Tommorow i'll start over.....

Options
Tomorrow i'll start over.....:grumble: it's something I say to myself EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!! I start out the day eating a slim fast and then for lunch a slim fast and something light and then after that I eat something so bad and I say "oh well I just ruined so i might as well binge the rest of the day and....." "TOMORROW I'LL START OVER"!!!!!!!!!! and the next day is a repeat of that........ and the next day........ and the next day....... and well you get the point! See I know I have the power! b/c almost 7 months ago when I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes. and I knew the dangers of it b/c my sister n law had it and my niece was over 9lbs when she was born and had low blood sugar. I put myself on a strict diet and I stuck to it and I am proud to say I had a very healthy 7lb little boy! I did it then b/c I knew I wanted this baby to be healthy.... but now that i don't have a little life inside of me I can't stick to anything! What can I do?

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You may not have a little life inside you but you should still eat right so you can keep up with your son when he becomes a very healthy active toddler not to mention when you have gestational diabetes your risks of getting type 2 diabetes are higher so you should eat right and exercise so you don't have to worry about that.

Another thing you might consider is stopping the slimfast or eating something with it because obviously you are hungry thats why you go balls to the wall when you eat (excuse my language) if your going to do slimfast get the slimfast bars and eat a snack-

a 190 calorie drink isn't going to hold you 4 hours until your next meal you need to have snacks
    am meal
    am snack
    afternoon meal
    afternoon snack
    dinner
    then possibly a snack

try that also stop putting off until tomorrow because plenty of tomorrows will go by and you will just throw in the towel and gain more weight.
    Sorry if you take this rude but I am a blunt no beating around the bush person and some people need a swift kick in the pants.

Good luck with your journey
  • Midnightsnack
    Options
    Sounds Like me girl, I know it's hard. What I decided last week was to set a GOAL for myself, I'm not engaged yet, but I know the time is coming soon cause we talk about it, and dang it, I want to look good in a dress.. So I set my goal last week that everytime I want something I shouldn't I just tell myself, "I got to fit into a beautiful wedding dress." It's really been helping so far. I know I can do it, because 2 years ago I lost 27 pounds in 4 months, and well, I gained it all back, but I know it can be done, and you can do it too! Just set a goal for yourself, something you know you REALLY want. Hope this helps!
  • Midnightsnack
    Options
    BTW, I just decided this goal last week, and just started it this morning, so this is my first week on here.... here I go!
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I start over often. It's hard to believe in myself when I keep letting myself down, but what else can I do? I am getting married in May, but I have needed to get back to my old "normal" weight range for far too long. I would love to reach my goal by the end of the year and then maintain. Good luck to us all.
  • xStargazerx
    Options
    I used to drink slim fast also until I talked to my doctor about it. He said they are NO GOOD.He said they can cause kidney stones. I'm sure this is sure in some aspects but you need to eat more frequently so your meals should be about 300 6x's a day. Or do 3 meals at 300 and 2 100 calorie snacks. U overeat bc your not eating enough to sustain yourself when you wake. Thats another thing the doctor told me, he was not American, that people need t eat their largest meal in the morning, then lunch is the second largest and for dinner eat the salad. Have a snack at least 3 hours before bed. I have been trying to do that and when I can it works out with my calories. So good luck! I know you can do it!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    you can do this. ditch the slim fast and find a healthier protein shake and make sure your breakfast has around 300 calories. have a small snack mid morning, then lunch, then a mid afternoon snack, then dinner then a small evening snack. Get rid of all the food in your house that you overeat and have only healthy stuff. Never, never, never give up

Plan your whole day ahead of time and stick to the plan. Find a group to check in with on MFP.

Take it one day at a time.
    Take baby steps----you won't change your old habit all at once
    drink a lot of water---:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    for breakfast I eat 1 cup frozen blueberries and 1 cup organic non fat yogart and 1/4 cup kashi plus coffee. It is very filling and lasts until lunnch and is just over 300 calories leaving me lots of calorories for the rest of the day. I love it so much I sometimes eat it for 2 meals or cut the amounts to use it as a dessert/snacek.

