Best Healthy choices for dinner out

Options
ewunia99
ewunia99 Posts: 121 Member
Hi Folks,

I'm on a roll now, and I cannot fall off my track even when I hang out with my friends! I have two dinner dates with friends this weekend, might turn into three...

Usually I eat too much with friends, but I am now determined to stay healthy especially now that I am finally seeing a few results!

What is everyone's BEST suggestions for healthy dinner meals, maybe something beyond salad since that is an easy choice!

Thanks, and feel free to add me as a friend too I could use more supporters!

Replies

• Sarahkate1017
    Options
    What helps me is to look up the menu ahead of time and choose what I am going to order before I even go to the restaurant. Then I am not tempted to order something crappy as a last second decision. If I really don't want to get a salad, I look at the fish and chicken options. Look for words like grilled, broiled, and baked. Stay away from anything fried or sautéed, as they usually use lots of butter or oil. If something comes with fries or something like that, ask for steamed veggies instead. Or, order whatever you would like and only eat half! I just don't have the willpower to do that! Hope this helps!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to go out - I look up the menu beforehand so I can get nutritional info.
    Here are some tips:
    - salad with the dressing on the side (and make sure you don't get cheese, bacon, etc. on the salad)
    - only eat HALF of what you order (bring the other half home)
    - take off any dressing or toppings or sauce you may have - like if the chicken has sauce on it, try and wipe as much of it off as possible because there are probably lots of calories in it :p
    - avoid anything fried :P
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm going out this weekend too-tonight for my boyfriend's mother's bday and tomorrow for my mom's bday. Both times I've looked at the menus and found what will fit in for me ahead of time (for tomorrow's I had to guess and use another restuarants sandwich with the same stuff cause it's a smaller unknown restuarant to MTP.)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on what type of cuisine you'll be eating. Foods from some countries (vietnam, Japan, for instance) are easier in terms of being able to find healthy options than others.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are going. If available I try to stick with grilled fish or chicken or a small steak as the entree with veggie sides (such as a baked sweet potato and 'seasonal veggie'). When trying to eat healthy I usually avoid bread and rice when out because whole grain is rarely available.