sugar free jam recipes

Options
rdonald57
rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
I found this on the internet and tried it.

sugar free jalepeno recipe
10 cups fresh jalapenos, 8 cups when finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, leave out if desired
1 red bell pepper, leave out if desired
1 3/4 cups cider vinegar
5 -7 drops green food coloring, leave out if desired
2 (1 3/4 ounce) packages Sure-Jell (No sugar needed type in pink box)
3 cups Stevia Truvia, natural sweetener

Combine all ingredients and bring to boil and puit in sterilized jars 1 inch from top.
Then boil jars for 15 min. (The basic canning process)

I never found the pink box of sure jell but found one that said sugar not required. I left out food coloring and bell peppers and made it only for one jar and added some orange zest and lime but i am extremely happy with the result. I did not can it, but just keep it in the refrig.
A spicy hot jelly which spikes up my breakfast and hopefully speeding up my metabolism for the day. I also am interested in trying it as a glaize on my barbeque.

I really am excited about all these new sugar free sweetners and wondered if any1 else is doing anything with them.

Replies

• adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This was shared by a fellow MFP friend:

4 cups any fruit (I've used this with raspberries and blueberries with great success)
    2 cups of sugar substitute (I use Stevia in the raw, Splenda would likely work too)
    1 pkg of Sugar Free Jello, flavor of your choice, OR 1 pkg plain gelatin

This recipe usually makes Three 8 oz jars worth of jam. I do not follow standard procedures for sealing and so forth, that's up to you if you want to do that. I usually just lid them while they're warm and stick them in the fridge. With a family of four they never last long enough to go bad!

Clean fruit thoroughly, removing any stems, pits, blemishes peelings on peaches, etc. Cut up larger fruits to small bite sized pieces. Place fruit in a medium size pot, and using a potato masher, gently mash the fruit. Add the sugar substitute and place over a medium to medium high heat. Within about 30 seconds it will all come together as sort of a creamy colored chunky liquid. Using a whisk, continue stirring the liquid until it is almost to the point of a full boil.

Remove from heat. While stirring, pour in the Jello/Gelatin until well blended. Pour into jars, and let cool slightly before putting lids on, cool almost completely before putting in the refrigerator.

The calories come out to about 8 calories for 1/2 oz. Because of the lack of sugar this recipe isn't quite as gooey as regular homemade jam. It spreads really easily and very thinly so you'll have to use your judgement over how much you want. It is very easy to get creative with the flavors if you use the jello instead of the gelatin. Blueberry lemon, cherry lime, so forth! Just don't feel you have to match your jello to your fruit. The selection on the sugar free stuff is much more limited than the regular version so a little playing may be in order to find something to use.
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks, i will try it out. Looks like the possiblity of alot of variety.
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Let me know what you think. I want to make SF Cherry but have not had the time. Good to meet you on here and congrats on the 20lbs lost!
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    My favorite is blending berries until pureed, adding a little pinch of stevia and sea salt, and then some ground chia seed. Refrigerate until jelly-like.
    YUM!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've been making a lot of sugar free jam lately.

4 Cups of strawberries (halves)
    3/4 Cup of Water
    1 box of Surejell no sugar needed pectin
    1/2 Cup of splenda

I mash the strawberries while they heat on the stove with pectin and water.

Bring to a rolling boil, and then stir constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add splenda, and then ladle into freezer safe jars.

I love it.