
    4) Leftovers - in particular, leftover proteins or veggies.

I can eat anywhere from 500 - 900 calories before 10AM, and still be under my calorie goal that night. If I don't do this, I eat like it's nobody's business all afternoon and night, and by bedtime I'm hundreds of calories over.
  • Colleen_G
    Colleen_G Posts: 57
    Options
    If I need a snack, I usually have a Horizon's organic low fat chocolate milk. Yummy!

^this...and this is directly AFTER my workout. I have breakfast about 30-60 minutes later.

It has the right carb to protein ratio to help your body recover.

I also make sure to have a small something 30-45min before working out...a protein shake or an apple with some peanut butter.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk :drinker:

^^ this. Followed by eating everything in site.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning so I'll have some muesli or other type of cereal when I get to work at 7am and then maybe a piece of fruit about an hour after that.

I've actually found that if I eat breakfast any earlier than 7 ish then I feel like i need to snack more, but having breakfast about 7 ish now it keeps me going until 1pm when I have lunch!
  • holisticvibrancy
    Options
    Try coconut water with a vegan protein powder like pea or hemp protein (organic).Coconut water has minerals which help replenish your electrolytes and also contains a natural sugar. Hemp and pea protein are easily digestible and are less likely to be allergenic. It's a myth that chocolate milk is the ideal post workout drink. The sugar in chocolate milk is not ideal for absorption (lactose) and refined sugar and the protein is not as easily absorbed (casein). The study that is often cited supporting choclolate milk as a recovery drink was actually funded by the National Dairy Council. It compared chocolate milk to sports drinks for optimal muscle repair and recovery. Since sports drinks contain no protein, artificial colors, flavors and often high fructose corn syrup or refined sugar, chocolate milk was the better option,. However milk products rank in the top 5 for food allergies and there is a long list of reasons why adults should not drink milk at all even organic milk has blood and pus in it. There are better choices, such as hard boiled eggs with a piece of fresh fruit like an organge or apple with nut butter or SO yogurt with fresh fruit like berries and bananas.These choices offer protein, natural sugars and some fats. I hope this gives you some good (healthy) options.
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake. I blend it with almond milk and ice, then it's a lot thicker, feels like I'm eating a massive meal :) I also think it's a very quick way to intake my protein after working out :)