I really think you need a good breakfast to last the rest of the day.

:smile: :wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Also, say to yourself when you wake up, 'today is yesterday's tomorrow.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I know the feeling! I'm a planner, I love writing lists, I love researching and reading, I love planning and saying I'm going to do stuff but to get me to do it and stick with it is crazy! I start out good but lose motivation quick and then I can't do it anymore but we have to keep trying and keep going and focused on the fact that we were blessed with another day :drinker:
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I am the same way...I do that all the time! It helps me to plan out my meals the day before, and log them into MFP before I eat them, it kinda shows you your progress before you do it, when I see how well I planned to eat for the day, it helps me. Ifget the craving for something I know is not good for me...instead of denying myself (which leads to my bingeing) I get on my treadmil and burn off the calories in that particular food first. Most of the time after that workout, I no longer want the food. Sometimes I have to remind myself how hard I have to work to burn off that small little 300 calorie candy bar, or bag of chips.

You can do this!!! Good luck to you!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Drop the Slim Fast and the "something light", and start eating real food several times/ day. That's step 1. If you're going to do this, it has to be something you can live with long-term, and Slim Fast just isn't going to cut it. :smile:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    holy crap.

EAT REAL FOOD!

How many calories a day are you on? I do best with breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. each large meal 300-400, each snack around 100. Works like a charm.
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    hang in there you'll succeed if you don't give up.

One thing I tried for a while was eating dinner at the beginning of the day and ending it with breakfast ei: chicken breast and veggies even a bun for breakfast then an apple for snack later on then non creamy lowfat soup for lunch and a bowl of raisin bran cereal for sup sup if hungry later on a cup of lightly buttered popcorn. This way you get off on a good start with enough energy carbs whatever you need. This worked for myself let us know if you try it :heart:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone. Just thought I'd stop by for a visit:happy: My home is the Women 50+ thread. Just recently I started doing the slim fast for breakfast because I get up at 5:00am and leave for work at 5:30. I don't have time to fix myself something and my husband stops to get coffee and a sandwhich just about every morning. The slim fast satifies me until about 9 and then I have a piece of fruit or a 100 calorie snack. I eat Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers for lunch about 11:30 or 12:00 and the a piece of fruit or another 100 calories snack about 1:00 or 2:00. Dinner is usually about 5:00pm and then I exercise. This is on a good day. :grumble: Everyone has to find what works for them. The most important thing is to eat healthy, drink that water and lots of it, (at least 8 to 10 glasses of water a day) and to exercise. Start out slow. If you are really overweight and get out of breath easy. Start with the Leslie Sansone 1 mile. It takes 15 minutes and will get you started. Work your way up to the 2 mile, then the 3 mile.
    You just need to move......Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday, Rosemary
    Always remember to Drink:drinker: Drink:drinker: Drink:drinker: that water
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I learned this from someone and it is to "JUST KEEP GOING", no matter what happens. Even if you fall, even if today you break the diet, keep going. It's not 1 day of eating "unhealthy" that is going to mess up your diet. The problem starts when we quit dieting. So, just keep going even if you slip, just keep going and keep dieting, exercising, and when you look at the date, you'll see that you have achieved your goals.
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, nothing that can sit on a shelf for months without growing mold or going stale can really be all that good for you (a few exceptions, maybe). My rule of thumb is that if it doesn't have a "shelf life" of less than 2 weeks, then I probably shouldn't be eating it.

That being said, slim-fasts would never make their way past these lips. In my opinion, it's fake food. Sure it's easy, but so is a home-made protein shake made with fresh ingredients.

I've posted this a lot on MFP, but it rings true everytime: just because you break one dish doesn't mean you throw out the entire set. So just because you eat something bad doesn't mean you throw the whole day out the window. It just means that you enjoy every little bite of that treat and then go for a brisk walk, do jumping jacks, or any activity that will counteract those unplanned calories.

