A word of warning to new comers

Options

Replies

• flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How many calories does trolling burn?

Apparently not enough to reduce the size of fat, swollen heads.

Seriously, anyone who takes advice they find on the internet without doing their own research deserves what they get.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to meet people, get motivated and feel supported. This is unfortunately also a great place to get a wide range of advice from people who are not necessarily nutritionists. I've seen great advise and I've seen some not so great advice. I've also seen dangerous advice. Reach out, get opinions, get motivated, but run any dietary decisions by your MD a licensed nutritionist. Not all weight loss is safe weight loss.

common sense on the internet?! BURN THE WITCH.:flowerforyou:
    seriously, good point about seeking medical advice from sources other than the internet where everyone's an expert and no one agrees.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wonderful info Davidr. Thank you so much. I read these posts every single day and I see just what you are talking about. I also see how mean people can be.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure why I'm still addressing this but perhaps you should re-read my post. I said "there is great advice and not so great advise". What part of that do you disagree with? Do you really think all of the advise here is good? Have you ever read anything that you might consider dangerous? All I'm saying to the new comers is to be careful and not to take advice from every person who might have read an Internet article. I never offered myself for advise. I offered to be friends with people who want to lose weight without the "extreme" diets. Why are you so offended by that?

1) I am not offended, I am pointing out your hypocrisy. AND sustaining insults in the meantime. I did not insult you, and I still had some random third party decide to "put me in my place" with her sexist comment.

2) You are not QUALIFIED to say what an unhealthy diet looks like. The fact that you warned the users of this site not to trust any of the information posted here and then chimed in about "unhealthy" dieters shows that you are a hypocrite and you offer ill-informed advice. Just like the people you purport to warn us about.
    I noticed you didn't answer any of my questions. Does that mean you think all of the advice here is good, safe advice? How am I a hypocrite for saying be careful. I never told people "not to trust any of the information posted here". On the contrary, I said there is both good and bad advice. I never claimed to be anything other than concerned that individuals desperate to lose weight should be careful. You seemed very bothered by that.

Some people come on here just looking to fight and looking for things to pick apart. Don't waste your time defending something that doesn't need to be defended. You made a great point.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    How many calories does trolling burn?

^ Winning.
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I couldnt agree more with this post!! I am using this site in conjunction with my doctor.... Very well said!! Thank You!!
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    easily agree! Great advice! Just cause some one has lost a ton of weight doesn't me they are the expert in all things weight loss.! ~Corina
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - make sure you are consulting with a Registered Dietitian, not someone who calls him or herself a nutritionist. To say you are a "nutritionist" requires no credentials.
    I am having my cards printed up tomorrow...lol
    Bobby Clerici
    Nutritionist / Bail Bondsman

LOL
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    thanks for giving new comers some great advise!....I been here since March so not so new!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    While I agree that people need to be careful on here of bad information, I think it would be much more helpful for you to write a post about what you've learned from the experts and what is working for you instead of just saying, "watch out." For people just starting out, it's not easy to tell what is good and bad information. The media makes weight loss sound so incredibly difficult and expensive, when, while difficult, it's not as hard as people think and definitely doesn't have to be expensive.

Otherwise, I agree with this post's message to be wary of poor information.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    While I agree that people need to be careful on here of bad information, I think it would be much more helpful for you to write a post about what you've learned from the experts and what is working for you instead of just saying, "watch out." For people just starting out, it's not easy to tell what is good and bad information. The media makes weight loss sound so incredibly difficult and expensive, when, while difficult, it's not as hard as people think and definitely doesn't have to be expensive.

Oh I think weight loss has been much, much more difficult that I thought it would be.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Oh I think weight loss has been much, much more difficult that I thought it would be.

I'm not saying it's easy, but I don't think you need magic pills, cleanses, miracle undies, etc. to do it. It's all about finding a balance in your eating and exercise habits. THAT part is not easy, but the principle is simple.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I made my original post after getting attacked for saying people should not drop below their BMR. I just thought a heads up should was in order. The best thing I've ever read was to take advise to the pro's and see if they agree.
  • gabjay1621
    Options
    Good for you for sticking to it and having a goal of good food and exercise! My sugars have improved immensely in the last month...putting my books away, going for a walk have helped lots...its the little things....the smaller portions....
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options

He cannot post what you should be weary of or what you 'should be doing' because then he would be one of the people giving advice without having proper credentials to do so. Weight loss is incredibly difficult. It takes a ton of mental strength and will power to undo all the bad/unhealthy habits we have become accustomed to.

OP- Kudos to you! People can be incredibly mean, sarcastic, rude and just downright ignorant on these forums and for what purpose? ( eh hem coughsourgirlcough eh hem) I've found a great group of supportive friends on here. :flowerforyou:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!:drinker:
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Always make your own decisions. I've seen stuff on Dr. Oz that was scary, and not recommended by ANY doctor or medical book i researched. We all need to learn how to trust ourselves. The populists exist everywhere. We owe it to ourselves to be as educated as we can.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is interested in safe consistent weight loss is welcome to friend me. If you're one of those people who think eating below your BMR is safe and extreme weight loss is sustainable then I'm not really going to be a great friend for you. I get all of my advice from my MD. a nutritionist, and the Mayo Clinic. I'm always looking to make friends to support and to be supported.

I am curious to know if you consider my loss 'extreme' as you mentioned above. I don't think losing alot is extreme, I think it's the speed in which you do it or HOW you do it. I personally just changed the way I ate, and I started exercising. I even cheat 1-2 days a week (so I go more weekly cals, then daily cals) anyways, it has taken me 15 months and I personally don't feel it's extreme.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    OP I'd really love your feedback on my thread then:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/676390-plateau?page=1#posts-9867173

Getting really frustrated at being 'stuck' way off my target and would love any (sensible) advice :smile: x
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up :drinker: