Going out...does it have to be salad?

Options
I'm going out tonight with some friends and I'm trying to pre-plan. I feel safe ordering salad at most places, I know what to cut from it, how much dressing, etc. I get tired of eating salad though. Can someone recommend something else? We are going to On The Border and today I have 344 cals, 61 carbs, and 14 grams of fat left to work with. Not much for dinner but I'm only aloud 1200 a day. I have been moderately busy around the house, so I could probably go a little over but it's not much to work with.

Anyone want to take a stab at it? Thanks!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd go for some sort of protein - steak, fish etc, grilled or baked. With steamed or boiled veg, or salad with little dressing to accompany. Easy on the starchy carbs (potatoes, rice, bread)

Is there any nutrtional info on their website?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    From their website:

Mesquite-Grilled Steak fajita As Served 390cal 10fat 1carbs 32protein

listed without rice or condiments.
  • o2barichgirl
    Options
    I like Melanie's suggestion...especially the fish. But, a small rib-eye should be okay, too. I had a salad for lunch so am looking forward to real food tonight. How did you establish the 1200 cal. per day? That seems a little low to me.:smile:
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    http://www.ontheborder.com/PDFs/OTB_NutritionBW.pdf

Look at the calories they list...and pick something you want to eat that fits into where you're at for the day
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I always go for fajitas and ask for light oil when I go out for Mexican :)
  • adm1980
    adm1980 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm new to MFP so I really don't know how it all works but that is what it tells me (1200 cal). I'm assuming it's so low because I don't have regular exercise built in and I'd like to lose 2lbs a week. I originally put in exercise 3 Xs a week and it still gave me 1200 cals. I decided it to modify to what I get now (none!) and hopefully modify it again soon with some exercise at least 3 Xs a week. I used to do a work out video after my second and lost 45lbs, with about 1500 cals/day and working out 4xs a week. I should probably get back to it so I can eat a little more.
  • adm1980
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I didn't even think about the menu being online.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    OP - check out this thread for some guidance about how much you should be eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If there is something that really sounds good to you, you can always get it and save half for tomorrow. Ask for the box when they bring your food so that it isn't sitting right infront of you. Ask them to take away the chips and salsa (if nobody that you are eating with objects) so that they aren't tempting you too. I think that the take home half of your meal works best if you don't eat out all the time though.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    fajitas but only eat the meat and veggies...the tortillas will take you way over.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    OP - check out this thread for some guidance about how much you should be eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

And this.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    try to know in advance where you are going so you can plan ahead and earn the necessary calories for your chosen dish. Many restaurants have their menu & nutritional information online these days, so it's easy to plan.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    And it's okay to go over your calorie limit for the sake of fun every now and then.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! Eat a balanced meal. Watch the sodium. Eating out is a high sodium affair. But eat out and enjoy yourself. Eat until you're full. Then, stop. Try and order quality food, not junk. Avoid breads and too many carbs. What carbs you eat should be good carbs. Keep the sugar low.
  • adm1980
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

It checked the menu but even the chicken fajitas (minus rice, beans, tortillas or condiments), I guess just meat and onions and peppers, is very close to the limit.

I usually do corn tortillas, no oil, no sour cream, no rice, w/ salsa, a little guac. and black beans. That is probably twice what I have left.

It may be the chicken salad...
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    fajitas but only eat the meat and veggies...the tortillas will take you way over.

THIS. sometimes I just ask them to swap extra veggies and nix the tortillas.
  • BChamp1226
    BChamp1226 Posts: 26
    Options
    This is from their menu..

Jalapeno-BBQ Salmon As Served cal - 590, fat - 21, carbs - 45, protien - 54