unhealthy eating in america

So.. i got to thinking... I am old enough to remember when they were allowed to show cigarette and hard liquor commercials on TV. They banned the TV commercials, but allowed them to keep with print ads, but the main reason being because of the health issue. If the government is so concerned with the obesity crisis in America, how about they ban TV commercials for any food product that gets more than 30% of it's calories from fat?? And for that matter, how about we ban the unhealthy commercials all together? "Good Mood Food", "4th Meal" and the Dove chocolate commercials that show a stressed out mom treating herself to chocolate?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Hmmmmm, we have ads for liquor on TV in Canada (not for smokes) and I understand the "ban" in the US is actually a voluntary one for liquor.

I could just imagine the litigation that would arise from trying to impose that kind of censorship, certainly the lawyers would have a field day . (You'd ban ads for butter?) The reality is that so-called junk food is only unhealthy if consumed in excessive quantities, a burger and fries every now and again never killed anyone. Perhaps a more logical approach would be to end the subsidies for corn (that's one of the factors that allows fast food to be sold so cheaply in the US) and redirect the money into public education. People have the right to make choices, even bad ones as long as they don't harm others.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    making the right choices would be true for smoking and drinking as well... problem being, people don't make the right choices.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    I always see liquor ads on TV. Those were never banned. As for banning fast food commercials, that will never happen.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    There are beer ads, yes, but whiskey and the like?? only in print.

I realize it would never happen, my point being that if the government is as concerned with obesity as it was with alcoholism and smoking, it would take a stand. All the people who advertise now would still advertise, but have to highlight healthier choices and keep the super fattening choices to the print ads.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    making the right choices would be true for smoking and drinking as well... problem being, people don't make the right choices.

Therein lies the problem....what are the "right" choices? I don't think even the most hardcore tobacco executive would try to argue that smoking doesn't cause harm (hence all of the big tobaccos companies diversifying and attacking foreign markets). But with things like alcohol and fast foods there is nothing inherently unsafe about the product when consumed in moderation, the concept of "right choices" becomes very subjective.

I have a real problem with the idea of a Big Brother kind of society, it's a slippery slope to censoring the news, censoring books etc. Living in a free society places a burden on the individual to accept the consequences of the choices they make.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

Therein lies the problem....what are the "right" choices? I don't think even the most hardcore tobacco executive would try to argue that smoking doesn't cause harm (hence all of the big tobaccos companies diversifying and attacking foreign markets). But with things like alcohol and fast foods there is nothing inherently unsafe about the product when consumed in moderation, the concept of "right choices" becomes very subjective.

I have a real problem with the idea of a Big Brother kind of society, it's a slippery slope to censoring the news, censoring books etc. Living in a free society places a burden on the individual to accept the consequences of the choices they make.

^ Agreed.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    So.. i got to thinking... I am old enough to remember when they were allowed to show cigarette and hard liquor commercials on TV. They banned the TV commercials, but allowed them to keep with print ads, but the main reason being because of the health issue. If the government is so concerned with the obesity crisis in America, how about they ban TV commercials for any food product that gets more than 30% of it's calories from fat?? And for that matter, how about we ban the unhealthy commercials all together? "Good Mood Food", "4th Meal" and the Dove chocolate commercials that show a stressed out mom treating herself to chocolate?

I live in the United States and see commercials for liquor (Ciroc, etc), beer and other types of alcohol all the time...........

And there is nothing wrong with 30% fat. Hell, I eat upwards of 60% fat daily.

It is the sugar and fat combination that is the problem. Pick one...........higher carb or higher fat and make the other one lower. So it is either lower fat, higher carb OR higher fat, lower carb.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

I realize it would never happen, my point being that if the government is as concerned with obesity as it was with alcoholism and smoking, it would take a stand. All the people who advertise now would still advertise, but have to highlight healthier choices and keep the super fattening choices to the print ads.

Where do you live?

I see Jack Daniels whiskey, Ciroc Vodka, Shmirnoff flavored vodkas, etc all in TV commericals.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member

^ Agreed.

I agree with this, too.
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member

Very well said. I am a adult and don't need government micromanaging my life.
  • Peppah7
    Peppah7 Posts: 64 Member
    I HATE that 4th meal marketing - SO disturbing...
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Damnit. Now I want some Dove..
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member

I see commercials for liquors often... I remember some from a little while back that taught you how to make mixed drinks. I remember because, there was one that had milk in it and that creeped me out a little. :sick:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Liquor commercials are not banned in America. Banning commercials for foods with > 30% fat would mean you couldn't advertise olive oil, which few dispute has health benefits.

Cigarettes commercials were banned because there was clear link to cancer and clear evidence that they are addictive. There is no such clear evidence for the other foods you mentioned.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    I live in the US and see TV commercials for Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, etc all the time. I don't know where you're getting this "only in print" stuff from :huh:
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    I hate the 4th meal marketing too. In reality it's more like my 7th or 8th meal if I were to be eating that late....idiots ^_^
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    I don't think there should be advertisements for fast food or crap cereals in children's programs, but it can be hard to define "crap" in a fair way. Ultimately, if we spent less time in front of the TV we wouldn't be subjected to these ridiculous advertisements. My TV doesn't get channels so we just watch DVDs. If I want to watch a TV show, I watch on hulu.com. Luckily, hulu doesn't have a lot of food advertisers so I don't have to worry about it =)
  • heretic911
    heretic911 Posts: 66 Member

A good point, too much big brother action can be scary, obesity is a very serious issue but banning ads doesn't seem like the answer, maybe more nutrition education aimed towards the kids??
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154

Uh yes we have whiskey and the like on TV. In fact I can't go a day without seeing adverts for Pucker Vodka advertising its flavored alcohol.

And really, does anyone actually think that by limiting or even banning completely ads for unhealthy stuff will stop anyone from still going and doing it? If someone wants to do it, legal or not, chances are they'll find a way to do it. Personally I think if we did a ban, there would be millions of people going into fast food joints as backlash. We can't baby this country.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member

I see commercials for liquors often... I remember some from a little while back that taught you how to make mixed drinks. I remember because, there was one that had milk in it and that creeped me out a little. :sick:

Yep, disarono (or however you spell it). I dunno how that particular liquor tastes (and don't want to) but who knows, it might be tasty with milk. I think it depends what channels you watch, some (like A&E, TBS, the more cable tv stations) show these types of commercials more than ABC & NBC. Just like you don't really see Bratz or Barbie commercials on TBS. I think what needs to be done is putting a limit on marketing to kids. The kids will already want that box of sugary gummy treats in the brightly colored box on their own and will drive their parents nuts with it, but when they see a commercial of other kids enjoying them and adding in playful cartoon characters they're going to want it more.