I do not want to workout. :(

Options
It's Friday afternoon and I brought my gym clothes to work with great intentions. I feel sleepy though and would love nothing more than to go home after the day is over. Is there any reason i should go workout today? :/

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The gym sessions you go to when you really don't want to are the ones to be proud of.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have to talk myself into it very day. After you are glad you did.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    The gym sessions you go to when you really don't want to are the ones to be proud of.

^^ He speaks the truth. I am always super proud of myself for going through with a workout I didn't want to do. You can do it!
  • sexy_RN88
    sexy_RN88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Reasons you want to work out today:

Exercise releases endorphins, which will give you a boost of good-mood juice.
    You'll feel proud that you pushed yourself instead of making excuses.
    You won't wake up tomorrow morning feeling guilty that you skipped a workout because you just didn't feel like it.
    It's a great way to start the weekend.
    It will give you enough energy to power through the rest of the evening.
    It will get you to your goals just that much faster!
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be in better shape? Why do you go work out at all? Answer those, if you have that answer, that is why.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    suck it up and DO IT.

you'll feel so much better after it's over.

you'll feel better about yourself for having gotten past a mental hurdle
  • ncbecker13
    ncbecker13 Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes you are right it's Friday afternoon and all you want to do it go home and flop on the couch. BEEN THERE! But maybe consider this... When I really don't want to workout, I bribe myself with a healthy treat or pampering session post-workout. Think of something you'd really like to do this evening and treat yourself to it after you complete a great workout!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I find that the days i dont want to are usually the days I end up pushing myself harder and reach a new workout goal. Dont give up on yourself!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options

This ^

You will feel so good after getting in a good workout.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    It's only ONE day. Enjoy it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No, there isn't a reason that you should work out today.

If your body or mind doesn't feel like it then it's for a reason.

It sounds like you are more likely to injure yourself or stress your body.

Apologies for this radical concept, now back to the standard 'motivational' posts.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Success at anything, fitness, health, career is all comprised of making the right choices and forming the right habits. It's not about how you feel on a friday afternoon. It's moments like this that represent the crossroads between great and mediocre!
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Go and workout, and if you're still dragging after ten minutes and don't want to be there, let yourself go home. It's how I've convinced myself to work out before, and usually once the ten minutes are up, I'm into it and ready to finish my workout. It's a good way to tell if you're really not physically up for working out, or just not in the right mental space.

I've left once because i really was bone-tired and working out wasn't helping. But I was proud of going for ten--and like others said earlier in this thread, the workouts you do when you're not sure you want to be there will be the ones you're the most proud of.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I was exhausted when I left work and still went to the gym. Once there and into a few sets, I energized. Get your butt up and GO! :)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT.

One phrase always sticks with.

You will never regret doing a workout.

You will regret not working out.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You all bring up great points so I'm going to go. I did not go last night cause I was sore from my Brazilian butt workout from my class on Wednesday, so I need to go today.

Thank you all for being so awesome and for helping me see that I must continue moving forward!
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Go and workout, and if you're still dragging after ten minutes and don't want to be there, let yourself go home. It's how I've convinced myself to work out before, and usually once the ten minutes are up, I'm into it and ready to finish my workout. It's a good way to tell if you're really not physically up for working out, or just not in the right mental space.

I've left once because i really was bone-tired and working out wasn't helping. But I was proud of going for ten--and like others said earlier in this thread, the workouts you do when you're not sure you want to be there will be the ones you're the most proud of.

This is what I would do when I used to work 10 hours and then go to the gym. If I wanted to leave after 15 minutes I would allow myself. Never happened, I always wanted to stay and finish :)
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No, there isn't a reason that you should work out today.

If your body or mind doesn't feel like it then it's for a reason.

It sounds like you are more likely to injure yourself or stress your body.

Apologies for this radical concept, now back to the standard 'motivational' posts.

I understand what you're trying to say, but if your theory were really true, that "reason" is why I'm heavy. :laugh:

I NEVER want to work out. Ever. When I get up and I just do it, I feel great!
    There is never really a day I wake up and say, "Yes! Let's WORK OUT!"
    I don't think it has anything to do with stress or injury; I'm just lazy. :tongue:

You SHOULD work out because you will feel great after you do, you will feel accomplished and you can rest the rest of the evening. :bigsmile:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you don't go, you'll spend the whole night mad at yourself. GO!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options

This! Excellent advice. :flowerforyou: