Harder to lose weight when you get older?

Options
Hi,

i just turned 40 and although I am happy that I have been losing weight, it seems like it is much harder and taking longer.
Is it because of my age. I remember people saying that the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight.
Is that true?

It is very frustrating, wondering what other people's experiences are?

Thanks!

Replies

• awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes it is harder...I am 37 and it is much more difficult to lose weight now than when I was in my 20's. Just hang in there it will happen just takes a little bit longer.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep. Hard but not impossible. I'm 50, and I remember it being much easier in my 20's.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Another yes! It does take longer, and I have to workout much longer and harder than I did in my younger years. I'm over fifty and it takes the scales a longer time to move in the downward direction. I joined MFP in March. It took about 6 weeks for me to see a loss. :frown: just keep logging and exercising!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think it does affect the speed of weight loss, but I wonder if in reality it really does. I should google around. I'm 43, almost 44, and it has taken me an entire year to lose 17 pounds. Granted, I am strength training and my body shape has totally changed, but still, that's a slow weight loss for me; in my 30's, I lost 20 pounds in like 3 months.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's much harder for me as well. I'll be 39 in a couple of weeks and have been working out 6-7 days a week for 6 weeks now. The scale finally moved for the first time last week. In my late 20's I lost it much faster. Guess I should have kept it off!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and while I'll agree that the weight adds up easier I don't think it's really that much harder to take off. I used to never gain weight despite eating tons of terrible stuff when I was in my early 20s. Looking back I think what it was is that I would skip meals because I was busy and then ate huge dinners. My total calorie intake probably wasn't extreme. Now that I'm older and married I have more scheduled meals and skipping really never happens. It's easy to add too much when I eat and when I eat at a continuous schedule it makes it even easier to gain the weight.

Watch your calorie intake, exercise, try to avoid tons of carbs and when you do eat carbs have some protein with it to keep your insulin levels from peaking.
  • Big_Port
    Big_Port Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's more to do with life and other obligations as we get older then it is to do with your age.....4 months=38 pounds....just hard work, exercise and eating right. Maybe I'm just lucky but I firmly believe you get out of this what you put into it.....
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I think it definitely is harder! We tend to get more sedentary, metabolism slows, and we lose muscle mass as we age (unless we take steps to build muscles and slow this decline).

But harder is not impossible! I've just completed a year long effort to become fitter and healthier and I'm now at my goal weight. I turned 50 a couple of months ago. If you are interested, I blogged about my year: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It is not just a matter of opinion, it is harder - for women - I don't know about men. Even weight watchers reduces the amount of points women are allotted with age - although not enough for me. Just google "weight loss during perimenopause" and find a thousand articles and books.

I couldn't lose weight to save my life (literally) until I started strength-training. It is possible, you just have to work at and be patient.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I"m 44 and it seems like it's harder but I've never really tried all that hard before.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lose weight to save my life (literally) until I started strength-training. It is possible, you just have to work at and be patient.

That's the ticket to increasing your metabolism. Like I said elsewhere today no matter what your current metabolism is like your body can't tell your muscles "No" when they ask for fuel. Muscle tissues get given all the fuel they ask for. Your body can get better conditioned to use less and less calories during cardio but how does it cope with you picking up a heavier dumbbell? It can't so it has to pour out the energy to do the work.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's harder but it's not an excuse.

Have you had your thyroid tested? I was exactly your age when I developed that problem.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's harder to lose and to maintain Well, maybe not harder but your metabolism naturally slows a little every year so you have to either exercise more or eat less to maintain the same weight. Age 40 was about when I noticed it start.

Now at age 51, my TDEE at sedentary is about the same as the BMR of many women in their 20's. And it's only going to get worse in the next few years. :grumble:
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    Yes it is harder...I am 37 and it is much more difficult to lose weight now than when I was in my 20's. Just hang in there it will happen just takes a little bit longer.

A lot longer it seems! Guess I will just keep trying!

Thanks!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    Yep. Hard but not impossible. I'm 50, and I remember it being much easier in my 20's.

I agree, it seems like when I was younger it was easier. I wish I had kept it all off when I did lose it back then.

Thanks!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    Another yes! It does take longer, and I have to workout much longer and harder than I did in my younger years. I'm over fifty and it takes the scales a longer time to move in the downward direction. I joined MFP in March. It took about 6 weeks for me to see a loss. :frown: just keep logging and exercising!

6 weeks to see a loss? Wow, took about waiting a long time. I admire your dedication.

Thanks!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    I think it does affect the speed of weight loss, but I wonder if in reality it really does. I should google around. I'm 43, almost 44, and it has taken me an entire year to lose 17 pounds. Granted, I am strength training and my body shape has totally changed, but still, that's a slow weight loss for me; in my 30's, I lost 20 pounds in like 3 months.

17lbs in a year? Wow, you are also dedicated. I would just give up if it took me that long I am sure.
    I do realize I have been heavy all my life and it will take time, but that is a very long time. It has taken me about 4 months to lose 10lbs. I think I just have to realize my body has changed.
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    It's much harder for me as well. I'll be 39 in a couple of weeks and have been working out 6-7 days a week for 6 weeks now. The scale finally moved for the first time last week. In my late 20's I lost it much faster. Guess I should have kept it off!
    [/quote

I was thinking the same thing! I wished I had kept it off in my 20's instead of regaining it all back.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    It is a lot harder as you get older to lose weight. Your body loses muscle mass as you age. You have to counter that with weights and resistence training. Also, as we get older we tend to sit in an office, have children to drive from place to place. All of this makes it harder to lose and maintain. I have found losing weight in my 20's was far easier than in my 30's and especially after having babies. I have to watch everything I eat, lift weights, run, stretch, put the fried foods and desserts down. It is hard.

The upside? You can do it!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    I'm 40 and while I'll agree that the weight adds up easier I don't think it's really that much harder to take off. I used to never gain weight despite eating tons of terrible stuff when I was in my early 20s. Looking back I think what it was is that I would skip meals because I was busy and then ate huge dinners. My total calorie intake probably wasn't extreme. Now that I'm older and married I have more scheduled meals and skipping really never happens. It's easy to add too much when I eat and when I eat at a continuous schedule it makes it even easier to gain the weight.

Watch your calorie intake, exercise, try to avoid tons of carbs and when you do eat carbs have some protein with it to keep your insulin levels from peaking.

Thank you!