Good luck :smile:
  • supermom1114
    Options
    First and foremost, you were able to keep to the strict diet during your pregnancy because you knew your little boy depended on you. Coming from one mommy to another, your little boy is still depending on you. He watches you everyday, including what you do and what you eat. If he sees you eating bad foods, he'll think its ok. Even as young as he is, you are programming into his head that the bad foods are ok because mommy eats them and shes happy when she eats them. My son is 10 1/2 months and anything I put into my mouth he wants to grab for and have a taste. After realizing this a few months ago I started asking myself if my son wanted to eat this would I give it to him? If the answer was no, then I stopped eating it. Your child WILL follow in your foot steps, you can't use the excuse do as I say not as I do. Even if you restrict his diet at home to healthy foods while you splurge on sweets, once he gets old enough to go to a friends house or school he was begin the habits you are showing him.

I know that comes across as harsh, but studies have shown that plaque build up in the arteries starts at an extremely young age. You don't want your son to not be able to run around the playground at recess because hes obese and out of breath after 5 seconds do you? You don't want to set your child up to have type II diabetes at age 14 do you? So use that as your motivator to stay on track.

As far as what you're eating, ditch the slim fast. Ditch protein shakes in general, they are useless. Yes maybe some will lose weight on them at first but unless you plan on depending on them for life, lose them. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, its the marathon of life, not a sprint. You need a diet filled with whole grains, a rainbow of colorful veggies and fruits- FRESH preferably or cooked with appropriate cooking methods- no frying or coating in buttery/sugary sauces. Eat red meat only once maybe twice a week, the rest of the time stick to fish or lean poultry- this means skinless white meat, not KFC, not even the KFC grilled crap. Also drink plenty of water, ditch sodas all together, watch your sodium intake.

Also, calories are NOT money, You can NOT "save" them up to "spend" on one big meal. Calories must go in at approximately the same rate they are burned, but you also want to create a deficit through exercise. So that means 5-6 small, well-rounded meals a day. Have a whole grain(not multigrain) WHOLE grain piece of toast with natural sugar free peanut butter, a piece of fruit and a glass of milk in the morning for breakfast. Have some carrot sticks 2-3 hours later with 2% string cheese. For lunch have a whole grain tortilla with shredded chicken, with 1/4 cup 2% shredded chicken, low sodium taco sauce, some chopped bell peppers and tomatoes and onions thrown on top and on the side have an apple or grapes, then 2-3 hours later have some whole grain crackers topped with slices of banana or strawberries and dark chocolate-IN THE PROPER PORTION SIZE Then for dinner have a salad of romaine lettuce or some other dark leafy green-NOT iceberg lettuce, 1/4 cup 2% shredded cheese, vinegar and olive oil, shredded carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion or w/e other veggies you'd like to throw on top, chickpeas or any kind of beans you'd like with it.

Thats just one day you can very things up but the biggest thing is eating small and often. Eating the majority of your calories in the morning and afternoon, have a light dinner, no sugar or carbs 3 hours before bed. Eat stuff that is minimally processed. Whole grain breads, pastas, brown rice, oatmeal-- all carbs you can love. Veggies and Fruits are a must! Lowfat to No-fat dairy products. Try only have one serving of meat a day and get your other protein servings from legumes, nuts, or eggs.

With all that said, plan one day a week to have a special treat, and stick to it. For me, I have to have my caramel frappucino on monday mornings. If I told myself I couldnt have starbucks for the rest of my life.. thats ridiculous so I let myself have it on the day Im the most stressed and feel I need a pick up the most. Also know what you're eating. If you know that you're going to be going to a certain restuarant for dinner or that you'll need to eat fast food on whatever day, check online for their nutrition info and select something that fits in your calories for the day before you go, that way theres less pressure when you get there because you wont even need to look at a menu and be tempted by all the pictures and yummy sounding descriptions.

Remember that this is for your life, don't be unreasonable, you cant cut out carbs forever, you cant cut out sugar forever if its something you love. Learn to accept that you like it, dont deny yourself but have self control and assign a day to have something decadent and truly savor and enjoy it. And I especially like what someone else posted about using the mantra that "today is yesterdays tomorrow" stick with it girl, you can do it!!!

If you need anymore advice or support or questions about diet, or exercise too just message me!!