Too much protein???

Options
2»

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It depends on your workouts. I lift weights so I'm shooting for my body weight in protein grams per day, at 136.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    While I agree that the MFP protein levels are too low, it can be unhealthy to take in too much protein. 1 gram per pound is definitely pushing the limit on protein from what I've researched. You need to be doing a lot of heavy lifting with that kind of intake. From what I've read, if you have a family history of kidney problems, high protein intake is dangerous.

I did see an article on the mayo clinic website that said that a high protein diet for six months as part of a weight loss program is safe although it also cautioned that a lot of people failed to monitor their calorie and carb intake after the diet was finished and regressed badly. Definitely don't worry about exceeding the MFP values on a regular basis.
  • nonworkoutdays
    Options
    why are people calculating it gram per bodyweight.....its suppose to be per LBM( lean body mass) converted into kg

then its anywhere from .8 - 2.2g per kg depending on your activity level and goals